JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I'm thinking about selling one of my bolt actions to make room for a lever gun. I love all my rifles to death but being a left handed shooter, they can be awkward for me to use. Simply put, I am looking for a hunting gun that I can keep on target for that follow-up shot should I need one. Marlin looks like a good option, the ejection port is on the right side, but so is the ejection port on my shotgun and I have no trouble shooting that southpaw. However, anyone have experience with the lever guns offered by Cimarron? I know they're usually aimed at the CAS community, but if they offer anything in .30-30, then they may find a customer in me. That being said, all I really know about them is that they look pretty. I've read good reviews, so that helps.

I'm looking into a Marlin myself, so any input would be helpful. A cursary internet seach seems to indicate their current QA is craptacular. I was really intrigued by the 338mx, but those seem to be out of production since the merger. So what I'm looking at these days is the 444.

I've owned a lot of lever guns. I'm also a southpaw. The Marlins are an excellent choice, I've all of the older ones. Solid 2" shooters @ 100 yds. Sometimes a little better w/ handloads and peep sight. Something else you might consider are the Browning BLR series. I've had 3 of them too and liked them. Accurate and better caliber selection too. Finally, if you like older rifles..... my personal favorite hunting rifle, the old Savage model 99. I wish they would build that again, but like a lot of the classics too expensive nowdays I guess.

I've owned a lot of lever guns. I'm also a southpaw. The Marlins are an excellent choice, I've all of the older ones. Solid 2" shooters @ 100 yds. Sometimes a little better w/ handloads and peep sight. Something else you might consider are the Browning BLR series. I've had 3 of them too and liked them. Accurate and better caliber selection too. Finally, if you like older rifles..... my personal favorite hunting rifle, the old Savage model 99. I wish they would build that again, but like a lot of the classics too expensive nowdays I guess.

I'm a lefty too. My first rifle was my dad's model 99 Featherweight in 308, so I have an affinity for leverguns--plus you don't have to pay a premium to for a lefty version. I've looked at the BLRs--nice guns, a little funky-looking and definitely more than I'm willing to pay for moderate accuracy.

I live in the Kirkland-Redmond area. Is there anyone near me who owns a Marlin in .30-30 who would be willing to let me put a few rounds through it? I'm thinking Marlin really is the way to go but I'd like to try before I buy. I'll bring my own ammo.

94 Marlins and Winchester 73s are popular with the Cowboy Action Shooters. I have a 1894 in 45LC and a Uberti 73 in 357. Both are raced for action shooting. I can dump 10 rounds in 3 seconds with the 73 (It's been short stroked), 4 seconds with the Marlin.

Have a 336 hanging on my wall that belongs to my neighbor. She leaves it at my place cause she doesn't know what to do with it and fears her boys will not respect it.

Oh yea, If your looking at Marlins find one stamped "JM" and not "REM" on the barrel. 2008 they were purchased by Remington and quality is not there yet. I hope they get things figured out cause Marlins are pretty stout rifles.

I'm left handed too.

I bought my two Marlin levers (1984CB357 & 1895SS) just before Remington took over. No complains. I love both. Don't know about Remlins.

My advice? Buy only f2f. Avoid online unless seller has a return policy you can live with. Get educated about potential pitfalls. Inspect thoroughly before you buy.

Another lefty, another vote of praise for the old marlins. Have a 336 from 25 yrs ago and it shoots as sweet as ever. Never had an issue with "brass-in-da-face". Not a fan of the Win 94, had one that dropped hot brass down the neck of my shirt once, convinced me to give dance lessons.

I have since collected a bunch of lefty bolts, it is fun to shoot a gun designed for your handedness. I recomend getting a lefty bolt once you find your caliber preference.

Best of luck,
Semper Sinistra

i have an older Marlin 1895 in 357mag and love it. Marlin also has a better availability for extras like big loops, sights, mounts and triggers. Some people bad-mouth the Micro-grove barrels but mine shoots cast and jacketed just fine. I don't have much experience with newer models but would recommend Marlin.

I'm a lefty, & here's my $.02. I have, & have had a number of marlin levers in just about all the popular calibers of rifle & pistol. I love them all, but I think a savage 99 in 308 is a superior rifle in most respects. With a decent compact scope & the 308 cartridge, you've got a heck of a hunting package for anything from coyotes to elk, with a bit more range than most lever guns offer. The brownings are usually priced a bit higher, & dont have as good a trigger IMO. Here's one of mine.

savage 99 020.jpg

i have an older Marlin 1895 in 357mag and love it. Marlin also has a better availability for extras like big loops, sights, mounts and triggers. Some people bad-mouth the Micro-grove barrels but mine shoots cast and jacketed just fine. I don't have much experience with newer models but would recommend Marlin.

Just for clarification, I assume that you meant an 1894 in .357, correct? I was under the impression that the 1895 was the big bores (.45-70, 450 Marlin, etc)...

With a number of expensive fat-barreled bolt guns in the modest collection here, one of (if not THE) most accurate guns I own is a Marlin Model 336RC made in 1948 (.30-30). 2.5x Lyman Alaskan with a post reticle, and it will (with careful handloads) shoot very nearly as well as a tuned heavy .22-250: better than some.

It is the gun I bring out when somebody shows up with what they consider a real shooter that they have big money invested in. They are flabergasted, and I am once again, and still impressed.

This probably has NOTHING to do with the subject of the thread, but it DOES have something to do with Marlin lever-action guns. For years, I have visited an old cowboy-buddy of mine in Sheridan (Oregon, not Wyoming), and observed a good old Marlin rifle on his dining room wall. Finally, I asked him about the gun. He said he'd killed a few deer with it years back, but it did not feed, and did not eject, and he had to hand-feed the gun single-shot style, and then dig the brass out with his pen-knife. Therefore its place on the dining room wall for 25 years.

I examined it: an 1889 rifle (not carbine). Octagon barrel. Marble's tang sight. (Whoever bought it first was a marksman, and knew what the gun could do). Caliber 38-40.

Since it appeared in fair to very good condition (hard to tell from dust and dirt), I offered to take it home for a while and hospitalize it.

To make a long story short, a month with the gun, judicious parts searches, shipping of dies from a buddy in La Grande, ordering of suitable bullets from a custom-caster (I have nobly resisted venturing into cast-bullet territiory), replacement of tang sight screws, and a helluva lot of careful cleaning, my good Cowboy buddy now has a gun that functions perfectly.

And the old girl will punch all twelve rounds out of its magazine INSIDE OF 2" at 50 yards (standing position, leaning on a post). Spring chicken at the age of 100 plus. There's a Marlin fer ye.

And I charged my buddy through the nose for all my effort: His outlay of expense in entirety required that I get to see him explode 10 water-filled Pepsi cans, along with the grey-bearded grin ear-to-ear when he was done. The gun is back on the dining-room wall. He talks of killing deer with it next year.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top