JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll agree with you on Remlins. I did buy a 1894 cowboy limited edition in 45LC. I think the fact that it was a limited edition made the quality better. Everything on it is top notch. I consider it the winning magazinebucks ticket.

I would like to believe you are correct, however I recall handling a brand new one of these within the last year or so at a Sportsman's Warehouse. Upon looking it over, the finish on wood and metal was definitely much nicer than the current production standard Marlin 1894, but one of the screws on the forearm mounting band had a broken off head. I pointed this out to the sales guy, thanked him for letting me handle it, and we both shook our heads before he called over another sales guy to discuss the situation.

While I understand there will likely be issues with a certain % of any mass produced item, I was disappointed there wasn't a final QC inspection that caught this fairly obvious flaw.

That said, as an owner of both 5 JM stamped Marlin levers, and 2 (one currently) newer production 1894s, I have noted a difference. To be fair, most of the older ones I have handled and own have been fired and cycled a decent amount, so the action was worked in. The newer ones are stiffer and not as smooth. And the 1894 CST needed a little work to load the magazine tube (detailed in another thread here last fall), but I have been happy with it since.

I had an 1894 45 colt that I purchased new 2-3 years ago that was a good rifle, with no issues. While not as nice as the older JM stamped rifles I have owned and handled, I was pleased with it for the cost. I only sold it as I intend to replace it with a 45 Colt cowboy model at some point when the right one comes along.

Mine has probably 400 rounds through it and it seems good so far. It's the only Marlin I've seen worth owning lately, and the only one with a safety in my collection. Might be blasphemy to some, but I've never really been a Marlin fan.

Some people cuss 'em and some love 'em but my Henry has largely in part been problem free and very accurate. I did experience the common load tube problem that has plagued many owners (tube hanging up on rounds and not seating smoothly) but I discovered a simple fix for it and no more problems.
In all fairness however there are many people who are having problems with their Henry's an have had to send them back - and sometimes more that once.
Personally I think their biggest problem has been spreading themselves way too thin and coming out with far too many models and variations on them.
Their quality seemed to be much better when they only produced their basic models.

I keep looking at this guy.

Don't need it but always wanted it.

Ruger 77/357 357 Magnum Rotary Magazine Rifle

I have a couple of those, one factory and one shortened, threaded, with an attached shroud, and rechambered for 38 Special for suppressor use that I bought from a member here within the last couple years. Have a 77/44 also. The Ruger bolts and Marlin levers in handgun calibers are lots of fun!

I've had several. They shoot ok. They aren't smooth like a Winchester or Browning. Fit and finish is poor, but they shoot. Honestly, I think you'd be better off with a new Marlin, but if you just want a cheap beater to jump on the bandwagon with, putting asuppressor on, they fit the bill.

Not the same but similar, I have a new (end of last year) Marlin 1894CSBL. It's the polished one without the threaded barrel and with the grey laminate stock. At some point, I'm considering a 9mm/38/357 suppressor so I might get it threaded. Regardless, I haven't had any issues with mine and the fit and finish has been pretty good. The only place where it wasn't really finished was underneath the handguard where it's pretty rough and there are even a couple of barrel scratches. However, you don't see that when it's all together. I've already put a few mods on mine that I think help. I took off the rail, switched the plastic follower out for a stainless one (with a stainless spring), changed the super stiff factory loading gate for a Ranger Point one, changed to a Ranger Point extractor (much better design than the factory one), added a lever wrap and a Montana sling. Probably put about 500 rounds of 38spl and 357 through it with no problems to report. It's one of my favorite guns, although they all kinda are.

1894CSBL_Pineneedles_2_2018-10-11.jpg

1894CSBL_Ford_1_2018-10-11.jpg

I hope you like your CST as much as I like my CSBL. Stainless lever guns are hot!

