JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't say this for sure with this proposed law, but many times proposed laws will include some language that the drafter of the law knows probably won't fly, but it gives those who oppose it something to say they managed to strip out of the law before it was passed and still look like they were fighting for their constituents. It's basic contract negotiation. Ask for everything even if you know you won't get it all and let the other side feel like they won on at least one or two points.

I agree with Rufus - Keep it simple. Maybe it will make them think twice about breaking in if death was an option.
Legal process should be simple - Review and case closed vs if I would him or he gets away wounded - then I may have a lawsuit filed against me?

I learned that it is fear of life / threat ( no need of a weapon to be present)
Actually - in some states it is to your property line

Now - I cannot tell if I find someone in my house and he decided to cower in the corner: IS he really armed and just not displaying it, Hopped up on drugs and physically strong, etc. If I let my guard down - will he be able to attack me ( After all if you are not going to shoot - then I think I have a 50 - 50 probability of getting out of it.

I disagree. What is wrong with keeping it simple? If everyone knew the law was If you break into someone home, it's "open season", maybe the teenager would not be breaking into homes looking for drug money in the first place.

If you found him in your house, you could always give the poor little drug addict money if you wanted to, the law does not say you have to shoot him. I doubt anyone would shoot a cowering person in cold blood, but if you muddy up the law with feel good exceptions, it's basically worthless. I like it simple, maybe the junkies would get the hint. Don't want to die? Don't break into houses. It's easy!

There are less deadly ways of dealing with an unarmed dude trying to steal your TV. Like kicking the shiznit out of him. Of course if you aren't up to that, I guess your firearm is all you got.
One of the things they'll teach you when you take a CHL class is do not get involved in fights when you are armed, there is always at least one gun in every fight, yours. Would be a heckuva time to find out the dude stealing your TV is an accomplished grappler. You not only lose your TV but your life as well.

Bad thing about somone cowering in the corner is they may be trying to get their gun out. Not all but some thieves are actually pretty smart. The threat level will be up to you. But somone in my home while i am there knows There will be conflict. I do not intend to be the one on the floor.

On another forum I had asked about having a light mounted on a handgun for HD. Another member pointed out that if you have a gun mounted light then you will be pointing your gun at someone when you illuminate them and that could possible be a family member. I replied that might be the case but if you're an intruder in my home I don't care if you're a 80 year old lady using a walker. You're in my home uninvited and you are going to get a gun pointed at you. You might cower in a corner and therefore reduce your threat at whcih point I will continue to cover you until the LEO shows or you can do something really stupid and I will fling copper pointy things at you at great velocity.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top