Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

"Mares Leg"

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Jun 26, 2014.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

So I've seen the Rossi (if I remember right) "Mares Leg" lever action pistols. Is there a way to build one of these out of a Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 without it being an NFA weapon? I really like them, but don't want a Rossi, and I don't want to pay for a tax stamp or deal with all the other stuff that comes with an SBR (resale, carrying paperwork, WA).

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

well there ya go! who said anything about "like"?

3. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

As far as the BATF is concerned, if a firearm starts out as a rifle it will always be a rifle, so if you try to convert a lever action rifle to a Mares Leg you wind up with an SBR NFA item.

The only way you can get a Mares Leg that isn't an SBR/NFA item, is to buy one manufactured as a handgun to start with. There are a number of different manufacturers, Rossi, Chiappa and Henry. There are probably also a few smaller custom makers also.

stmcelroy likes this.
  4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Beaverton, OR Active Member

Whaler likes this.
  5. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Heretic pretty much covered it. You would have to purchase a Winchester or Marlin receiver
    that had NEVER been built into a rifle or papered as a rifle--and do a build as a pistol.

Nwcid likes this.
  6. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Which
    is pretty much impossible unless you knew the CEO of Marlin or Winchester