JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
who tends to have good quality new lever action rifles? I know it would be nice to get a mint condition original Winchester but probably not going to happen. My wife already has a Browning BLR but I'm interested is a more classic 1886 style

Henry (like the H010) tends to have better reviews that the Marlins. I dont see many positive reviews on brand new Winchesters. I was looking at Taylor and Co but it its almost like they use the same manufacturer as Chiappa since they have the same part number? I could not figure them out. Uberti has some lever actions but nothing in 45-70.

The Old Marlins sure feel right in the hands, and do shoot nice! I have a 100 year anniversary half octagonal half round barrel with full length mag tube, and she sure shoots really nice! The workmanship is top shelf, the action buttery smooth, and things drop with a satisfying thunk I guess it depends on what you like, and what you want do with it. I usually carry the Stainless laminate full size as a back up rifle, and it is a really nice go to when things go sideways on a hunt as they often do! Any thing Pre Remington would be a good choice, Post stuff seems to be "Cheep" and that really sucks! Winchesters are sort of the same thing:( A good one will set you back some coin, but might be worth it any way!

who tends to have good quality new lever action rifles? I know it would be nice to get a mint condition original Winchester but probably not going to happen. My wife already has a Browning BLR but I'm interested is a more classic 1886 style

Henry (like the H010) tends to have better reviews that the Marlins. I dont see many positive reviews on brand new Winchesters. I was looking at Taylor and Co but it its almost like they use the same manufacturer as Chiappa since they have the same part number? I could not figure them out. Uberti has some lever actions but nothing in 45-70.

I just got a Henry in .357 recently. Octagonal, 20" barrel. The thing weighs a ton. But the build quality is really spectacular. From the bronze receiver, to the wood, to the bluing of the barrel, it all looks fantastic. Add to that the action is very smooth, right out of the box.

I had been looking at a similar gun from Rossi as I have a friend that has a stainless Rossi in .357 that is actually a pretty nice gun too. Not quite the build quality of the Henry, but several hundred less in cost. I didn't find the action to be as 'gritty' as some people describe, but maybe that varies between guns. I've thought of getting a Rossi in .44 mag one of these days.

I've got a co-worker with a Marlin in .45-70, not sure how old it is. I shot it last year and it seemed to be a newer gun. He uses it for hunting and spoke highly of the gun. Though I've heard mixed reports of the newer Marlins online.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Henry. They're almost as much a show piece as they are a shooting rifle. If you ever want to take a closer look, let me know and I'd be happy to let you check it out.

Beautiful rifles, but the long eye relief scopes puzzle me. They look awkward and it's a side eject rifle.

If you ever get the chance to shoot a scope set up like that, you will have a hard time switching back.

Whatever I am lookin at, when I raise my rifle the scope is dead on and I keep both eyes open so I have a huge field of vision.

Fantastic set up for heavy woods. Probadly not the best for 800 yard shots but that's not what the guns made for.

If you ever want to try my .308 Ruger aid be happy to meet you somewhere. Just don't get mad at me if you go out and buy one for yourself:p:eek::D

I just got a Henry in .357 recently. Octagonal, 20" barrel. The thing weighs a ton. But the build quality is really spectacular. From the bronze receiver, to the wood, to the bluing of the barrel, it all looks fantastic. Add to that the action is very smooth, right out of the box.

I had been looking at a similar gun from Rossi as I have a friend that has a stainless Rossi in .357 that is actually a pretty nice gun too. Not quite the build quality of the Henry, but several hundred less in cost. I didn't find the action to be as 'gritty' as some people describe, but maybe that varies between guns. I've thought of getting a Rossi in .44 mag one of these days.

I've got a co-worker with a Marlin in .45-70, not sure how old it is. I shot it last year and it seemed to be a newer gun. He uses it for hunting and spoke highly of the gun. Though I've heard mixed reports of the newer Marlins online.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Henry. They're almost as much a show piece as they are a shooting rifle. If you ever want to take a closer look, let me know and I'd be happy to let you check it out.

Im leaning toward the Henry except I dont like that you have to put your hand in front of the muzzle to load it.

Im leaning toward the Henry except I dont like that you have to put your hand in front of the muzzle to load it.

