JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
To the original poster, I hope to clarify what a couple of these folks are asking you about.

The picture below is of the left side of the rifle. Just above the back part of the wooden forend, on the barrel right in front of where it attaches to the receiver, look for a "JM" stamp in an oval. Mine has some kind of mark there, but not a clear JM stamp. If present, this means the rifle was made before Marlin was taken over by the Remington group.
0522181148a.jpg

Now, look above the trigger, also on the left side of the rifle. If there is a safety between the trigger and hammer, it has a cross bolt safety. Looking at your pics, I'm 99% certain it doesn't have a safety. However, some have them removed, and I can't say for sure if that has happened from the posted pictures. The safety got added in the early 80s, so if it has no safety, it will be JM stamped.
0522181148.jpg

The reason people ask these details is that the quality was more consistent on older rifles, and older ones have no safety and have the JM stamp. If this rifle is one of these, it will bring a higher price than the other models. This doesn't mean the rifle is junk if it has a safety and no stamp, but a knowledgable potential buyer is going to want to go over it with a fine toothed comb before he or she buys it, where a lot of folks would be comfortable committing to it with fewer reservations if it is stamped and pre-safety. Hope it helps.

Also, there are charts available online that will enable you to age the rifle from the serial number.

Last Edited:
Just for more added info. They also came with cross bolt safeties and jm stamps. Just so people understand that just the lack of a cross bolt style safety isn't the only rifles with jm stamps. I have several of them in various calibers with both style of safeties, and they still have the jm stamp also before Remington bought Marlin out and took over their line of rifles.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.