Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Marlin lever gun question

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by strongtower6114, Jan 10, 2014.

1. strongtower6114

strongtower6114 Pierce, Washington Member

I have a Marlin 1894 with ramp front sights and semi buckhorn rear sights. I love it and them.

I have a Marlin 30AW (336 on the cheap) with post front and notch rear. I love it and not them.

Marlin lists the 336 with ramp and semi buckhorns, is there any way to convert the 30AW to the same sights (ramp front and semi buckhorns)? Anyone have any experience with this or know where to get parts and gunsmithing done?

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Forget ramps, posts buckhorns etc. and go with a Williams receiver sight with a bead front. Turn a +3" group into a 1"

3. strongtower6114

I'm only going to go with a receiver mounted sight if there is no way to go with the semi buckhorns. Like I said, I really really like them on the 1894, and for what I do with the .30-30, they serve my purpose.

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You could fit a dovetail filler block that would then be drilled and tapped to receive the ramp front sight.
    Numrich has the front & rear sights you want, all you would need is to measure the dovetail and find a filler block that fits.

5. strongtower6114

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Appreciated.

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

One more unsolicited piece of advise. Dovetails are generally removed from left to right. If you are holding the firearm and looking down towards the muzzle, then you would drift it out to your right side. Reverse direction when installing. You might have to fit (file) the dovetail block, because it might be slightly over-sized.

7. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I have a 30AW and the rear is dovetailed and the front has a drilled and tapped base. Really cheap sights, but interchange with the more expensive ones. The dovetails are the same, and the front base is slightly diff but same distance between holes.

Post a pic of what you have if you can.

8. Backfire

Backfire Tualatin, OR Active Member

I put a Williams receiver sight on my Marlin 1894 in .357 Mag because I have one on my Winchester 94 and I'm very pleased with that sight arrangement. The Brockman winged front sight looked like a fine idea, but it won't fit this carbine.

9. tahoe2

tahoe2 Seattle area, Washington state Member

went with Williams rear peep on both my Marlin and Chester 94 from Midway, had to go
    with a taller front as well, went with a 1/16" gold bead (also Williams).
    target acquisition is fast and precise out to 150 yds or so. :thumbup:

10. SomeDude

SomeDude Portland, OR Reclaimer

I have a Wiliams on my 10/22 and like it (after I ordered a smaller aperture). Today I made a major score and picked up a JM-stamped 1894CS in .357 (Woohoo!!!). I won't say what I payed because I don't want the jealous hate mail ;)
    Anyhow, I've been looking at the XS Ghost Ring sights/rail combo. Anybody used this?

11. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I favor a Skinner peep mounted on the receiver of my Henry .44...quite an improvement over the buckhorn.