Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Mandatory gun insurance before lawmakers in 4 states

Discussion in 'Firearm Legislation & Activism' started by Chee-to, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Mandatory gun insurance before lawmakers in 4 states
    Lawmakers in four states are considering measures that would require gun owners to maintain liability insurance or face a fine of up to $10,000.

Current gun liability insurance efforts are underway in Hawaii, New Hampshire, New York and Los Angeles. The measures are similar to one introduced last year in Congress by Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-NY. Maloney's bill, the Firearm Risk Protection Act, would require proof of liability insurance before someone is allowed to purchase a gun. Failure to have the insurance could result in the fine.

17949395-large.jpg

Bill would require gun owners to have liability insurance or pay $10,000 fine

There's been a surge of gun-control legislation in Congress in recent weeks. The latest efforts would require gun buyers to have liability insurance coverage before being allowed to purchase a weapon or face a fine of up to $10,000.

"We require insurance to own a car, but no such requirement exists for guns," Maloney said at the time of the bill's introduction. "The results are clear: car fatalities have declined by 25 percent in the last decade, but gun fatalities continue to rise."
    http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/02/mandatory_gun_insurance_before.html

2. nammac

nammac I-5 Corridor - West of Portland Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

"We require insurance to own a car, but no such requirement exists for guns," Maloney said at the time of the bill's introduction.

Well, last time I checked owning a car or driving a car was a "privilege", not a "Right". If we need insurance to exercise our Second Admendment Rights, will the media be required to have insurance before exercising their First Amendment Rights?

"The results are clear: car fatalities have declined by 25 percent in the last decade, but gun fatalities continue to rise."

What a bunch of horse hockey, just as many cars die today, insuring them has not eliminated their deaths...

Seriously, auto related deaths have to do with advancements in safety and technology, not auto insurance...

It feels a lot like April 1775...

For those not familiar, April 1775 was when the British army attempted to disarm the Colonists...

Repairguy, Slobray, Brutus57 and 9 others like this.
  3. kilimanjaro

kilimanjaro Skagit County Well-Known Member

Right, the game with auto insurance is get a policy, buy the car, then drop the policy. Take the risk of getting caught. I'm told one in four drivers under 30 is uninsured.

Only the law-abiding drivers obey the insurance law, what makes them think it will be any different for guns?

BTW, once they have a liability requirement, guess what's going to happen to the laws in this state that say people committing a crime can't sue the citizen who legally defends themselves?

nammac likes this.
  4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Yeah.. See how about we start with illegals buying vehicles and driving around uninsured first.

None of that is required to buy a vehicle privately.
    Also, you cannot apply this to someone who just OWNS firearms.. Firearms in a safe trump this BS insurance scam. They cannot harm anyone nor are they a liability. The only way theu could swing this is if you actively carry (CHL). And bubblegum, if Im forced to buy insurance Im openly carrying my AK and pistol around everywhere, I mean, thats what Id be paying for after all, right? :mad: The libs would bubbleguming hate that. I would urge EVERYONE to do the same.. It would be the antis worse nightmare.

This also limits your 2A rights, there isnt a chance in hell it can pass nationally.
    To deny someone who is not otherwise prevented by law (a felon) you cannot limit access to a firearm for bogus insurance.

Ill also add, should this go national and we are all required to buy this bubblegum, Ill be a VERY obliged to put down those people coming to my door to charge me or extort me out of even more hard earned money and more importantly, freedom.

Ill pay them in lead.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Stomper and EVILZ like this.
  5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Thats right, Id start making gut and groin shots.. I mean, thats what the insurance is for right haha

Stomper likes this.
  6. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

How about "chuck you Fharley"!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Enough of this infringement on the law abiding gun owners, how's about this requirement to be aimed soley at the criminals!!!!!:cool:
    One of these days TPTB are gonna wish that they had not poked the hornets nest!!!

Slobray, Brutus57, Stomper and 5 others like this.
  7. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Next, up on the Docket. You can not speak in public without insurance. this is in case your words of freedom harm others. After that to enter a church and practice your religion you will need insurance in case others are offended by you practicing worship.

And yet the Frucking arshold morons in this state don't vote and nation wide don't vote and these crock stuckers get in office cause people are to frucking lazy to fill out a ballet. I am mad at politicians but even more so at arse wipes who think votes never count so why bother attitude
    :mad::s0003:

jim97701, Slobray, Brutus57 and 8 others like this.
  8. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

We are lucky we are not all on BP medication :confused:.

philgil, Craig O, FortRock and 2 others like this.
  9. kilimanjaro

kilimanjaro Skagit County Well-Known Member

I've heard Washington could be a red state with about 200,000 votes, don't know if that's true or not, but some counties seem to have blue majorities that could be rendered impotent with just a few thousand votes.

Stomper, EVILZ, DuneHopper and 2 others like this.
  10. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

It all starts by getting the Pro 2A Democrat voting fence sitters converted, the true blues are not worth the effort IMHO.

Slobray likes this.
  11. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Exactly what would be covered? Could anyone then just "accidently" shoot someone and get all their legal costs and judgment $'s expenses paid?
    Would an insurance company be able to cancel or deny coverage even if it was a justified shooting? That would put them in the position of violating someone's constitutional rights...like "red-lining" certain neighborhoods was deemed to be?

Hardly seems like something that will make anyone safer...If anything it will remove a big part of the need to practice responsible gun ownership. How many murders would become "accidental discharges"?

12. nammac

nammac I-5 Corridor - West of Portland Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

There will be an exception for Muslims on the Religious Insurance, brought to you by the POTUS and his Muslim cabinet...

Brutus57, erudne, FortRock and 2 others like this.
  13. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Another group of politicians that have sold their souls to insurance company lobbyists. Just like the pols that passed the "act of god" law(s) that allows them to skate on paying disaster claims, and the dems that drove health insurance customers to their door with the ACA.

I hate to tell you guys, but insurance companies OWN this country, and these laws will become far more popular if the SCOTUS doesn't strike down one or two.
    And that may take years, knowing the kind of money InsCos can pour into legal representation.

Slobray, Brutus57 and Caveman Jim like this.
  14. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

WHOA THERE . . . THEN all it would take to infringe your 2nd Amendment rights is for someone in the regime of the state to convince the insurers to not issue policies.
    Conspiracy? . . . You tell me!?!?!?

15. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Or make them so high priced that only the elite can afford them.
    It's what they do.

erudne, dude23, FortRock and 3 others like this.
  16. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Great, will we have to carry uninsured shooterist coverage too?

boogerhook, Brutus57, erudne and 5 others like this.
  17. FortRock

FortRock Bend/Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I am closing on a place in a very rural location in a different state soon. The PNW has been over-run by commies.
    FortRock out.

Brutus57 and erudne like this.
  18. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Laws do not have to make sense to the peons, but only to the rulers and their cronies. This appears to be bills in the interest of the insurance industry, conjoined with the gun banners. The answer is to ignore the law, as usual. And to patronize the black market.

Ah, so one imposition justifies another... This is tyrants' logic.

erudne, dude23 and Caveman Jim like this.
  19. Jabba

Jabba Oregon Member

How about mandating the police carry insurance so when they shoot up a car or building the owner is compensated?

Brutus57, erudne and Caveman Jim like this.
  20. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

Sounds like another back door attempt at documenting who has a firearm.

coyote223, dude23, DMax and 3 others like this.