I can understand that. I guess I'm used to it because it loads exactly like my old Marlin Model 60 .22lr - and I've been loading that since the early 80's. You can remove the rod and load without going in front of the muzzle, if you're careful. I just always do it with the action open to be safe. You can even throw in a chamber flag if you want, just for the added safety.

The loading was actually the only real drawback I saw to the Henry. I really wanted the side loading like the Rossi's use, but chose quality over loading style in the end. If Henry came out with a side loader, I'd probably sell this one to get that instead. Overall, it's not a huge issue for me.

If you look at the photo below, it's possible to remove the plunger/rod without crossing in front of the barrel. I just place the palm of my hand along the mag tube and use two fingers to unlock the knob, then pull it out, again, from the bottom of the rifle. Once the cartridges are loaded, but it back in reverse. I have seen YT videos of folks putting their palm over the muzzle - I can tell you there is no need to do that.

stbigboy_111706b.jpg

Last Edited:
Leave the action open.

I try to think of potential problems like "what if I get distracted and break one of the 4 rules" because Im human. In medicine we call it "pathological doubt" How many times do I need to make sure the glock is clear before I pull the trigger to take the slide off? I just checked it right? was I distracted?

too many years of making sure I did not forget something that would kill the patient.

Not a lot of options in .45/70 lever actions Sadly! What about a single shot Sharps replica? www.dixiegunworks.com may have something to trip your fancy. I see several listed in .44/40 as well as .45Colt Not sure if that helps, but you can find a lot of nice .45/70 long guns there as well, just hard to find a lever gun! Turnbull restorations sometimes has a "project gun" that may catch your eye, and you could also inquire about having them modify a new gun to look and feel like one of the old ones ( cept for the side eject) Good luck to you.

Well I like that attitude a lot!

But at some point you obviously decide that you're GTG, and finish the job. Be the same with the rifle!
Actually, I'm sure that we all multi check our weapons and procedures too. And......Henry's are purdy, too!;)

Well I like that attitude a lot!

But at some point you obviously decide that you're GTG, and finish the job. Be the same with the rifle!
Actually, I'm sure that we all multi check our weapons and procedures too. And......Henry's are purdy, too!;)

I agree! I double, triple, quadruple check guns before I pull a trigger, disassemble etc. And when I pull a trigger to take down on a Glock, it's always pointed in a safe direction.

These types of tube mags have been around a long time. No reason you can't safely load them, without crossing the muzzle.

I try to think of potential problems like "what if I get distracted and break one of the 4 rules" because Im human. In medicine we call it "pathological doubt" How many times do I need to make sure the glock is clear before I pull the trigger to take the slide off? I just checked it right? was I distracted?

too many years of making sure I did not forget something that would kill the patient.

With that attitude, I think you'd do just fine :)

Not a lot of options in .45/70 lever actions Sadly! What about a single shot Sharps replica? www.dixiegunworks.com may have something to trip your fancy. I see several listed in .44/40 as well as .45Colt Not sure if that helps, but you can find a lot of nice .45/70 long guns there as well, just hard to find a lever gun! Turnbull restorations sometimes has a "project gun" that may catch your eye, and you could also inquire about having them modify a new gun to look and feel like one of the old ones ( cept for the side eject) Good luck to you.

I started expanding my look into single shots as well. Like a uberti 1885 in 45-100 because why not spend more than a 50 bmg on a single round?

1885-high-wall-single-shot-special-sporting_2.png

I'll head back out to H&K gunshop on Friday and see what I find. He had 6-7 lever actions on the wall last time I was there but I did not pay attention. He tends to have a lot of unique stuff in the back as well. Plus he actually stocks weird ammo

I started expanding my look into single shots as well. Like a uberti 1885 in 45-100 because why not spend more than a 50 bmg on a single round?

View attachment 295487

I'll head back out to H&K gunshop on Friday and see what I find. He had 6-7 lever actions on the wall last time I was there but I did not pay attention. He tends to have a lot of unique stuff in the back as well. Plus he actually stocks weird ammo
That's where reloading comes in! Find one that takes .45/90 and you can use .45/70 and I think you can also use .45 Colt! Might make a nice multi use rifle for your needs!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top