JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 39M in very good shape, however the "buttpad" does not line up perfectly with the stock, and I don't care much for the thick "Mar-shield" finish, and I was even thinking of thinning down the fore end a little.

On the other hand, it is easier to do nothing than to do something. :) Also, I'm wondering if this gun is getting up toward collector status these days - I know collectors don't like "improvements".

It's one of my favorite rifles, and quite accurate. I'll never sell it. What say you? Fix or leave it alone?

If you are not planing on selling it ... Then I'd re-finish it to your taste.
You say its one of your favorites , why not have it look and handle like you want it to?

That said they are had to find and some 39M variants are up there in price ... Maybe make sure you don't have a super collector piece , before working on it.
Andy

I would check if it is worth money and could possibly be an heirloom for you kids some day. If you never plan on selling it and its not that model then yes do what you want to it. Its fun doing those little things and making it the way you want.

IMG_1727.JPG
That is my old Savage 30-06 that was beat to well crud. I am glad that I kept it and did the work. well worth the expense and will never sell it now ;)

As others said, it's your gun.

However, it's a Marlin 39, not an old Marlin 22 bolt action. The 39s are getting pretty darn valuable and if you modify that, you'll "pay" when if you ever decide to sell it. Or, possibly like me, years later you'll look back and wonder why you messed it all up.

I have two guns that I refinished as a kid. One was a 19teens Saddle Ring Carbine Winchester in 30 WCF. It was pretty beat up and I figgered I couldn't hurt it.... Wish I'd not done that at all. I recently got the gun back into my hands for the first time in years and was absolutely ashamed of what I'd done.

The other is a late 40's vintage Marlin 81DL (tube fed 22 bolt) All I did was remove the stain from the stock which was deteriorating and used Verathane to refinish it. Only wish I'd used oil instead of the verathane, but it still looks as good as when I did it in the late 70s. This gun has more sentimental value than $$ value anyway, but I sure didn't hurt that value either.

Here is a picture. I always have trouble posting images to this site for some reason.
20170304_204738.jpg

I drifted out the rear barrel sight and added a Lyman peep. WAY better for my eyes.

Collector sites say around $400 or $450 for this year (made in '82). Not enough to get excited over.

I already took off the oogly white line spacer but still have it. One has to wonder some times about the styling fads in the past!

Sorry to hear the finish is hard to get off.

I hear ya about regretting past mods. I have an old Sako Forester that needed help when I bought it. Mostly what I did is OK, but not all of it (I removed the crossbolt recoil lug, or whatever you call it, and glassed in the holes in the stock when I glass bedded the gun :oops:).

Last Edited:
It's one of my favorite rifles, and quite accurate. I'll never sell it.

That statement says it all to me!! It's one of your favorites if you enjoy shooting it and it functions with out flaw then why do anything? My 30-06 I would have never taken to the range before I did the work to it. Now proud how it looks and even more important how it functions. ;)

I'm a big fan of the 39 just the way they are but it's not my rifle it's yours. I do like a nice oil finish on wood instead of the varathane? whatever that most rifles come with.
If your not gunna ever sell do what you feels best.

I understand about the "I'll never sell it" part...but I'm usually going to stick with an original finish. However, I have to admit I like the sound of your improvements. Removing that little white spacer is a no-brainer. And an oil finish on walnut is hard to beat! Looking forward to pictures when you get 'er done.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top