JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Both of these Marlins are in excellent condition and they are near the last of my Marlin Collection from many years of collecting. The 989 appears to be unfired and the stock as new. 99 is as good as I have seen in many a year. As I recall the 989 is pre serial number. I am winding down my inventory (due to loosing interest...age?..probably
I have in the past posted Marlin 22's that I considered collectable and received comments that old does not mean collectable. I believe in the old saying "all in the eyes of the beholder"
Your comments on these two items would be appreciated...……...before I decide to post them.

Thanks for your read and comments...….Dallas Ken

Never heard of them. But here's a LOT I've never heard of. :D And I presume you'd seen gun Broker listings in the $275.00-$300.00 range?

Cool .22s!

After looking at completed sales on Gun Broker it looks like the ones there are not even selling at $300.00. I would think there are people out there that would pay that much. Finding them will be the trick.

Those Marlin rifles make for excellent shooting rifles.

In regards to value or pricing...
Gun values and pricing vary from place to place...what is desirable and a good price for where I live may not be the same somewhere else.
Also Gun guys are a fickle lot and again what is a hot seller in one place and time...may not always be the case.

For your rifles , even if in excellent shape , where I live ....$200- $225 would be a good price...the actual selling price would be in the $150- $200 range.
Andy

Thanks for your info guys. I do believe guns in this condition are easily in $300 area...99M1 1964, 989 1962 vintage. As I stated excellent to unfired.

Again many thanks for your replies.

Clip fed? Like a Garande???

No, though Marlin marketed them with that word.

s-l1600.jpg

Regarding value, as I am sure you are aware, values vary on:

- where you are located
- age of rifle ( some are even now becoming C&R eligible)
- condition
- extras included

I purchased a Marlin 989 M2 in San Diego about a year ago for about $265. It was in good condition with nice wood and had a nice leather period correct Garand style sling and cheap 4X scope. It was C&R.

It is a nice shooter and the only negative is it takes a little more time to get the wooden handguard off and on when cleaning.

Who knows, for the right price, if they are in good condition and are C&R, I would even make the drive from NorCal to remove these deadly weapons from your state.;)

So I guess the plain answer is not a clip like a Garand then...

Too bad, I was having fun envisioning stuffing those tiny shells into little strippers.

Forgot to mention the factory sights are in place on both rifles, several years ago I purchased one without the sight. I might add I found one on line for $50 (firm) A lot of the rifles had to sights removed and scopes attached.
Really appreciate the input on these....I will post them soon.

To clarify the one IS clip fed as is the M1 Military Carbine.
ARFrog, do not understand the term C&R ??

Take a look at your barrel marking. It can get confusing but I believe there are 3 types of Marlin 989:

1) model 989 has no top handguard wood

2) model 989 M1 which has a top wooden handguard and is tubular

3) model 989 M2 which has a top wooden handguard and is clip/mag fed

#2 and #3 "look" kind of like an M1 carbine

C&R is Curios and Relics. Is is for someone with a FFL03 license. Rifle has to be at least 50 year old.

Last Edited:
To clarify the one IS clip fed as is the M1 Military Carbine.
ARFrog, do not understand the term C&R ??

C&R refers to the Curio & Relic list, guns that can be purchased directly by holders of a Type 3 Federal Firearm License.

The "clip fed" comments are just ribbing about your calling a detachable box magazine a "clip". It was acceptable terminology in the gun world in decades past, but is a major taboo nowadays. (I still call them a clip sometimes, though, when nobody's looking) :)

Edit: I wasn't quite fast enough! I KNEW someone would be along any second with the obligatory illustrations of the differences!

Will I be expelled from the club if I continue to use the wrong terminology? What if it's on purpose just to irritate the mag-purists? :)

I just looked up C@R July 11 2019 was the post I found. After 50 years they become exempt. These are 1962 and 1964.. EXEMPT. Thanks for the info. Never to old to learn.
For your other question both have wooden handguards

Will I be expelled from the club if I continue to use the wrong terminology? What if it's on purpose just to irritate the mag-purists? :)

50 lashes with a wet noodle. As long as you don't call it a "30 caliber magazine clip".

That warrants the death penalty.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top