Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Marin sheriff defends use of Taser on 64-year-old

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by PBinWA, Sep 1, 2010.

1. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Kind of a scary story, makes me think twice about ever calling for an ambulance . . .

Make sure you watch the video in link:

Marin sheriff defends use of Taser on man in his own home | abc7news.com

2. toobigtofail

toobigtofail PDX Member

oh boy, I smell big lawsuit money on this one...

3. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

WTF! That deputy needs to spend a few years behind bars :( What a gross violation of Civil Rights!

Cops can't do anything to help me until a crime has been committed but they can taser an old man, known to have a heart condition, because of a comment he made? "Californian Thought Police".

4. PBinWA

I bet the cop would have shot his dog too if it had attacked him in defense of its owner.

Pretty bubblegumed up. I think that cop needs to be culled PDQ and maybe the Sheriff too for defending him.

5. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Not just californian police

some thing similar happened in Medford Or.(without the taser)

6. PBinWA

I saw this graphic on SnipersHide the other day and think it fits here

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

"We're from the Marin sheriffs department and we're here to help"

8. toobigtofail

toobigtofail PDX Member

I think this is a case of CYA gone wild... a little common sense injected into this situation would have gone a long way.

9. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Wow. Hope those two pigs lose their jobs and end up with a little prison time.

10. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Exactly

How many times did kids use the phrase "I'm going to kill you" on the playground? Do we tase them too?

11. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

The taser was fired at the exact moment the cop should have moved to helped the old guy stand up. Anybody could have made the same mistake. ;)

12. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

How come nothing like this ever happens to me. I could use a nice payout from the state.

13. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

You have to understand, people over 60+ are very scary and dangerous.:paranoid:

I imagine the two big police officers could have overpowed the old guy and hauled him off to the hospital without all that electrical storm, without much trouble.

Interesting that they are not allowed to get involved physically with folks anymore, unless attacked.

I am a supporter of our police and think they have a tough job, but would like to see them wrestle a few of these, kids, old folks and women to the ground rather than use what could be deadly force.

14. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

I think that the punk cop is the one that should be taken to the hospital for a mental evaluation. :confused:

15. Pogue_Mahone

Pogue_Mahone Eugene, OR Active Member

Yeah here in Eugene the local LEOs just received tazers about a year ago, so far they managed to taze a hippy with a sign (that one was actually pretty funny) and an 18yo. little Chinese girl at the U of O. I'm certain the little Chinese girl was a threat, all asian people know Kung Fu right?

16. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

Interesting video. Looks to me like those legs with the reflective tape around the ankles are the paramedics or firefighters who are still on scene. I think there's more to the story than either side is telling just yet.

Remember boys, just because you've got a Tazer doesn't mean you should use it. There are these things called "words" that we use to convince people to go to the ER all the time when they don't want to. Even the cranky ones.

17. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

My friend was tazed last week
    The story that I heard was that the police had received calls that he was speeding on his motorcycle. A police tahoe cut him off on beltline and he wrecked. I guess the officer didnt think he was getting up fast enough and tazed him while he was still on the ground.

He got a good lawyer and they intend to sue. You should hear about it soon.

18. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

So let's see here..............A gentleman falls and hurts himself.
    As he is suffering from the pain he makes an off-hand remark that "if" he had a gun he would shoot himself, presumably because of the pain and embarrassment of the fall. Not a real threat just an exaggerated statement in the pain of the moment. Similar as to when a teenager states that they are "sooooo embarrassed" they "just want too die!". Because of that they ( the police) deem it necessary to hall him off for a "5150" hold. (Those not familiar with that code: It is the code number for the California Health, Welfare and Institutions code for an involuntary psychiatric hold - up to 72 hours.)

Let this be a lesson to us all.....be careful what you say because Big Brother is listening. And they are only there to help. It's for our own good. :paranoid:

BTW Did any of you watch the whole 30min video? You can hear the man's wife telling the police that he has a heart condition but they still shoot him with the Taser in the chest.

19. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Scares the **** out of me, I have a heart condition. This is the new thing, Tazer the person. Feel sorry for the police with all the restrictive things placed in the handbook.

20. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Why does it seem encounters with police are becoming more violent when the situation does not warrant it? Has it always been this way or or is it due to the speed and clairity of modern technology allowing us to see almost instantly what has always been taking place or do we only witness only the most extreme situations?