"Mares Leg"

Reactions
So I've seen the Rossi (if I remember right) "Mares Leg" lever action pistols. Is there a way to build one of these out of a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 without it being an NFA weapon? I really like them, but don't want a Rossi, and I don't want to pay for a tax stamp or deal with all the other stuff that comes with an SBR (resale, carrying paperwork, WA).

The Heretic

Reactions
As far as the BATF is concerned, if a firearm starts out as a rifle it will always be a rifle, so if you try to convert a lever action rifle to a Mares Leg you wind up with an SBR NFA item.

The only way you can get a Mares Leg that isn't an SBR/NFA item, is to buy one manufactured as a handgun to start with. There are a number of different manufacturers, Rossi, Chiappa and Henry. There are probably also a few smaller custom makers also.

BillM

Reactions
Heretic pretty much covered it. You would have to purchase a Winchester or Marlin receiver
that had NEVER been built into a rifle or papered as a rifle--and do a build as a pistol.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
Top Bottom