JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I suppose this is as personal as what brand of razor you prefer...but after owning 4 or 5 different Ruger 10/22's and not really liking any of them, I bought a Marlin Model 60 at Bi-mart for $159 the other day. I am more than satisfied! Superb accuracy and outstanding trigger! It is a sweet shooter with a nice finish and just an all around great pointing and shooting rifle! Any Model 60 owners with any tips tricks or advice?

I have always loved the model 60. Prettier and better shooter than 10/22 out of the box, IMO. The Ruger's real advantage is all of the fun stuff you can do to it to turn it into just about anything you want it to be. Aftermarket upgrades for the Marlin are almost none existant comparatively. One thing I found a few years ago was a spring kit that made a huge difference for the trigger.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ri...lin-model-60-trigger-spring-kit-does-job.html
Marlin 60 795 70 Trigger Spring Mod Kit by MCARBO - YouTube

Might take some searching to find them, if they are even still around. Kicking myself for not just buying a couple extras at the time. Anyway, glad you like your new rifle, and hope this helps.

AKA the Mexican Assault Rifle. No, it's definitely not a put down. They are very practical people, and don't waste their money on something that doesn't serve a purpose (e.g. the '49-54 Chevy trucks. I expect to get approving looks from folks who speak Spanish when our '49 Burb again graces the highways and byways). Unless you are buying it for some artificial set of circumstances (like Appleseed rules) the Mod 60 is the choice for a .22 autoloading rifle.
I recall an incident from the early Pleistocene in which a Hispanic gentleman was confronted by 3 thugs who shot his pregnant wife then advanced on his home. The Orc in front who was carrying a .38 got dropped in his tracks. The other 2 heard the phone ringing and left to answer it. One almost made it to the sidewalk. The Mod. 60 strikes again!! Denouement: No charges. The perps misconduct was so egregious that shooting them while fleeing was no harm, no foul.

Unless you are buying it for some artificial set of circumstances (like Appleseed rules) the Mod 60 is the choice for a .22 autoloading rifle.

Just an FYI; we see many tube fed rifles on the Appleseed line including the model 60. There is no 'rule' that prevents them.

OP, congratz on your new shooter. Marlin makes a fine rifle :s0155:

Was it carved with oak tree leaves and maybe a squirrel? I vaugly remember the first 22 I ever shot as a boy being a marlin with some beautiful carving.

Yup. Oak leaves. Stock is a grayish color. Nice gun. I liked it more than all my other .22s. That's why I passed it down. Special gun for a special boy.

I've shot both, owned both, repaired both. I still prefer the 10/22. I've just never been a big fan of the Marlin. I don't really care for the aesthetics. Just my two cents, it's certainly a serviceable little gun.

I got my first mdl 60 when I was 12, I loved it & shot it every chance I got. It disappeared a few years later, I think my dad had something to do with that. Fast forward 30 years, I bought myself a 10/22 and played with that for awhile making w/e mods I wanted to. I probably had over $500 into it, which isn't hard to do on a 10/22. Then one day I was walking through WholeSale Sports and saw a mdl 60 ss in the rack for $189, long story short I bought it and a week later sold my 10/22. Out of the box that rifle is perfect IMO ! :s0155:

Here's a dumb question - maybe. I have an old "Marlin Glenfield" .22 rifle that I bought new at K-mart back in the mid 70's. Is this the same rifle being discussed here? I'm not home at the moment so can't check any numbers on the rifle. Wouldn't mind putting in the spring kit that lightens the trigger.

Here's a dumb question - maybe. I have an old "Marlin Glenfield" .22 rifle that I bought new at K-mart back in the mid 70's. Is this the same rifle being discussed here? I'm not home at the moment so can't check any numbers on the rifle. Wouldn't mind putting in the spring kit that lightens the trigger.

Yup. That's the one.