JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This headline caught my eye so I read it:

"Prince William: shooting skills shown off in Sydney"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...liam-shooting-skills-shown-off-in-Sydney.html

So from 100 meters, he did 4 groups of 5. Averaging a 104mm spread. (works out to a tick more than 4 inch grouping @ 109 yards).

"...a rating described as “excellent” by one senior officer..."

Now, I'm a newbie shooter, but know a few folks that can do as well and better.

From a military perspective, would you describe that work as "excellent"?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...liam-shooting-skills-shown-off-in-Sydney.html

So from 100 meters, he did 4 groups of 5. Averaging a 104mm spread. (works out to a tick more than 4 inch grouping @ 109 yards).

4" @109 yards SUCKS. I would be ashamed of myself for a group like that.

Aw, give em a break, he is firing a short barreled, belt fed, light machine gun..:gun06:

To qualify in the US military all you have to do is hit the target, I think you guys are being a bit rough on the guy. I don't think the goal was to pull out a rifle and be 100% accurate. He was using a belt fed machine gun that's anything but accurate and it was his first day with the weapon.

The grouping isn't anything to write home about but I'm willing to bet he could do better with some more training and time with that weapon.

"Just over an hour earlier, Prince William had been able to exchange experiences of sleeping on the streets when he visited a hostel for the homeless in Sydney."

Based on that statement I'm thinking he was only at the range for 1 hr? I don't know, hard to tell based on the column.

You can see from the pic he was firing on full auto - probably trying to get 3-5 round bursts.
I don't think his grouping was too bad considering!

You may think he's just an entitled prince, but he has been through the full 1 year commissioning course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, in addition to whatever further military training he may have received prior (UOTC) and since his CC.

I just re-read it and it appears he was shooting the AUG. Not very impressive at all.

The article makes him sound like a complete novice, whereas he would already have had to qualify with the L85 rifle and L86 LSW at 400 and 600 yards respectively whilst at RMAS.

Prince William, who was wearing civilian clothes and using protective ear plugs, lay on the ground to fire real bullets at a target 100 metres away at the Holsworthy Army Barracks.

He scored a rating of 104 which represented the average spread in millimetres between all the bullets from his four five-round groups. Each of the rounds was fired into a circular, white target as the sound of gunfire echoed all around the firing range, Lt Col Trent Scott, the Commanding Officer of the Paras from the 3rd Battalion The Royal Australian Regiment , was told the score by the Prince.

“That’s good, that’s excellent,” he replied, clearly hugely impressed.

Prince William, who was on the fourth day of his first foreign tour representing the Queen, fired an F-88 Austeyr personal rifle, used by the regiment’s soldiers who served in Afghanistan in 2008. He also fired a F-89 Minimi machine-gun. There was no score for this exercise but he hit his target with all the 100 rounds fired from the “belt”.

The Prince posed for a group photograph with the uniformed soldiers, who then presented him with a brown “slouch hat” to protect him from the scorching sun. He fleetingly put it on and was asked if it fitted. “Not quite, no. But it’s the thought that counts!” he replied.

I read it as he was scored using the AUG...also fired the Minimi

The part that makes me chuckle is that they say "to fire real bullets at a target 100 metres away".

What else is he going to fire at a target 100 m away? Nerd darts?
The English public is so far detached from guns that they don't realize their beloved prince has done live firing exercises at night, with live grenades, stabbing dummy targets with his bayonet while mortar bombs and artillery shells whistle overhead. Probably several times over during his time at Sandhurst.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top