JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kind of a scary story, makes me think twice about ever calling for an ambulance . . .

Make sure you watch the video in link:

Marin sheriff defends use of Taser on man in his own home | abc7news.com

Marin sheriff defends use of Taser on 64-year-old

SAN RAFAEL, CA (KGO) -- The Marin County Sheriff's office says it does not take lightly decisions to use force and that its deputies through "an extensive amount of on-going training." The Sheriff released the statement following an ABC7 exclusive report which showed a 64-year-old man being repeatedly Tased by a deputy last summer in his home.

The incident occurred on June 29, 2009 shortly after midnight when Marin County resident Peter McFarland and his wife Pearl returned home from a charity fundraising event. McFarland slipped on steps leading to his home and suffered injuries to his leg, arm and head. His wife then called paramedics from a nearby fire station who helped him in and treated his wounds.

McFarland says as the paramedics were leaving, two Sheriff's deputies "bolted into his home."

Related Content

More: RAW VIDEO: Police Tase 64-year-old man

link: Marin County Sheriff's Office Response to Lawsuit (PDF)

Story: Man sues Marin sheriff after being Tased at home
"The sheriffs ran up the stairs into the room here like a bunch of cowboys," he said.

ABC7 obtained the audio and video captured by a camera mounted on the Taser. It shows McFarland sitting on a couch with the gun's laser beam targeted on his chest. The deputy repeatedly tells him that he is going to take him to a hospital to be evaluated because of a comment McFarland made previously that he would "shoot himself in the head."

It is unclear who heard the comment but McFarland told ABC7 in an exclusive interview that it was just "hyperbole" and that he was tired and in pain from his injuries.

The interchange continues for about five minutes with the deputy ordering McFarland to get up from the couch. Finally, McFarland yells at the deputies to get out of his home and then stands up. At that point, a deputy fires his Taser -- not once, but three times as McFarland cries out in obvious pain on the ground while the other deputy tries to handcuff him. All the while, the deputy tells McFarland to stop resisting.

"It was excruciating, I never had so much pain in my life," McFarland said.

Deputies finally restrained him and took him to jail on a charge of resisting arrest. A judge later dismissed that charge.

Dr. Byron Lee is a cardiologist at UCSF. He has done extensive research on the lethal effects of Tasers.

"The Taser has some real risks that if you can get Tasered in the right places, you can cause sudden death and cardiac arrest," Lee said

The Sheriff's office responded to ABC7's inquiries with a written statement saying in part, "The decision to resort to the use of force is never taken lightly and deputy sheriffs (sic) undergo an extensive amount of on-going training to ensure those decisions are both appropriate and fall within the guidelines established by law and department policy."

The statement also states that watching the Taser being deployed is difficult, saying, "That reaction can all too often also be influenced by using only small, selected segments of a much lengthier video that better depicts the complexity of the event in question."

McFarland's lawyer John Scott told ABC7 he received the video upon discovery when he filed a motion with the judge to dismiss the "resisting arrest" charge. He says the video was released to him with the understanding that it was the complete un-edited version of the event.

WTF! That deputy needs to spend a few years behind bars :( What a gross violation of Civil Rights!

Cops can't do anything to help me until a crime has been committed but they can taser an old man, known to have a heart condition, because of a comment he made? "Californian Thought Police".

I bet the cop would have shot his dog too if it had attacked him in defense of its owner.

Pretty bubblegumed up. I think that cop needs to be culled PDQ and maybe the Sheriff too for defending him.

WTF! That deputy needs to spend a few years behind bars :( What a gross violation of Civil Rights!

Cops can't do anything to help me until a crime has been committed but they can taser an old man, known to have a heart condition, because of a comment he made? "Californian Thought Police".

Not just californian police

some thing similar happened in Medford Or.(without the taser)

You have to understand, people over 60+ are very scary and dangerous.:s0131:

I imagine the two big police officers could have overpowed the old guy and hauled him off to the hospital without all that electrical storm, without much trouble.

Interesting that they are not allowed to get involved physically with folks anymore, unless attacked.

I am a supporter of our police and think they have a tough job, but would like to see them wrestle a few of these, kids, old folks and women to the ground rather than use what could be deadly force.

Yeah here in Eugene the local LEOs just received tazers about a year ago, so far they managed to taze a hippy with a sign (that one was actually pretty funny) and an 18yo. little Chinese girl at the U of O. I'm certain the little Chinese girl was a threat, all asian people know Kung Fu right?

Interesting video. Looks to me like those legs with the reflective tape around the ankles are the paramedics or firefighters who are still on scene. I think there's more to the story than either side is telling just yet.

Remember boys, just because you've got a Tazer doesn't mean you should use it. There are these things called "words" that we use to convince people to go to the ER all the time when they don't want to. Even the cranky ones.

Yeah here in Eugene the local LEOs just received tazers about a year ago, so far they managed to taze a hippy with a sign (that one was actually pretty funny) and an 18yo. little Chinese girl at the U of O. I'm certain the little Chinese girl was a threat, all asian people know Kung Fu right?

My friend was tazed last week
The story that I heard was that the police had received calls that he was speeding on his motorcycle. A police tahoe cut him off on beltline and he wrecked. I guess the officer didnt think he was getting up fast enough and tazed him while he was still on the ground.

He got a good lawyer and they intend to sue. You should hear about it soon.

So let's see here..............A gentleman falls and hurts himself.
As he is suffering from the pain he makes an off-hand remark that "if" he had a gun he would shoot himself, presumably because of the pain and embarrassment of the fall. Not a real threat just an exaggerated statement in the pain of the moment. Similar as to when a teenager states that they are "sooooo embarrassed" they "just want too die!". Because of that they ( the police) deem it necessary to hall him off for a "5150" hold. (Those not familiar with that code: It is the code number for the California Health, Welfare and Institutions code for an involuntary psychiatric hold - up to 72 hours.)

Let this be a lesson to us all.....be careful what you say because Big Brother is listening. And they are only there to help. It's for our own good. :s0131:

BTW Did any of you watch the whole 30min video? You can hear the man's wife telling the police that he has a heart condition but they still shoot him with the Taser in the chest.

Why does it seem encounters with police are becoming more violent when the situation does not warrant it? Has it always been this way or or is it due to the speed and clairity of modern technology allowing us to see almost instantly what has always been taking place or do we only witness only the most extreme situations?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top