JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
will be moving soon and was looking at marion county's sheriff page on issueing Conceal Carry Permit and thought this was a bit odd. I have a utah permit and will be getting a Oregon permit in a year, for the reason of a misdemeanor, but I thought oregon was a must issue state, this looks like marion county added some of there own rules. One could say nothing out of the wrong but others could say, well, what is a history of conflict with police. you were arrested once and charged a misdemeanor, or not pertaing me, but lol, the line saying, history of conflict with others? Well what does that mean, and last "have any documented history of including alcohol. so anyone that has a dui, or even two, many years ago could still be viewed in their eyes as this. Is this ok in Oregon. I thought there was State laws set on what the requirements are, and these are not outlined in it, nor do other counties have these rules. just wondering what anyone else thinks. The last line even says, Most of these are outlined in section ??????.>>>>>>

You must NOT:

Have any outstanding warrants for your arrest.
Be on any form of pretrial release.
Have been convicted of or found guilty of a felony, except for insanity as provided by ORS 161.295.
Have been convicted of or found guilty of a misdemeanor, except for insanity as provided by ORS 161.295, within the previous four years.
Have been committed to the mental health division under ORS 426.130.
Have been found mentally ill under ORS 426.130 and prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness.
Have a history that shows confrontation with others, including family or neighbors.
Have a history of conflict with police officers.
Have any offenses involving firearms.
Have been dishonorably discharged from the military.
Have any documented problems involving alcohol.
Have any documented problems involving drugs.
Have ever renounced your U.S. citizenship.
Most of these provisions are outlined in ORS 166.291

Believe they are drawing the ability to do this from ORS 166.293 (2) "Notwithstanding ORS 166.291(1), and subject to review in subsection (5) of this section, a sheriff may deny a concealed handgun license if the sheriff has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant's mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant's past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence."

Most of the extra items on there seem to be covered by this.

The one that caught my eye was "any offenses involving firearms" because it isn't in 166.291 and it's a stretch to consider a single offense a pattern.

Go read 166.291 this is what the law requires to be on the application form..

Get hold of Kevin Starrett's book,understanding Oregon's
gun Laws.

Go here and see what yamhill cty. does

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
As for the "any offenses involving firearms"... Are there any that the offense itself wouldn't disqualify you by the merit of the offense itself? To me, that just sounds redundant. I don't know of any "civil offenses" (aka: below misdemeanor) that involve firearms.

To me, the worrying one is "Have any documented problems involving alcohol." That means someone who goes to AA meetings, even if they've been clean for decades, would count, as that is "a documented problem involving alcohol."

As for the "any offenses involving firearms"... Are there any that the offense itself wouldn't disqualify you by the merit of the offense itself? To me, that just sounds redundant. I don't know of any "civil offenses" (aka: below misdemeanor) that involve firearms.

To me, the worrying one is "Have any documented problems involving alcohol." That means someone who goes to AA meetings, even if they've been clean for decades, would count, as that is "a documented problem involving alcohol."

I don't think there is any offense involving firearms that is less than a misdemeanor. I just thought it meant that if you had a misdemeanor firearm conviction decades ago they would use that as the basis to deny an application. There was no mention of time.

Is attendance at AA meetings documented?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top