JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,
I just moved here from a sunshine state where humidity was not an issue, So my question is what do I need to start doing do keep my guns from suffering, I have glocks, AR15s, M1A, Ruger 10/22, and a shotgun....

I usually only worried about the inside of barrel, coated them with CLP after cleaning. however I did not clean them after every time I shot them, maybe once every other month or so depending on how much I have shot them....the Glocks are rarely cleaned...

At present I do not have an air tight safe, only a gun cabinet, so will that be an issue?

I use the Eva-Dry E-500. I found them when they were selling 5 of them together for about $75. I use all of them at the same time, and when they get saturated, I just plug them into the wall and they dry out. I have one of the rods in my small safe, don't really know if it works or not, but other people say that they do. Even here you won't have to worry about the Glocks, unless you plan on leaving them outside in the rain. The ones to check frequently are the ones with a fine deep bluing. This is another reason I am a big fan of stainless.

I use Eva-Dry and Goldenrod dehumidifiers at home in various applications. They work. Biggest test of the Goldenrod was in a small storage room. There were humidity issues prior to installing the Goldenrod; no issues whatsoever after the Goldenrod was in.

if you want to "do it on the cheap" for a start you can google making your own desiccant packs. They aren't plug in to recharge but good for a temporary solution. Just go to the craft store (michaels, etc.) and you can usually find silica gel / crystals in the flower arrangement area - they use it to dry flowers. Get a bag of the stuff - 2 lb if I recall for about $8. pour some into a coffee filter, fold the edges of the filter over and staple / tape together so you don't loose the crystals - I tend to use 2-3 thick on the filters to avoid tears. seal up the unused portion of the silica in an airtight container for next time you replace your packs. Also you can "recharge" the silica by removing it from the filters, spread it out on a baking pan (with edges so you don't spill it in the oven and attract the wrath of the spouse). put it in the oven on a low setting for a few hours. immediately after removing from the oven you need to put it into an airtight container ( I used an ammo can) and seal it up leaving it to cool off while sealed for a day or so - that way it won't absorb any moisture while it cools. repackage in the coffee filters and you are good to go for another 3-6 mos depending on the humidity of your home.

As for your gun locker not being air tight - to help seal up the safe you can tape or caulk any gaps in the seams and tape the bolt holes over then get a roll of the sticky back foam for sealing doors / windows, etc. at your local hardware store / home depot / lowes and use it to create a tighter seal around the inside of the door. Another option for sealing the door would be to get a roll of the flexible magnet material and cover the door seams on the outside but it would cost you more than the foam tape.

Good luck and congrats on moving to a more gun friendly state.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top