JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone,

I've been primarily a handgun guy but with my kids getting to be that age where they can start to shoot, I finally bought the above rifle from Cabelas on a smokin' deal to hopefully shoot with them together. I expect to be shooting this rifle with my kids from a bench from both 25 yards and 50 yards. It'll be just for target shooting and not for hunting or anything else. But I know so little about rifles and I had some basic questions that I'm hoping that you veterans can answer.

1. I was thinking of attaching a bipod rather than using sandbags or any other devices for the sake of convinience. What do you all think about that? Do you recommend some other device or is a bipod acceptable for a beginner?

2. I didn't realize how expensive bipods are, ranging from $40-100 easily. I saw the following on Amazon which is cheap and has great reviews. What do you all think about this?

3. This rifle came with a 3-9X40mm Bushnell scope already mounted on it. I'm guessing this is sufficient for 25-50 yard shooting?

4. The trigger is not an Accu-Trigger but is rather heavy. Is there a way to lighten the trigger or am I stuck with this? I'm thinking that my kids will think that this is just too heavy and would not enjoy it.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your answers.

I prefer bags to bipods.

Cheaper bipods are not as steady.

3x9x40 should be good to 100 yards plus depending on the scope quality.

Your owners manual should cover if the trigger is adjustable or not and how to change it if it is.

Have a great time!!! Teaching kids is some of the best fun;)

I prefer a rest for rimfire shooting at the range from a bench, but a bipod can work.

3-9 scope at those distances should work also; a scope with an adjustable objective to focus clearly at the ranges you are shooting is a nice feature if your scope has it.

I don't have a Savage rimfire anymore, but did own one years ago (pre accutrigger). I did a little careful polishing of the mating surfaces and a lighter spring IIRC which helped out. Easy job for a gunsmith I'm sure if you didn't want to do it yourself.

Have fun shooting with your kids; I'm hoping to introduce my older daughter (6YO) to the range soon.