JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I called Marlin to ask. No 357's are yet in production. Rep's best guess is they will start making and shipping by mid to late summer. I then asked if Remington bankruptcy would be the end of Marlin; he said that depended on the details of reorganization.

Overall, poor prognosis for ever seeing these guns become widely available.

All that is just one of the reasons I will continue to visit the WAC Gunshows in Puyallup. You never know what is going to walk in the door. I've gotten ALL my Marlins there. .327H&R, .357, .44, .45 and .45-70!:):):)
Almost forgot the latest edition - .35 Remington.

Last Edited:
When the New Haven plant closed, the conglomerate that bought the Marlin interest lost (or got rid of) all the craftsmen that made the JM marked guns so well constructed. The result was horrendous quality control at the new plant, with reports of guns being shipped missing parts, chattered rifling and dismal finish work.

Recently we see a media blitz (from gun writers) claiming that this has been remedied. "With new CNC machinery delivering guns that rival or exceed that of New Haven." While the .357's may not hit the shelves in great number soon, we do have examples (in the 336 and M1895 45-70's) of current production quality.

Wood to metal fit is just above poor. What passes for checkering should just as well have been left off the gun, as it is merely a faintly pressed image of such, not even equaling the pressed checkering of the 70's, and certainly in no way functional. This is what I see. I have not operated these guns. I might assume they hold all the parts on the schematic and that rifling is nearly what it should be.

It is telling that one recent article in one of the better more trusted and balanced publications was accompanied by an "insert" article touting a custom gunsmith that could make your current production Marlin right (for about 50% over the cost of the gun itself).

Devotees of true Marlins have no evidence yet to be convinced to relinquish their well-founded conviction: "There will be no more".

Hardly a chanch of that - for now - given the current state of Remington and how its creditors are looking for quick buyers of its assets to get out from under it.
They are chapter 11.......that protects them from there creditors. (That is why you do a chapter 11) I have plenty of 357's but in a carbine (and pistol) the 44 mag is the sweet spot.

You guys killed my buzz, I've wanted a stainless lever 357 marlin, for a long time.

I know the quality went to poop, but hey, let a guy live a little. :(

Hey kids! Act now! There is hope for the buzz. You may pay dearly for a good JM gun, but right now it will still be cheaper than buying a Remlin and having it worked over...at least for a time. If ya gotta have stainless for some reason, ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances.

Well I must have lucked out. Been looking for an SBL for 6 months and finally found one locally. Picked one up at Sportsman's Warehouse a few months back. Fit and finish are perfect. Action is smooth and shoots like a dream. SBL.JPG

Slick cover gun magazines are just shills for the industry. They've never written up a gun they didn't like, have they?

Years ago, there was a newsletter-type publication that gave honest reviews of products, don't recall the title. They may still be around. Because of their specialized nature, they weren't cheap.

Over the years I've traded away a few 357 Marlin's. A couple years age I got the bug to get another, but none were around. I found a Rossi '92. Couldn't be happier.

Slick cover gun magazines are just shills for the industry. They've never written up a gun they didn't like, have they?

Years ago, there was a newsletter-type publication that gave honest reviews of products, don't recall the title. They may still be around. Because of their specialized nature, they weren't cheap.

If you mean "Gun Tests" ? Last I looked it is still put out. It had a good idea but they were never able to come up with the capitol to do it right sadly. They were trying to be like Consumer Reports but for guns. Great idea but poorly, very poorly, done. They just did not have the money to do it right.

If you mean "Gun Tests" ? Last I looked it is still put out. It had a good idea but they were never able to come up with the capitol to do it right sadly. They were trying to be like Consumer Reports but for guns. Great idea but poorly, very poorly, done. They just did not have the money to do it righ

Yes, I think that's the one. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't test guns comp'ed temporarily to the major slick gun mags? My guess is a small pub like "Gun Tests" wouldn't be likely to get many comps for testing. Therefore their costs would be high just due to that reason alone.

Well I must have lucked out. Been looking for an SBL for 6 months and finally found one locally. Picked one up at Sportsman's Warehouse a few months back. Fit and finish are perfect. Action is smooth and shoots like a dream.View attachment 452492
I had my "Remlin" stainless 30-30 out yesterday and it still has great accuracy, great wood to metal finish, cycles slick as snot and the wood is great looking. Some people will never quit whining about the initial Remington takeover of Marlin and the early problems they had.

From what I have read, they have finally gotten down the machining of the SBL's. Although Remington had good intentions when they took over Marlin, replacing all the machines with new was an obvious mistake. The two new SBL's, .357 and .44 mag will be a welcome site. Will be picking up a .357 for sure. I have heard comments about site misalignment on the front sight. Henry had this issue also with their .22's. So even the god-like Henry Co. can have quality control issues.

Yes, I think that's the one. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't test guns comp'ed temporarily to the major slick gun mags? My guess is a small pub like "Gun Tests" wouldn't be likely to get many comps for testing. Therefore their costs would be high just due to that reason alone.

The problem with Gun Tests is yes they just went out and bought a gun. Then tried it and said it works or it does not. The problem with that is it tells you nothing. There is no such thing as a mass manufactured anything that does not let out a problem now and then. Consumer Reports buys a lot of one item to test. If one breaks they tell you how well getting it fixed went. An example that got me to give up GT. They did a "house shotgun" test. Bought a Mossy 500, and Rem 870 and a Win 1300. The 500 had feed problems so they gave the line a "do not buy". How many Moss 500's are floating around out there that have always worked? The guys doing the things just did not have the money to really do it right. You are of course right on the money with the gun rags. They have a VERY hard time saying anything bad about any gun as they are dependent on advertising. I still get some when they have smoking deals on a year for one. They are just entertainment though, not something to trust. Get far better real world info on places like this.

"Some people will never quit whining about the initial Remington takeover of Marlin and the early problems they had."

...and when viewing values of JM guns, undoubtedly they also whine about the distance to the bank.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top