This one came in today. Alas, I haven't gotten out with it yet, and considering the mad level of "catching up" I am now doing, it might be a few days. Anyway, I took this pic of said with the Ti-Rant 9 attached:

marlinsilenced-jpg.jpg

I just got back from the home range and, per request, have a report:

• I shot up approximately 100 rounds of 130-grain, factory, FMJ .38 Special. It was a mix of Remington UMC and Winchester white box.
  • Most of the shooting was with a Ti-Rant 9 silencer installed. Though I did a little with the can removed.
  • No malfunctions of any kind were encountered.
  • I found the rifle very accurate. I was mainly doing off-hand shooting of metallic silhouettes (chicken, javelina, ram, and turkey) and a spinner at various ranges.
  • There was essentially no recoil.
  • The loads I was shooting were not subsonic. It was pretty quiet, except for the sonic crack though. I will need do some research on what .38 Special loads would be out of a 16½" barrel.
  • I haven't tried full-house .357 Magnum rounds yet, but will on another outing.
  • Last night, my sidekick wrapped the lever in paracord, which was nice.*
All and all, I really like this one so far.

HotLoop.jpg
Thank you @TeacherSmurf. :)

I've been working up loads both in 38 and 357 for subs.

Got my hands on some 200 grain 35 cal (358 diameter) bullets I'm going to try with a moderate charge of Lil Gun in 38 cases first, as I've found actual data using 38 cases. Maybe a couple in 357 to try too.

180 grain XTPs are great for sub 357 loads. As are plain ol 158 swc.

My usually load for 38 plinking are all sub so they worked great.

We were up in the city this weekend for wacky adventures and on the way back we stopped at Crapbelas and picked up various ammo. I acquired some 158-grain fodder thinking it might work with the can.

Doh! Should have noticed these are lead round nose.

ammo2.jpg

bullet.jpg

And this is, evidently, no es bueno through the can, per AAC's manual:

DO NOT use ammunition with exposed lead projectiles or reloads. Evidence of use of any reloaded ammunition or ammunition with exposed lead projectiles will void the warranty, and any repairs made necessary from the use of such ammunition will be invoiced to the owner.
Oh well, I'll just burn this stuff up in the wheelguns.

Anyone making a 158-grain load that is fully jacketed?

We were up in the city this weekend for wacky adventures and on the way back we stopped at Crapbelas and picked up various ammo. I acquired some 158-grain fodder thinking it might work with the can.

Doh! Should have noticed these are lead round nose.

View attachment 559964

View attachment 559965

And this is, evidently, no es bueno through the can, per AAC's manual:

Oh well, I'll just burn this stuff up in the wheelguns.

Anyone making a 158-grain load that is fully jacketed?
I've put this exact round through mine, Rugged Obsidian, very quiet.

As for FMJ 158 look for Geco brand. I have a box from them. It's FMJ and quiet.

Thanks! Geco makes great ammo. My vz61 really likes their 7.65㎜SR. After posting and according to the Intratubes, MagTech makes FMJ 158-grain too. But, candidly, since it is available, I'll just buy some Geco tomorrow. :)

Thanks! Geco makes great ammo. My vz61 really likes their 7.65㎜SR. After posting and according to the Intratubes, MagTech makes FMJ 158-grain too. But, candidly, since it is available, I'll just buy some Geco tomorrow. :)
Cool beans, your thread makes me regret not buying this rifle when they first hit the internet.

They, like anything Marlin, have all but disappeared since the initial release online.

Cool beans, your thread makes me regret not buying this rifle when they first hit the internet.

They, like anything Marlin, have all but disappeared since the initial release online.

I found this NIB one on Gunbroker. A search on said shows about three new ones on there, though they are a tad higher than I paid for this one, but not wildly so. Hope that helps. :)

I found this NIB one on Gunbroker. A search on said shows about three new ones on there, though they are a tad higher than I paid for this one, but not wildly so. Hope that helps. :)
Partly, lol. I settled for a single shot. If that cures the itch, only time will tell.

If one pops up from the various "notify me when in stocks" I might divulge.

Shooting subsonic 38/357 is tons of fun. Especially the heavy bubblegum sub 357 handloads. Psstt........thump.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top