JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've seen the Rossi (if I remember right) "Mares Leg" lever action pistols. Is there a way to build one of these out of a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 without it being an NFA weapon? I really like them, but don't want a Rossi, and I don't want to pay for a tax stamp or deal with all the other stuff that comes with an SBR (resale, carrying paperwork, WA).

As far as the BATF is concerned, if a firearm starts out as a rifle it will always be a rifle, so if you try to convert a lever action rifle to a Mares Leg you wind up with an SBR NFA item.

The only way you can get a Mares Leg that isn't an SBR/NFA item, is to buy one manufactured as a handgun to start with. There are a number of different manufacturers, Rossi, Chiappa and Henry. There are probably also a few smaller custom makers also.

Heretic pretty much covered it. You would have to purchase a Winchester or Marlin receiver
that had NEVER been built into a rifle or papered as a rifle--and do a build as a pistol.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top