Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Marlin Model 60 .22lr

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Mathmattx, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Mathmattx

Mathmattx Ellensburg Active Member

Well, I suppose this is as personal as what brand of razor you prefer...but after owning 4 or 5 different Ruger 10/22's and not really liking any of them, I bought a Marlin Model 60 at Bi-mart for $159 the other day. I am more than satisfied! Superb accuracy and outstanding trigger! It is a sweet shooter with a nice finish and just an all around great pointing and shooting rifle! Any Model 60 owners with any tips tricks or advice?

2. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have always loved the model 60. Prettier and better shooter than 10/22 out of the box, IMO. The Ruger's real advantage is all of the fun stuff you can do to it to turn it into just about anything you want it to be. Aftermarket upgrades for the Marlin are almost none existant comparatively. One thing I found a few years ago was a spring kit that made a huge difference for the trigger.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ri...lin-model-60-trigger-spring-kit-does-job.html
    Marlin 60 795 70 Trigger Spring Mod Kit by MCARBO - YouTube

Might take some searching to find them, if they are even still around. Kicking myself for not just buying a couple extras at the time. Anyway, glad you like your new rifle, and hope this helps.

3. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

4. Mathmattx

EXCELLENT!!! Thank you so much!

5. revjen45

revjen45 Snohomish County Well-Known Member

AKA the Mexican Assault Rifle. No, it's definitely not a put down. They are very practical people, and don't waste their money on something that doesn't serve a purpose (e.g. the '49-54 Chevy trucks. I expect to get approving looks from folks who speak Spanish when our '49 Burb again graces the highways and byways). Unless you are buying it for some artificial set of circumstances (like Appleseed rules) the Mod 60 is the choice for a .22 autoloading rifle.
    I recall an incident from the early Pleistocene in which a Hispanic gentleman was confronted by 3 thugs who shot his pregnant wife then advanced on his home. The Orc in front who was carrying a .38 got dropped in his tracks. The other 2 heard the phone ringing and left to answer it. One almost made it to the sidewalk. The Mod. 60 strikes again!! Denouement: No charges. The perps misconduct was so egregious that shooting them while fleeing was no harm, no foul.

MikeE and (deleted member) like this.
  6. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

I opted for the bottom feeder 795, same rifle, no tube. So accurate with just a cheap scope that I get bored for lack of a challenge!

7. Lightning

Lightning Pasco Member

I gave mine to my Grandson. It had the cool carved stock. Great shooter. I miss her a lot. Anyone got one for sale?

8. Mathmattx

Was it carved with oak tree leaves and maybe a squirrel? I vaugly remember the first 22 I ever shot as a boy being a marlin with some beautiful carving.

9. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Just an FYI; we see many tube fed rifles on the Appleseed line including the model 60. There is no 'rule' that prevents them.

OP, congratz on your new shooter. Marlin makes a fine rifle :thumbup:

10. Lightning

Lightning Pasco Member

Yup. Oak leaves. Stock is a grayish color. Nice gun. I liked it more than all my other .22s. That's why I passed it down. Special gun for a special boy.

11. Mathmattx

That's awesome. Nice job passing it on. When my son was 3 I bought him a golden boy. He's almost 8 and on his 10th birthday its his (s suprise).

12. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I've shot both, owned both, repaired both. I still prefer the 10/22. I've just never been a big fan of the Marlin. I don't really care for the aesthetics. Just my two cents, it's certainly a serviceable little gun.

1 person likes this.
  13. kburr64

kburr64 Milwaukie, Or. Member

I got my first mdl 60 when I was 12, I loved it & shot it every chance I got. It disappeared a few years later, I think my dad had something to do with that. Fast forward 30 years, I bought myself a 10/22 and played with that for awhile making w/e mods I wanted to. I probably had over $500 into it, which isn't hard to do on a 10/22. Then one day I was walking through WholeSale Sports and saw a mdl 60 ss in the rack for $189, long story short I bought it and a week later sold my 10/22. Out of the box that rifle is perfect IMO ! :thumbup:

14. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Never met a Marlin semi auto I didn't like...........

15. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

How long is that sale price good for? I did not notice it in the sale flyer.

16. rawen2

rawen2 Portland Area Active Member

Here's a dumb question - maybe. I have an old "Marlin Glenfield" .22 rifle that I bought new at K-mart back in the mid 70's. Is this the same rifle being discussed here? I'm not home at the moment so can't check any numbers on the rifle. Wouldn't mind putting in the spring kit that lightens the trigger.

17. Lightning

Lightning Pasco Member

Yup. That's the one.

18. Awmish

Awmish Oregon City, OR Member

Bi-Mart and many other stores have not been advertising firearm sales to prevent getting called out or offending others. As I understand it.

19. Awmish

Awmish Oregon City, OR Member

Also I have a Marlin 60 for sale shoot me an offer if anyone wants it.