JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to the forum, been thinking about SHTF preparedness for a while but am now finally free to do something about it.

First, a short background: I live alone on 5 acres in the Willamette Valley. Two houses (one rented out), three well (only one in use) and two creeks/irrigation ditches. I'm interested in setting up two manual pump systems, one on an unused well and one on the in-use well.

First, the unused well: It's right next to my house with the wellhead about 8-10" below ground; depth is 28' (surface water). Likely as old as the house, was hooked up to a shallow well pup in the garage. was discontinued 6 years ago due to a chronic E. Coli problem from a nearby septic system. I'd like to put in an old-timey style handpump, the kind where you move the handle up and down and the water comes out of the chute. Does anyone have experience with these? Is installation as simple as threading the pump onto the old pump supply line? I will, of course, boil/treat this water before use.

Second, the in-use well: Out in the field, supplies both houses. It's around 113' deep and is the deepest well for miles; it pulls from a different aquifer than everyone else. Even though it's deep, the static watter level is only 10', so a ground-level pump -should- work. I'd like to set up some sort of a manual pump for it too, but it uses a deep-well pump. Do these pumps have check valves equivalent to foot valve in a shallow well pump? Will manually drawing water through the pump cause damage?

I'm looking to set these systems up in case of power failure, pump failure and catastrophe.

Any thoughts?

Greg

Bison has expensive, all-stainless hand pumps:
Bison Hand Water Pumps

I have the same setup as you: an electric pump deep (85') and a static level of <15'. The Bison is made specifically to fit in the bore next to the existing pipe, so the systems don't interfere with each other.

I don't think that I could draw water up through the pump if it wasn't turning, and I wouldn't want to trust my supply to an inaccessible foot valve down the bore. So the solution for me is a separate hand pump with its own riser.

Have you tested your deep-well water for fertilizer residue? Nitrates are bad news in drinking water, and they've been overused in the Willamette Valley for decades.

I've only researched it a bit. I'm trying to avoid calling attention to my ability to get water when no one else can. I'll look into it though. Do you have anything you can recommend?

Greg

Not really, :D. I know they're still used and in production but thats about all. My dream (being on the wet side of the mountians) is to use a cistern and rain catchment... Ahhh the dreams I have. I could go through a 300k a week.

There are some well pump methods in use for the third world that are simple and reliable. Im not sure if they would work for what you have in mind. You can search on Youtube and come up with all kinds of interesting things. Might give you some ideas.

Interesting. I'll have to look into it. I'm probably going to start off converting the old, unused well with a simple, cheap pump as a 'proof of concept' kind of thing. I'll post my results, but it'll probably be a while.

Greg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top