Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Marrying Well

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Patriot1668, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Patriot1668

Patriot1668 SW Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

A friend of mine was laid off after a year or so with his newest employer. It looks like they hired him just to learn about their competition (previous employer), and let him go when they learned all he knew.

He was very worried about being 57 and looking for work. His industry is shrinking, and becoming less profitable.

He and his wife crunched the numbers. She earns a good salary, and has a sweet retirement plan accessible within five years or so. They could live off of her income while they waited for the rest of their retirement benefits to kick in. She suggested that 35 years was enough of a career for my friend, and that he should retire.

My buddy went from worrying to relief because of the love of this great woman. He stood by her through her cancer, and she stands by him now. He married well.

Last time I spoke to him he was planning on putting his kayak on the car, and going fishing the next morning. He was also working up some handloads for an old Winchester 25-20. I would be jealous if he wasn't like a brother to me. As it is I can't help but smile when I think of what she did for him.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

More than just husband and wife, sounds like best friends too! Beautiful.

pakrat57, Tbucket, Sgt Nambu and 4 others like this.
  3. waglockfan

waglockfan Puget Sound Well-Known Member

A very fortunate man.

Patriot1668 and Joe13 like this.
  4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I found that having a hobby that makes money helps when finances are tight.

5. Patriot1668

He's the kind of guy that deserves this sort of kindness. A Will Rogers type that gets along with damn near everyone.

Sgt Nambu, salmonriverjohn and Joe13 like this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I married up but my wife thinks the same:p even though I've pointed out some serious flaws in my character over the years.

In for the ups and in for the downs - 2 weeks away from our 20th anniversary and no end in sight that I could see. Definitely my best friend forever.

She went back to school to get her degree after I wound up with this unknown illness and laid off after 26 years of being the sole provider of finances.

She has a new job and is rocking it so I'd expect some quick promotions if they want to keep her;).

7. Patriot1668

Sorry to hear about your health issues, but glad to read that you can rely on your best friend to stand with you!

41Slinger and Joe13 like this.
  8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Heck of a woman. Ive never been with one that pulled her own weight financially.. Sadly.

Hope he enjoys the retired life.
    So.. Will he be the one making sammiches now instead of her? ;)

v0lcom13sn0w, Patriot1668 and Joe13 like this.
  9. Patriot1668

Yes, he'll pull a little house-husband duty. Nothing really strange about it for him, just more of the same. Still plenty of time to play. His kids are out :s0115:, and have their own lives.

10. beavernation

beavernation Canby Active Member

Im 51 and have 4yrs till I have 20 in w/ the state. I will have a small PERS acct and some income from a pension of a previous career. She is 33;) and has a Masters degree in the mental health field and I love her to death. I am a lucky man to have her blessing to step away from working full time when Im 55!!!

11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm glad your buddy has such a great relationship!

I also married a great gal! We're both retired now and get along even better than before!:) Valentine's Day is our 45th anniversary!

pakrat57, 41Slinger, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  12. Patriot1668

45 years! Congrats!

What is the traditional gift for the 45th anniversary? Pretzels? :D

pakrat57 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  13. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Hey! Another V-Day couple:).

We got married that day also.

41Slinger, Sgt Nambu and Patriot1668 like this.
  14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks!:)

Pugil Sticks!!!

Joe13, Patriot1668 and 41Slinger like this.
  15. 41Slinger

41Slinger Harrisburg Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My wife has put up with my crap for 41 years, that's hard to type, best choice I ever made, have no idea why she's still here as I'm old, grumpy, opinionated, snore and gassy. Love her to death. Just retired at the end of the year, you'll probably read about wife shoots husband with his own gun before long lol.

16. Joe13

Time to get some hobbies that take you out of the house (like shooting;)) or find a hobbie you can both enjoy (like shooting;)).

Congrats to you and the others that have 40+ years in. That will not be the exception in another 20 years at the rate things are going...

17. Patriot1668

I'm old, grumpy, opinionated, and I'm gassy, but I don't snore. Maybe there's still hope I can get married too?

pakrat57 and Joe13 like this.