JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How can I determine without shooting it, if a Marlin 60 rifle has the automatic last shot bolt hold open feature?

"Since 1985, the Model 60 has also included a patented automatic "last-shot" bolt hold-open. This latter feature is a safety feature that locks the bolt half-way open after the last cartridge is fired, thereby allowing the safe inspection of the now-open action. This also notifies the user when the gun is empty."

Can't you just pull the bolt back and let it go while it's unloaded? Seams to me that would be the same, albeit slower, version of how it works when you are shooting it
It may be that simple. Here is a photo of it unloaded and bolt is closed.

Screenshot_20230101-192908.png

If it had the automatic bolt hold open feature how would you be able to fully close the bolt on empty mag tube?

I will check serial number and try to determine year of manf. It seems there were only a few model years that had the automatic bolt hold open and longer mag tube.

Like Vinnie said, pull the bolt back and see what happens when you let go. If I remember correctly to override that, you pull the bolt handle away from center as you pull back from the open position and it will clear the stop.

How can I determine without shooting it, if a Marlin 60 rifle has the automatic last shot bolt hold open feature?

"Since 1985, the Model 60 has also included a patented automatic "last-shot" bolt hold-open. This latter feature is a safety feature that locks the bolt half-way open after the last cartridge is fired, thereby allowing the safe inspection of the now-open action. This also notifies the user when the gun is empty."
I would guess you can download a manual for them from the maker for free. If so download it and see what it says.

My papoose had the locking bolt handle. Stainless synthetic version
My friend's was blue with wood. Cute little bugger. (the gun, not him!) I remember the first time Frank accidentally locked the bolt back. Took him forever to figure it out! (Maybe he shoulda read the manual, huh?)

I decided one day last week that l needed a "new" Model 60 to replace the one my ex-wife stole... talk about sticker-shock.

I still want one, but l've started looking at alternatives too. Unfortunately, there ain't much in the affordable, tube-mag semiauto field.

Nope... l have nothing of substance to add to this thread.

Thank You.

I decided one day last week that l needed a "new" Model 60 to replace the one my ex-wife stole... talk about sticker-shock.
Well, since Ruger hasn't started making them yet, if they are even going to, I'm sure any dealer with one is getting his "additional dealer markup".

From the pic, the nub just ahead of the trigger guard is the bolt release. only guns with the last shot bolt hold have the bolt release. If you want to know what year your gun was made subtract the first two numbers in your serial from 2000. that will give you the year of manufacture of Most Guns. Some of marlins guns made for other brand names did not always use that same numbering system. If your gun has a Sears, Coast to Coast, or Wards name they used their own number system. DR

It is posts like this that confirm that I am a) old or b) have incorrect memories or c) everything on the internet isn't necessarily correct.

I have a Marlin Model 60, purchased at Big 5 Sporting goods with no BGC at all, but my personal recollection was that this was bought in 1981-82, but mine has the bolt release. So if the quoted info above is direct from Marlin, then my memory is off by several years which is very disturbing...

I love my Model 60. It is super accurate at 50 yards (will put an entire tube of 22s into the space of a half-dollar, and at 100 yards (with a 9" drop) keep bullets inside of a 3" square Post-It note. Just a great plinking rifle.

I need to check the serial number to place the year of manufacture...

Update: My serial number starts with a "15" so my Model 60 is of 1985 vintage. Damn. My memory must be going...

Last Edited:

My model 60 is a 1984 vintage (serial number starts with 16), and it has both the automatic last shot bolt hold-open and the manual bolt hold-open.
This rifle was new when I got it in Christmas '85. Loved shooting it back then, but it's been sitting in the back of my safe untouched for decades.

I bought my first Marlin 60 at K mart For $29.95, in 1973. I mowed quite a few lawns at $3.50 each for it! Right now, my middle son is shooting it! That gun went through cases of ammo. DR

^^^^^
Can't see Ruger making a model 60. It's the best competition their 10-22 ever had.
On more than one occasion and with various guns, I have accuracy tested Marlin 60's against Ruger 10-22's (box-stock guns with no modifications).
There was (repeatedly demonstrated) no "competition" in this arena of comparison.

The Marlins were the clear, instant and verifiable winners.

I bought my first Marlin 60 at K mart For $29.95, in 1973. I mowed quite a few lawns at $3.50 each for it! Right now, my middle son is shooting it! That gun went through cases of ammo. DR
My first Mod 60 was from Western Auto about that time. I have no idea how much ammo that little rifle must have gone through. It was and impressive and amazing little rifle. When I sold it long after it sold for as much or more than I paid for it. I don't think I have ever seen one someone managed to wear out. Not sure how much it would take to actually do that.