JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If this is a 15" barrel, you may have a problem. When Bill Brophy was alive he worked with BATF to get all the under 16" barreled Marlin rifles added to the ATF's curio and relic list, so they would be grandfathered in as legal under 16" guns. If this gun didn't come with a letter stating it is on the ATF's list already, it would have to be added to become legal.
Now here's the rub. If ATF looks at your gun and determines it may have been shortened, and was not originally a 15" barrel from the factory, they're going to remove that barrel and hand you back the leftover parts. Or maybe just destroy the whole gun, and you're out completely.
Bill's request for exemption was based on 1,416 rifles under 16" in the factory records. But they made more than this as like yours, many were made after records ceased in 1906. So you would have to contact ATF and ask for an exemption also, and they will decide after examination if yours appears unaltered. In my opinion your muzzle, and front sight location look original, and I'd not hesitate to apply for the exemption. But if you don't own this gun yet, it may be better to have the seller apply. If it passes examination the value will increase greatly over any other longer barreled Marlin 1893 carbines, as the letter from ATF will make it highly desirable.
Is it possible the OP is measuring the barrel from the wrong place?

I'd like to know what the asking price is on this gun too?

Is it possible the OP is measuring the barrel from the wrong place?

I'd like to know what the asking price is on this gun too?
It's possible. I told him to put a cleaning rod down the bore and mark it at the muzzle, which is the most accurate method. A lot of gun guys measure from muzzle to front edge of the receiver, which usually ends up way short. If that's the case here he may have a 16" barrel and be just fine.
Every legal short carbine 1893 I've seen was over $3500, and I haven't seen one for sale in over a decade. The number Bill Brophy stated for short barrels was all Marlin lever actions before 1906. So that includes the 1893, 1894, 1895, 1889, 1888, and 1881 models. Don't think I've ever seen a 15" barreled .22 model in the 1891, 1892, or 1897 variations.

Good information here.

You might get additional info on the MarlinOwners Forum. They do know their Marlin lever guns. good luck
Maybe, but I kinda doubt it. I look in there occasionally, but vast majority of users there are into newer Marlins post WWII, and much later.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top