JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a used Marlin C3030 from another forum
This is my first lever action rifle and I know very little about them.

There's not a whole lot about the C3030 online. All I can find out is that it's similar to a Model 336.

I already did some clean up and removed the surface rust using WD40 and '00' steel wool.
Bore cleaned up pretty well too with a wire brush.

My concern is that with the amount of rust on the rest of the rifle, the cylinder magazine could be pretty bad too. How do I get to that to clean it?
Anyone have any advice in general for lever actions as far as maintenance, things to check, etc. ?
Also any recommendations for .30-30 ammo? I'm assuming it has to be a rounded bullet for use in a lever action with cylinder magazine, right?

I restore older rifles similar to yours frequently. The first thing I do is make sure the bore is completely clean - depending upon the condition maybe a deep clean. I also do a preliminary head space check without removing the extractor or ejector. I do a proper check later on when I reassemble. Once I pass this phase then I break it down into individual components and then give it the full spa treatment in an Ultrasonic tank. I remove any heavy rust prior to putting it in the tank first. Also before going into the tank I determine if I need to replace parts or if they can be restored. This is the "assessment" phase - I ask myself is this rifle worth my time and coin to restore...if so then at what level of restoration do I take it too? (full treatment includes a re-blue job and/or total stock refinish).

If you're uncomfortable doing this..then maybe you could talk a buddy into helping you disassemble, clean, and restore et cetera. If you do not have access to a tank then you'll have to just clean it the old fashion way with lots of elbow grease...or invest the $$ in having it done professionally that is if you intent on keeping it.

The wide angle shots do not show the extent of the rust...however I can get a glimmer of light to medium surface rust on the close up shot even though it is slightly blurry. If my eyes are not failing me....I'd say you definitely need to strip that rifle down and see what is the situation inside. If you chose to keep it then it will need a complete re-blue to restore it to like new and to stop the rust from continuing which unfortunately it will.

If you just want it as an "ol' beater" then at least disassemble it, inspect it, clean it and do the best you can to curtail the surface rust. I'd check the headspace tho...I always do on used guns.

All I can tell you about your rifle is it is a variation of the Model 30/30A which was made till 1983 and then the 30AS or 336A/336AS was released. You can certainly call Marlin tomorrow and get more intel. Here is a link to the closest thing to an owners manual - <broken link removed>

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the feedback. I'd already found and downloaded that manual and used it for removing the lever, bolt and extractor and initial cleaning.
Is the headspace check done with a simple Go/NoGo gauge for .30-30 caliber?

Is it worth investing in or should I just find a local gunsmith?
Oh and on another note, Dan, my wife got me a "course of my choice" for Christmas! (plus another safe, some long gun bags, a receiver hitch clay trap and a Bi mart gift card!)

I'll be checking the schedule and getting signed up here real soon.

ORBRIT - sweet! Can't wait to meet you personally and train together. You might want to call this week and get signed up as many of the classes are full clear out six months. I'm going to be around this week in the office (off/on) if you call in.

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting this rifle restored. Headspace, correctd get or borrow a no go gauge is all you need. It doesn't cost you anything other than time to take it to a 'smith and get an quick estimate.

Worth? Well that is up to you...It all depends what you want or need it for.

They are good little rifles. I have a little 2x shotgun scope on mine. Makes it just about the perfect "brush gun" for me (although, my Son has really taken a liking to it).
I need to replace the carrier in mine. Not a hard job. I just need to get off my butt and buy one when Midway has one in stock.