JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At the gun show this weekend there was a .308, I was looking at and thinking hard about getting because it was pretty low cost and looked in decent shape from what I could see. The guy selling it told me it was greek. I remember it had a cross stamped on it inside a shield and had 1903/something/something, so I figured it was a mill surp re-bore and moved on. If it had been drilled for a scope I probably would have got it.

I decided to do some research today to see if I passed up a good deal. I'm now pretty confused about this as it seems to have been a sporterized 1903/14/27 or 1903/14/30 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, but from what I have read converting these to .308 would have been pretty tough. I'm just curious more then anything at this point if anyone knows more about these rifles particularly them being bored to .308.

I'm not sure about the exact model in question, but I recently field stripped and cleaned my buddy's Model 1952. These are really well made rifles with a super smooth bolt throw and nice trigger.

I think the 1903 has the butter knife handle, usually double set triggers, and the detachable mag like the 1952 (push button and twist plate). I could be wrong, but the Mannlicher Schoenauers are very unique and not easily confused with any other make. Do those features ring a bell?

Can't help with the 308 converion question. The 30-06 I worked on had a Leupold mount on it but one that's not been drilled and tapped would probably be more valuable.

How much was this rifle selling for and what condition? If its a Genuine Mannlicher in good shape with no scope mount I'd snatch it up quick if the price is good. I'd love to have one of these that hasn't been molested too much. No money right now.

Wrights sporting goods in Jacksonville, OR is who had it. He was asking $125, I'd probably get it now but I only have money for one .308 in the future and I am waiting to sell my pistol first. I'm almost certain it was stamped 1903/ ? / 1927. It was also a standard riffle stock so not a mauser style, which these should be from The research I did on it. I didnt see a way to remove the magazine but it had two holes in the bottom that made it look like you may have been able to twist a plate.

I'm not sure what you mean by butter knife handle or double set triggers. It had iron sights and the rear sight folded down to be flush with the barrel. It seemed really well made though. If the guy was closer I'd want to take an other look at it if he still had it. At $125 its probably worth it unless its a really bad re-bore/re-chamber I'm really new to riffles though.

I have the guys Email PM me and I can send it to you if your interested. I cant afford the gas/time down there and back unless I was sure it was going to be a good first riffle for me. =/

Thanks for the dealer info Pyro. After looking at some photos I think the rifle you saw is different than the 1952 type. I don't know much about those military Steyrs. They may have similar build quality and features, but I don't know.

If you just want a 308 to scope and knock around with, have you considered getting something newer? A used 700, 70, 77, or a Savage/Stevens should be affordable.

Savage/Stevens is what I am shooting for. Bi-mart has pretty good deals on 111 packages. I also have an add up in the wanted section. Just have a S&W sigma I really should sell first, or find someone to trade.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top