JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought one as I was looking for one for a while here and there. (Not particularly that particular model, but a lever 45-70.)

I just am wondering where to start ammo wise. It has been a while since I have shot much of the big rifles larger than .308 except for a bit of .50 beowulf and some 12 gauge slugs. I am kind of wondering where to start ammo wise as I plan to load my own in the future, and I don't need to shoot a rampaging hippopotamus in the foreseeable future.

What are some good ammo places to start with it. I am probably going to use it at the range and hopefully take it hunting for deer in the not too distant future.

Good stuff can be had by.

Double Tap

Buffalo Boar

Lehigh Defense

Ventura Munitions

If your looking for inexpensive, I'd say Remington CoreLok.

I kind of want to figure it out a bit. 45-70 has a whole world of loads. I also know I want a variety, but the variety is a bit daunting. I know it looks easy to reload. And fairly large margins of available load data.

For factory, start out with HSM "Cowboy" loads or equivalents.

45-70 is best for handloading...get some Oregon Trail 405gr cast, Montana, Beartooth, etc., etc. No need for gas checks unless you are going over 1500fps. For best results, don't mix lead and copper projectiles. To shoot copper...buy another Marlin.

Use Starline. Hornady's are shorter.

Unique powder...cheap and 13-14-15 max grains will get you started. Also with light loads is not position sensitive. Rl-7 or equivalents in the 1100-1300 fps is all you'll need for most applications. Go a little heavier for bear hunting or bear defense. No need for the 1920fps factory hype.

Be sure to keep OAL by the book. For lighter loads you can go a little shorter, just never go longer as you'll jam your action or potentially go into detonation issues. Get the RCBS Cowboy dies for cast reloading. Get the Lee Factory crimp.

GOD inspired Man to create the 45-70.

Last Edited:
Just a quick FYI... The Hornady Leverevolution ammunition uses brass that is 0.060" shorter than normal, due to the flex tip bullet. I'd avoid stocking up on that for brass, unless you also plan to use the flex tip bullet for reloading.

For regular brass, Starline is always a good option.

Just a quick FYI... The Hornady Leverevolution ammunition uses brass that is 0.060" shorter than normal, due to the flex tip bullet. I'd avoid stocking up on that for brass, unless you also plan to use the flex tip bullet for reloading.

For regular brass, Starline is always a good option.

Thanks for the tip on that. I've not started reloading yet but was saving my Hornady brass. Will be sure to only use their bullets for it in the future.