JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Based on some thoughts and suggestions from another post, I've decided I need a .22 pistol, and have quickly narrowed the field down to one of these two. I've owned several of the earlier guns, but it's been a lot of years, the last one was a MK I or II Target with the 10" barrel and steel frame. I'm mostly looking for a gun for cheaper fundamentals practice related to my centerfire pistols, in that regard, it seems the 22/45 would be the better choice. But I'm not crazy about the polymer frame, and the aftermarket support doesn't seem as good. The latter is important, I'm not into bling for the sake of bling, but I won't hesitate to make changes that improve function or trigger pull. The 22/45 is also a bit cheaper, won't decide based solely on price, but it is a factor. Whatever I get, it won't be used for hunting or long range target shooting, just occasional fun plinking and tactical type range drills in place of one of my heavier shooters. Appreciate your thoughts.

Dave

I've got a mark III and a mark IV tactical love them both if I didn't shoot speed steel I could get by with just the tactical. both have trigger jobs and reddot sights.

Go to a shop and hold both. Close your eyes and hold the pistol in firing position. Open your eyes and the sights of one will be in better natural alignment. That's one criterion.

Go to a shop and hold both. Close your eyes and hold the pistol in firing position. Open your eyes and the sights of one will be in better natural alignment. That's one criterion.

That's an excellent criterion, and is at least a good place to start. Now I just need to get to the "LGS", which is at least an 80 mile round trip, over a mountain pass :rolleyes:. Don't have any other reason to go at the moment, so I guess it'll just have to wait. No biggie, not really in a rush anyway. Later, and thanks.

Dave

If you shoot a Glock most of the time, buy the standard MK4. If you shoot almost anything else, get the 22/45. The biggest difference is the angle of the grip. To many people this will help with training. (Says the guy with the Standard Ruger and shoots 1911s!)

What are your regular guns?

Would spending the money you think your going to on the 22 be better spent on ammo for those?

I get buying 22s. I have many, but I'm hesitant to call any of them true trainers for my centerfire pistols.

Seems to me there's a bit more concern with the Ruger Mark pistols when comparing the grip angle of the 22/45 with the steel frame pistols than one needs to worry about. I own both styles of the 22/45, and a bunch of the steel grip frame pistols.
More emphasis should be involved with "sight alignment" rather than the slight difference involved with the grip frame angle. As for myself, I shoot all of my Ruger Mark pistols in the same manner, regardless of any perceived difference in any grip angle.

22/45 tactical /thread

This....

22/45 are more comfortable. They shoot better than I can and I have the Tactical and Lite versions in 22/45 with one being MKIV and one MKII

MKIV 22/45 Lite
MKIII 22/45 Tactical

Seems to me there's a bit more concern with the Ruger Mark pistols when comparing the grip angle of the 22/45 with the steel frame pistols than one needs to worry about. I own both styles of the 22/45, and a bunch of the steel grip frame pistols.
More emphasis should be involved with "sight alignment" rather than the slight difference involved with the grip frame angle. As for myself, I shoot all of my Ruger Mark pistols in the same manner, regardless of any perceived difference in any grip angle.

Cool story bro

I like the look of Mark target model, but I never liked grip angle. Just wasn't for me, so I ended up with 22/45 target.

so go to local gun stores and try them in person, if you haven't.

Don't shoot a Block, nor do I want to :rolleyes:. Current collection is 2 CZ's and a Sig. Appreciate the continued insights, will be checking them out the next time I get to Omak or Wenatchee, but am leaning toward the 22/45 again, the standard model rather than the Tactical, I think that thing just looks silly, no offense meant to any of you that like them. Later.

Dave

I have been shooting them all my life and love them. To me the different grip angle has never been anything to me but many it does make a difference. If one "feels" better to you go for it. As for the Polymer I doubt you could wear one out in a lifetime. I have long loved .22's because any shooting is good practice. I go weekly to the range and always take at least one .22 just to run a few hundred rounds through. It's cheap fun that helps me keep sharper with all my guns.

I don't own any CZ's, but it I did, I'd pick up a factory .22 conversion kit for it....

It has been really great how so many guns now have these options. I remember when these first started to hit many never thought they would sell. Now look how many different guns have someone offering a top end to let the shooter use cheap, fun, .22 ammo in their favorite pistol. The public certainly showed they wanted these:)

I don't own any CZ's, but it I did, I'd pick up a factory .22 conversion kit for it....

Thank you for this, I really hadn't thought about it, mostly because both my CZ's are a bit off the beaten path. But it turns out the CZ 75 kit DOES work with the compact 9's. A bit spendy compared to buying a dedicated .22 pistol, but the PCR is my current EDC, so that could make the juice well worth the squeeze. Have a post started on the CZ forum to see what folks think of the Kadet kit with the PCR, more later.

Dave

Turns out there's also a conversion kit available for my Sig P220, and it's cheaper than the CZ, or about the same cost as a 22/45. Looking into that one as well, will post more when I have more info. Later.

Dave

See if you can find a complete 220R-22-BAS

the frames of the 22 pistols are full power frames not cheap pot metal like the conversion kits. they make them in 226/229 also

it used to be youd buy a 22 classic than buy a full frame caliber exchange kit.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top