Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Marlin 795 action screw torque?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Beefcake, May 28, 2015.

1. Beefcake

Beefcake Portland Active Member

I just changed the stock back to the factory stock, but I can't for the life of me find a torque spec for the action screws on this rifle. Its the later model with synthetic stock and plastic trigger guard. I tried 3 different Google searches and read about 15 pages of replies (including the owner's manual pdf), and I still can't find a torque spec. Can anyone help?

2. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

You mean the two screws that hold the trigger guard on and the whole rifle to the stock?
    I don't know but I take it light on those as it looks like they could strip out very easily!

The only flaw in an otherwise perfect rifle IMO. Although I've had it apart many times without a problem.

3. Beefcake

Yes, those screws. Every other rifle I own has manufacturer specs for tightening those since they can affect accuracy and feeding in most rifles. I might see if I still have a metal trigger guard from a Model 60 that might fit so I don't have to be scared of cracking the trigger guard.

I have found recommendations of 18 inch-pounds, as a starting point, and then increasing in 1 inch pound increments to maximize accuracy; I just don't want to mess with it that much. I can't believe there isn't an OEM specification.

4. OLDNEWBIE

I gently evenly snug them up, one is longer if I remember. When the trigger is seated and the screws are snug (meaning they stop turning when just finger twisting the driver) I then give a slight 1/4 turn each.
    I've been tempted but never have tightened more than that 1/4 turn. Accuracy is always superb and the screws haven't come loose. Your results may vary and as you know youtube is full of broken trigger guards on 795s!

mjbskwim likes this.
  5. Beefcake

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

6. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

VERY LIGHT, you'll crack the trigger guard.

7. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've never seen a spec for those screws, I just try to be careful not to crack the trigger guard. My older model 60's have the metal guard, so that's no problem, and I just snug them down nice and tight. I would keep an eye on Ebay - every so often, a metal trigger guard for the 60/795/7000 will be available. Once you replace it, you won't really have to worry about it anymore.

8. OLDNEWBIE

This got me searching trigger guards on 795s. Something else that apparently happens over time is the holes wear out or get bored out by the screws over time.

Mine is overdue for a cleaning, I've never had a problem in 20 or so assemblies.

Dammit, I hope this thread hasn't jinxed me Beefcake!o_O

Oh well, if I mess it up those metal trigger guards look sweet:D

9. Beefcake

I need to see if I kept the trigger assembly out of the model 60 stock that I cut down and modified for the kids to use this rifle. I moved in a rush during my divorce, but I think I saw the trigger assembly in one of my tool boxes. If it's the same, I'll probably just use it.

10. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

At one point, www.rimfiretechnologies.com was offering nice anodized aluminum trigger guards for both the 60 and the 795/7000. I'm not sure if they still offer them as I don't see them on their website. It might be worth sending them an email to ask: sales@rimfiretechnologies.com EDIT: I just called these folks - they are not currently producing the aluminum trigger guards for the Marlins, but, he said they do plan on bringing them back at some point in the future.

But note that the Model 60 and Model 795/7000 do have different trigger guard assemblies due to the magwell cutout for the 795/7000 models - I don't think there is any way to interchange them (maybe there is, I'm just not aware of it).

EDIT: Just spotted this model, looks like it's still available, and it includes a nice trigger too:
    https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156302

ThumbnailHandler.ashx?MediaID=20116&size=220.jpg

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156299&CAT=3603

ThumbnailHandler.ashx?MediaID=19531&size=220.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  11. Beefcake

Thanks, I'm glad you posted that before I spent a bunch of time looking for the old one. I think you're right; I forgot about the extension on the front with the mag cutout.

12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Snug,nothing more just snug.
    I mean I am the one who breaks stuff and I know this.
    The only gun I have ever use a torque wrench on was a AR barrel nut.And it takes between 30-60lbs.
    So why bother.
    Just tighten it with your HANDS,no arm in the movement,just hands
    Kinda like inch pounds,just use your fingers not your whole hand.
    Not really rocket surgery

jbett98 likes this.
  13. Beefcake

I would usually agree with the old adage "tight is tight" (okay I don't know if it is an old adage, but a good mechanic I used to work with used to say that and scoff when I'd mention torqueing something to specs). However, I've had a different experience with several rifles. For instance, my model 70 hunting rifle changes POI with different torque on the action screws. In fact, all 3 screws take a different torque to get it right. I use an inch pound torque screwdriver to get it the same every time I remove the stock. I have had other rifles that would have magazine issues if the stock wasn't torqued right. I will try the suggestion of bottom plus 1/4 turn; if it works, at least I will have a repeatable way to do it so I don't have to worry about re-sighting it any time I remove the stock.

mjbskwim likes this.
  14. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Spot torque the screws. (Apply torque until you see spots in front of your eyes.)

Tee hee hee ……...:)