JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm shopping for ammo for my first deer hunt. I'm using a Browning 7mm rem mag and I'd like to find a round that doesn't recoil as much as normal. It sounds like the Remington Managed Recoil loads are good, does anyone here have any experience with them?

I have no experience with managed recoil loads. They shoot a lighter bullet at a lower velocity to reduce recoil. If you aren't into heavy recoil, a magnum probably isn't the best caliber for you. The last thing you want to do is develop a flinch.

If you're shooting a rifle with a recoil pad and still are feeling "bit" by recoil, try a PAST recoil sheild. I have one and it works well for sighting in a rifle and target shooting.

When it comes time to firing a rifle or shotgun at game, I don't even feel the recoil as I'm too focused on the target.

For this area, I wouldn't feel undergunned with a .243. It is perfectly adequate for the brushy hunting areas around here. For the record, although I own 30-06 and .308 rifles, I prefer to tote my 30-30. It is light, handy and doesn't have much recoil. Remember: Hitting the target is all that counts!

The main reason I'm using this gun is because it the rifle I have. It was the rifle my late grandpa hunted with. Eventually I will be picking up a newer gun with a smaller caliber.

It also seems like you can't find "light" rounds anywhere right now, so I guess that answers the question of using them this year.

The main reason I'm using this gun is because it the rifle I have. It was the rifle my late grandpa hunted with. Eventually I will be picking up a newer gun with a smaller caliber.

It also seems like you can't find "light" rounds anywhere right now, so I guess that answers the question of using them this year.

Like others have said, the recoil (and yeah, the 7mm Mag bites hard, anyone here who disagrees hasnt shot one) is a pain in the arse sighting it in, but once you have a really nice opportunity for a shot, and you can concentrate on not flinching, you don't feel it as much in the field.

Personally, if someone gave me choice of calibers already sighted in , I'd actually choose a 7mm mag for almost any big-game hunting here in OR. ;)

THat being said, I hunt in the coastal range. I'll never come upon a shot further than 300 yards. Therefor I carry a .308 semi-auto, and it will kill anything out there.

I'm shopping for ammo for my first deer hunt. I'm using a Browning 7mm rem mag and I'd like to find a round that doesn't recoil as much as normal. It sounds like the Remington Managed Recoil loads are good, does anyone here have any experience with them?

I use them in my 300WinMag for deer. Helps to keep the gun "versatile".:cool:

They are easier to shoot than full loads - just not as powerful.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top