JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys. I was just gifted a really nice Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 from my step-dad. He said he bought it new and has only put seven rounds through it to sight it in. I was for elk hunting, but then started having health issues and never could hunt. Anyway, I noticed that the barrel crown and some other things don't match the current rifle, and was curious as to when this was made.

The only number I see is on the action, but the Remington dating site chart doesn't seem to match my # format. Could someone tell me which digit they need to tell me year of manufacture and then tell me what it is once I give it to them?

Do I really have to take this thing apart to date it? Seems like the serial on the receiver should be enough, but every chart I go to says the number is on the barrel in a spot I would need to remove the stock to see.

You need to get the barrel codes off the left side, just in front of the receiver. They are letters, and they tell the tale. No need to disassemble.
Then go here:
<broken link removed>

One letter is all you need.

I had a heck of a time a while back finding the code on my 760 Gamemaster. It was stamped as YY when the gun wasn't supposed to have been made in 1952, but should have started 1953 etc.

Worse case scenario you could check with Remington, they are very helpful.

Appreciate the response, but the barrel code is not visible on this rifle, just the serial # on the action. Only one letter.
Got any pics? It may have been rebarrelled then, because I've never seen a Rem rifle without a barrel code on the original barrel.
Never.
ETA: They could be under the stock line I s'pose, but I've never seen that either. They are usually in plain view. But they are stamped, not rollmarked, so they aren't always as distinct as other markings.

Got any pics? It may have been rebarrelled then, because I've never seen a Rem rifle without a barrel code on the original barrel.
Never.
ETA: They could be under the stock line I s'pose, but I've never seen that either. They are usually in plain view. But they are stamped, not rollmarked, so they aren't always as distinct as other markings.
Yeah, thinking I will have to remove the stock and take a look. No big deal, but kind of a pain. He said that he bought it new and only fired seven shots through it, so no way it was rebarrelled. Thanks for the help.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top