JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmm. I tried this link for my grandad's old Model 93 with a serial number below 10,000. It came back with "made in 1885". I'm pretty sure it's not that old. When my grandad gave me the rifle, he also included a letter from Marlin dated in January of 1988. The letter appeared to be a blanket response about how they didn't have records back that far and didn't have parts. They included several Zeroxed pages that have parts and part numbers for Marlin rifles, with a caveat that they didn't actually have the parts. Grandpa used to tell a story about there being a pegboard at the local hardware store where you could buy chances to win rifles and other things. Once the board had sold most of the chances, there were still several rifles on the board. So, Grandpa and his brother bought up the rest of the chances and took the guns home. I was under the impression that the guns were new and Grandpa was born in the 1900's, so that "made in 1885" doesn't seem likely.

Given Marlin's response to my grandad, it may be quite difficult to determine age with any degree of certainty, unless the OP's rifle is of a newer vintage.

I'm not in a position to take pictures of it. It's a Marlin 1893, very short barrel with the SN above. Stock and forearm inlets with contrasting wood (I think factory). Definitely not a new piece. Has a tang peep sight, single barrel band and steel curved butt plate. Mostly in the white .. dovetail for rear sight filled in. Cal 30-30. Top of receiver engraved with "SMOKELESS ETC". Sorry about the picture thing..

It's a Marlin 1893, very short barrel with the SN above.
I'm not a Marlin expert. But out of historical curiosity, your question prompted me to look around on the internet.

OP said 1893 and SN 440781. Model 1893 production started in 1894 and they made a lot of these. In the first two years, they were up to 100,XXX SN. The NRA museum has SN 258,278 and claim the date of manufacture is 1902. The NRA museum also has SN 381,568 and claim it was made in 1908. I found one online post that said SN 442,XXX was supposedly made in 1913. So, it seems there is a good chance OP's rifle was made circa 1913.

OP said the rifle has a steel butt plate, that's old. "Remlin" doesn't even come into consideration here, that's about 100 years off course.

The Model 1893 was later renamed the Model 93. They appear to have been in separate serial number ranges. A post on one site said there were no known Model 93's with six digit serial numbers. The rifle will be marked 1893 or 93, as appropriate.

Age alone is not a criterion for determination of price. Condition on these is everything. Beaters are worth a few hundred, pristine examples go for thousands.
Thanks knob I really appreciate the extensive research you've done on this. At this point, I may just keep my options open. It's certainly not pristine, nor is it beat to hell. No provision for a saddle ring and it also has some very interesting stock in leaves of contrasting wood Which appear to be factory. All traces of bluing have long gone but again it has not been abused the only owner mod, possibly, is a rear sling swivel hole that has been filled, quite nicely. I might add. Again, sir thank you for your time and valuable information .

Thanks knob I really appreciate the extensive research you've done on this. At this point, I may just keep my options open. It's certainly not pristine, nor is it beat to hell. No provision for a saddle ring and it also has some very interesting stock in leaves of contrasting wood Which appear to be factory. All traces of bluing have long gone but again it has not been abused the only owner mod, possibly, is a rear sling swivel hole that has been filled, quite nicely. I might add. Again, sir thank you for your time and valuable information .
Regarding the fill of the rear sling swivel, look at all like a small bulls eye?

Hey sir, I think he was responding to my claim that this rifle was mfg in the 40's, which I corrected.
Yup. Still, classic "JM" Marlins are going for decent prices. There is a tool on GunBroker that ycan be used to see the pricing on similar guns sold at auction. That would be a good indicator of the current market.

No luck there
Have you tried "gunboards.com"? There's certain to be some serious Marlin collectors there. I know there's a member there that is way up in the Cody Museum that was a great help with the crazy Winchester serial # issues. They will want pictures there too of course. So maybe state that you're looking to buy and don't pics at the beginning. Be sure to post back what you find out, please.

Serial numbers stopped in 1906 at 355600 for the early Marlin lever action rifles. A serial number in your range will be around 1914 range.
If your gun has a tang sight on it, it likely covers the model designation stamped on the top tang. Since you haven't mentioned the cartridge it's chambered for, I can't tell you anymore.
It could be a Model 1893, '94, or '97 from this era.

Have you tried "gunboards.com"? There's certain to be some serious Marlin collectors there. I know there's a member there that is way up in the Cody Museum that was a great help with the crazy Winchester serial # issues. They will want pictures there too of course. So maybe state that you're looking to buy and don't pics at the beginning. Be sure to post back what you find out, please.
Thanks, I'm on my way there now!
Serial numbers stopped in 1906 at 355600 for the early Marlin lever action rifles. A serial number in your range will be around 1914 range.
If your gun has a tang sight on it, it likely covers the model designation stamped on the top tang. Since you haven't mentioned the cartridge it's chambered for, I can't tell you anymore.
It could be a Model 1893, '94, or '97 from this era.
30-30

No sir, no luck. Perhaps one of the Marlin collectors could contact me for specific info on it?
thanks,
John

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews