JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a nice pre-Remington Marlin 1895CB with 26" barrel I might let go for a reasonable price. Looks new. I tried it a few times and decided I didn't care for the recoil with that little hard buttplate. And you have to appreciate rainbow trajectories. Also I'm really too old for iron sights any more and I wouldn't scope such a gun.

It's a beautiful gun, now a safe queen. I like it even better than the Win 1886, and I certainly prefer it to any Henry. Strangely for being so long, it is still very handy.

Since you are nearby in Portland you can take a look. This sale would allow me to get out of .45-70 (I have too many calibers). I also have some bullets and dies, etc. I bought it new, years ago.

the long eye relief scopes puzzle me

The essence of a levergun is handiness, and the forward scope preserves that, even if it clashes somewhat in style. Makes tons of sense on a Guide Gun.

Last Edited:
I've got a nice pre-Remington Marlin 1895CB with 26" barrel I might let go for a reasonable price. Looks new. I tried it a few times and decided I didn't care for the recoil with that little hard buttplate. And you have to appreciate rainbow trajectories. Also I'm really too old for iron sights any more and I wouldn't scope such a gun.

It's a beautiful gun, now a safe queen. I like it even better than the Win 1886, and I certainly prefer it to any Henry. Strangely for being so long, it is still very handy.

Since you are nearby in Portland you can take a look. This sale would allow me to get out of .45-70 (I have too many calibers). I also have some bullets and dies, etc. I bought it new, years ago.

The essence of a levergun is handiness, and the forward scope preserves that, even if it clashes somewhat in style. Makes tons of sense on a Guide Gun.

Thanks! I may be interested if it is pre-Freedom group. There are not a lot of good reports on when Remington bought them and started requiring a rifle made every 135 seconds regardless of quality.
Send me a PM with what you want for the package.

Im leaning toward the Henry except I dont like that you have to put your hand in front of the muzzle to load it.
o_O Why? If you don't pull the trigger what's the big deal?
Or make sure you don't have one chambered when reloading.
Any way,:) if I was going to buy brand new it would definitely be a Henry,not a Remlin.
For Washington,it makes more sense cause you need to unload the gun to have it in the vehicle. The Henry is the easiest to unload.(plus I hate those loading gates).
I have a JM stamped Marlin that I found here for cheap. It is as acurate as I can,sometimes, shoot.
Great quality,fit and finish.
I've seen the new ones come in both good looking and almost send back. Hit and miss now,might as well buy a Rossi .

except I dont like that you have to put your hand in front of the muzzle to load it.
That was a bit of a learning curve for me when I got my Henry .357 but with a little practice you will find a technique that works for you. Even with the tube load system the advantages of the Henry far outweigh the Winchester Trapper I sold. Although I eventually got the Trapper to cycle smoothly (after many years of work) it still was not as reliable as the Henry out of the box.

I would avoid the Chiappa

At first I was really interested in them because they have the configurations I want (short octagon barrel, takedown, hard chrome, etc.), but after digging, I found that their quality more or less was poor, so I would rather go with a BLR or a Henry and work from there.

Im leaning toward the Henry except I dont like that you have to put your hand in front of the muzzle to load it.

? this has me bewildered, since with a 1860 Henry you push the follower and spring forward then rotate it to the side your are well behind the muzzle. The issue I have with the Henry's is two fold; if a shooter shoots rapid fire and does not get his hand out of the way of the follower or lets it spring back with a partially filled tube it can spring back and detonate centerfire cartridges in the magazine tube (have seen it happen), also the toggle link action is not the strongest thing on the planet.

The detonation of cartridges in the tube was not an issue with the original design as they wee rim fire and training can help with the second but it is not fool proof.

Unless of course we are talking about the modern Henry rifle which only affiliation with the original is they purchased the name. Seen them, shot them and did not like 'em. Even though I am not the worlds largest fan of lever action rifles I own 3 and they are all Winchesters or Winchester clones.

? this has me bewildered, since with a 1860 Henry you push the follower and spring forward then rotate it to the side your are well behind the muzzle. The issue I have with the Henry's is two fold; if a shooter shoots rapid fire and does not get his hand out of the way of the follower or lets it spring back with a partially filled tube it can spring back and detonate centerfire cartridges in the magazine tube (have seen it happen), also the toggle link action is not the strongest thing on the planet.

The detonation of cartridges in the tube was not an issue with the original design as they wee rim fire and training can help with the second but it is not fool proof.

Unless of course we are talking about the modern Henry rifle which only affiliation with the original is they purchased the name. Seen them, shot them and did not like 'em. Even though I am not the worlds largest fan of lever action rifles I own 3 and they are all Winchesters or Winchester clones.
That all true for the old style Henrys but not their modern lever guns. And you still don't have to put your hand in front of the muzzle to load. There is a window down the tube a bit. But with the hammer down and your finger off the trigger,it's not an issue.
Saying otherwise is like Gabby saying the gun shot her not the guy holding it;)

Marlin 45-70 Cowboy, JM vintage with octagon barrel will consistent ring the 10" gong up to 200yds with iron sights. The single shot High Wall would also be a sexy choice. Loading up original black powder loads is all kinds of smoky fun too, just expect to have to hold a foot higher.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top