Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Marlin XL7

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by steve7mm08, Oct 28, 2009.

1. steve7mm08

steve7mm08 portland, or. New Member

anyone own one of these? saw one at the local gun store for a great price, light weight, had a trigger simular to the savage accutrigger.

2. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

You have found an outstanding deal. Before I bought mine I did a lot of research and wondered about the accuracy claims. Here's a small sample I fired, I still haven't dialed it all the way in:

You'll find much more information here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?board=78.0

Put on a Nikon Prostaff scope and you'll be into an excellent rifle for under 450

3. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I saw one at Bi-mart the other day. $297 and American Made! I always have thought that Marlin made good products. Now, they are owned by Remington and Remington is also a maker of good products. I think that you would probably get many years of service from this rifle. I agree with with warnerwh about the Nikon Scope. My tired old eyes love Nikons!

4. shlo812

shlo812 Centralia/Chehalis WA Member

I have a black one in 30-06. I love it. It shoots as good or better than many rifles that are double and triple the price. I'm even thinking about going and picking up a camo one in 270!

5. smonk

smonk Oregon Member

Too bad it's only offered in three calibers: 30-06,270,25-06. I'd like to see them make this in more calibers.

6. warnerwh

I'm pretty sure the short action model is out. I think it's .308, 7mm-08 and whatever else I don't remember. The guys on the Marlin forum will know for sure. It's not a wide variety of calibers but the .06 is just right for almost anything.

It bugged me so I checked. The XS7 is out and the third caliber is .243.

7. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

Yep. The Marlin 2009 catalog shows this rifle in 6 calibers - 3 long action: 25-06, 270, 30-06; and - short action: 243, 7MM-08 and 308. This should be sufficient for most needs in this country.

8. smonk

smonk Oregon Member

I'd like to see it offered in .223. There is only one budget .223. (Stevens) Even the Savage .223's are 450.00 to 500.00.

9. cory41287

cory41287 washington New Member

i have an XL7 with a synthetic stock in 30-06. so far my only complaint is how sloppy the action is. does anyone els have any issues with the bolt lugs hanging up a bit when you close the action? my father has a stevens 110 in .308 and the action on it is pretty smooth, i'm assuming because its a 4-lug bolt?

10. warnerwh

After doing a lot of research I thought I would take a chance on one. With all the accuracy claims I had been concerned it was more hype than not. First time at the range and I hadn't fired a rifle in years I'm getting 5/8" to 3/4" groups and some even smaller. Totally blew me away having paid so little. The load I used was a load developed for another rifle I had. The bolt on my rifle locks up tight and the rifle has functioned perfectly.
    I've taken it to the range a number of times now and it's consistent even when the barrel warms up. This is the first 30-06 I have owned that would pull groups consistently under an inch. Go to: Reloader's Nest Forum - Select 30-06 loads for the Hunter or things mediumThe guy tried a number of various hand loads and the took pics of the target with the load listed. 3groups.jpg
    Don't think twice about buying one. These rifles are more accurate than most even costing a multiple of what you will pay.