JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a Marlin .357 or .44 lever gun. Anybody know where one is in town and what they are going for? Also, any advice on one over the other. It's mainly for a camp gun and possibly to play a little bit of an HD roll. Also, who makes the best scout mounts for them? I've considered putting an Aimpoint or something on.

These guns seem to be more rare than hen's teeth. I am still kicking myself over not buying one that was for sale here for $400 six months ago. I even had the cash available, but I wanted to buy a compound bow. Should have bought that rifle and the bow later.......

These guns seem to be more rare than hen's teeth. I am still kicking myself over not buying one that was for sale here for $400 six months ago. I even had the cash available, but I wanted to buy a compound bow. Should have bought that rifle and the bow later.......

Its fall, dude. Try again in the spring/early summer, there will be plenty of them around again.

I am still kicking myself over not buying one that was for sale here for $400 six months
Me too. I came real close. Anyway to answer your question I think the .357 is a little more versatile than the .44 but then I have a Winchester Trapper in .357. The .357 packs plenty of wallop in a rifle and is cheaper to reload for - especially if you want to plink with .38 Special. Now if you already had dies, brass etc. for a .44 then that might be the way to go. Also you will see a few more .44s for sale than the .357s. I know of one .357 Marlin for sale and I am thinking about it myself.

I was trying to decide awhile back also. I have revolvers in both calibers. I went with the Marlin 357 as it will work for my needs and is cheaper to shoot. Also less recoil.
I am very happy with my decision. The 357 is a really fun lever gun to shoot. I do want to change out to peep sights though.

Ronin's on to it, but with an added twist: These guns are drying up like spit on a summer sidewalk. The New Haven factory shut down, Marlin is now owned by the same conglomerate that owns Remington. (Cerebus?). Die hard Marlin guys are calling the new ones "Remlins", and almost unanimously agree the quality is not that of a New Haven gun. If you want a good one, get it now, and pay whatever the asking price.

Example (as of YESTERDAY!): Genleman was at the Portland show, walking around with his Marlin 94 in .44 Magnum. This gun was the best I've seen, and I should have bought it. (I have one, but not nearly this nice.) Had striking burl wood in the butt, it was the Pre-Crossbolt Safety version (the stupid litigation-insipired button that has a nasty tendency to be "ON" when the biggest buck of your life stands and looks at you and you pull the trigger to find nothing happens when the hammer falls).

Gun was near-new condition, bought new by the gentleman, and he said he'd put about two boxes of shells thru it. Mikes swivels installed right. Asking $525. I am kicking myself for walking away after examining it, withholding my drool. Ten minutes later, I saw the luckiest guy at the show headed for the door with it. A polite inquiry revealed he got it for $500. I missed my chance to upgrade, since I KNOW my one showing some wear could have been moved FAST for $400.

They are more desirable than the Winchesters, due to a much better accomodation for scope installation, and have a reputation for shooting better as well. I also have a .357, and both my guns are extremely accurate.

Sight options: my .357 has a Leupold 1x-4x on Warne Quick-detach rings. The .44 sports a Williams FP receiver peep, Firesight on the front. A better rear might have been a Skinner, since it mounts on the top of the receiver in the scope mount holes (but for significantly more money). I also have a Leupold Gilmore red-dot with the Warne rings attached, pre-sighted for the .357 gun. Mix and match instantly according to application/hunting conditions (and, of course the buckhorns are still there on both guns: the buckhorn itself folds forward when not in use).

Get 'em now. Prices are skyrocketing for the good ones. $525 would have been a steal for the pretty one at the show. Going rate is probably closer to $600 or more for a gun like that.

I picked my '94 44 in 1999, for $350. I love it. Accurate and fun to shoot. Not sure I would ever sell it.

Because I have the 44 mag, did not really want a .357. I think I got lucky. Until recently did not realize they fetched $450 or more.

I think i got one of the last new rifles coming from old Marlin factory last year, a 1894CB357, blue hex 20" barrel. Took me a while to research and make the purchase. Got it from Ozark Guns. If you are really serious, I'd give them a call, and brace yourself, 'cause if they have any left, they will be pricey.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top