JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've seen the Rossi (if I remember right) "Mares Leg" lever action pistols. Is there a way to build one of these out of a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 without it being an NFA weapon? I really like them, but don't want a Rossi, and I don't want to pay for a tax stamp or deal with all the other stuff that comes with an SBR (resale, carrying paperwork, WA).

As far as the BATF is concerned, if a firearm starts out as a rifle it will always be a rifle, so if you try to convert a lever action rifle to a Mares Leg you wind up with an SBR NFA item.

The only way you can get a Mares Leg that isn't an SBR/NFA item, is to buy one manufactured as a handgun to start with. There are a number of different manufacturers, Rossi, Chiappa and Henry. There are probably also a few smaller custom makers also.

Heretic pretty much covered it. You would have to purchase a Winchester or Marlin receiver
that had NEVER been built into a rifle or papered as a rifle--and do a build as a pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top