JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally shot my 1894 microgroove 44 magnum and decided to do a pretty detailed cleaning.
Stripping it down was pretty easy thanks to youtube but took a lot of time.
Reassembly was a pita!, but things would get faster now that I know how.

What does everyone else do? I don't see myself ever taking off the fore guard/ mag tube again. Mainly did it this time to inspect for rust which there was none.

Removing the lever to take out the bolt and extractor was pretty fast and easy and gives you a lot of access but the rest of it??

My main concern would be wear and tear on all the Receiver threads after a while. I was very careful but I already boogered up a stubborn screw head or two. Here's a pic to a similar but newer model.

upload_2015-9-12_10-20-43.png

I think anything of this kind of age is always worth trying to detail strip at least once, if only so you know where it's at so far as condition/cleanliness etc.

If you have any guides/videos etc that you think would be a good guide etc. let me know and i will link it all in the sticky.

I've had my 1895 guide completely apart. Put the Wild West one piece trigger in , get rid of the floppy Marlin thing. I loaned it out and found some rust when I got it back. I had to sand and repaint the mag tube it was so bad.
Usually when I clean it I use a generous amount of gun scrubber don't take it apart. I wax it with Renaissance Wax .
I have a BLR and I wouldn't think about taking it that far apart . Too complex for me and they don't recommend it. I use lots of gun scrubber on it.

I think anything of this kind of age is always worth trying to detail strip at least once, if only so you know where it's at so far as condition/cleanliness etc.

If you have any guides/videos etc that you think would be a good guide etc. let me know and i will link it all in the sticky.
The only vid I found for the Marlin 1894 44 mag. Real bad lighting so had to guess at a few things but he gives some good pointers and I would have been lost without it!
The other vid I used for the screenshot was a different caliber and much newer model but nothing crazy different about the process as far as I can tell.

I've had my 1895 guide completely apart. Put the Wild West one piece trigger in , get rid of the floppy Marlin thing. I loaned it out and found some rust when I got it back. I had to sand and repaint the mag tube it was so bad.
Usually when I clean it I use a generous amount of gun scrubber don't take it apart. I wax it with Renaissance Wax .
I have a BLR and I wouldn't think about taking it that far apart . Too complex for me and they don't recommend it. I use lots of gun scrubber on it.
Finally got some Ballistol and since I heard it was good for wood I used a liberal amount of the stuff to clean and later lube it. That stuff stinks so bad it makes me want to puke though. After it sits awhile its fine but spraying it, yeach!!!!

Lol. I'd leave it alone. I took apart a beautiful BLR once for no reason whatsoever.. down to the nubbins (we're talking big hammer and punches here).. got it back together in miraculous and unblemished perfection and just kinda scratched my head. What a waste of time and effort.

Lol. I'd leave it alone. I took apart a beautiful BLR once for no reason whatsoever.. down to the nubbins (we're talking big hammer and punches here).. got it back together in miraculous and unblemished perfection and just kinda scratched my head. What a waste of time and effort.
Yeah I caught hell from the Mrs. when after taking a couple of hours to go and test this thing out on a spur of the moment whim, I then got home and decided to take it apart.

Told her I'd be an hour tops. I'm guessing it was finally 3, some of which was watching youtube vid directions, detailed cleaning and locating the right sized screwdrivers etc.

Needless to say she didn't share my joy when I was finally able to cycle the action of my Marlin all in one piece like before once again!
Anyway, next time I'll just remove the lever and then the bolt and extractor clean where I can as well as the barrel then lube re assemble and call it quits. That should take 25 minutes.

Haha, detail stripping is only for two things;

1) Really old weapon that might need a deep clean/part inspections.
2) Because it's fascinating to do, just time consuming :(

My M1 Garand is currently in *all* component pieces with the exception of the trigger assembly, and that's only because i did manage to put that part back together again. It's been, um, maybe 3 months in pieces... :oops::D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top