JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get some bumbells and start some arm curls, butterflies, and even do presses with them. That'll build up your wrists, forearms, biceps, deltoids, and pecks... where all recoil forces travel through. ;)

I think you might be on to something here. I need to make it back to the gym again. Other parts of my body is starting to reveal it's age as well. But I have been pretty good at them curls lately: 264832-bc7e2fbee6820a6d836af825fced841d.jpg

Already have the Hogue grips with the soft rubber, but it almost feels like they could make it feel worse. It's like they grab the hand and allow for extra efficient recoil transfer. I've been toying with the idea of switching to some slicker grips that could allow the grip to slide a little in the hand. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Not to keen on porting. I tried my buddy's ported 460XVR at full power and though the recoil didn't feel as bad as my .454, the shockwave and noise traveling backwards made it feel like someone lit off a stick of dynamite in front of my nose.

Even though I shoot pretty stout loads,(Haven't chronoed them), through my G29/G20 they never feel as harsh as the SRH.

I think I'll start with some strengthening and maybe using gloves and see where that takes me.

Cheers!

It'd be interesting to do something like this:
But I don't want to sacrifice my SRH

12ozcurls.jpg

I have been shooting a Ruger 44 mag since the early 60's . Started off with the original 6" barrel, which I was just like you. Too much recoil. I since have gone to the super Blackhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel. I had both guns magna ported and feel it's worth the $110. Good grips help, but shoot with reduced loads until you match the recoil action with your arm. Fighting the movement makes the recoil feel stronger then it really is. It may take you several hundred 300/500 rounds before you roll with the punches~ so to speak. Then slowly up the loads/bullet grns. The heavier the bullet the more recoil you'll feel. Not sure what your intended purpose is with that big of a gun. If it's hunting you will only shoot once any way. If it for target shooting get some thing smaller.
I'm 80 years old and don't have the strength I used to have, but can still burn up a box of ammo @ the range easy. Just my 2 cents:s0010::s0010::s0010:

Weight, is indeed one of the large factors here.

My 6 inch GP100 is a tank, feels really nice with .357's but the .38sp loads are like firing a .22 short, not even remotely fun, so the need for a .38 snub is apparent here.

The softer grips help absorb the recoil energy just like the recoil pad on a rifle.
Yeah, this too, Ruger's ugly, yet very effective, Hogue full rubber grips are nice for that. I changed mine out, i think, before i even fired my first shots, as i really can't stand how they look :oops:

i obtained a 1937 contract revolver in 45acp
and it literally hurts to shoot my reloads and i went on the light side 8.2gr behind a 230 gr lead round nose bullet. Manual says to use between 8.0 and 8.6 gr of HS6. Revolver shoots accurately but sure makes those dough boys look tough and me the opposite
Any reccomemdation on reducing the felt recoil. I have shot 460 and 500's that did not feel that much better. Good grips?

I've found the right grips and good shooting gloves can reduce the "youch" factor. I haven't played with porting, except on shotguns, so I can't comment on that.

Oh and I always wear leather gloves when shooting the Super Shorty in 12-gauge. Recoil is, um, peppy. ;)

Last Edited:
I have a Ruger SBH with the heavy 10" barrel, apparently designed for silhouette shooting. Even standard .44 Mag loads were painful in that gun, so it now sits in the gun safe, unused. On the other hand, John Linebaugh once let me shoot one of his .500 Linebaugh Ruger conversions, which had the Bisley treatment. I was amazed at how reasonable the recoil was in that gun. Linebaugh only does his magic on Bisley guns, for a good reason.

Another example is my S&W 629, which I have worked up some 300 gr loads for (although not Ruger-level loads, heh). I can take that no problem with the stock grip. But for my S&W 686, the heavy 180gr loads were just too painful. The 686 grip is narrower than the 629 grip is. To handle the 180gr loads, I had to put a Pachmyer grip on the 686. It is quite a bit wider.

I've shown this a few times before, but this GP100 has Hogue walnut grips - fairly large, and combined with the weight of the gun distribute and tame the .357 recoil very nicely. I imagine Hogue rubber grips would cut it down even more.

image.jpeg

I have a 500 Magnum with a 10" barrel and that I can shoot my 350 grain max load rounds pretty much all day long with. I did discover this past weekend that when I go to the 700 grain at around 1000 FPS my hands start getting sore quickly.

I would suggest porting or a brake. Mine has a pretty good muzzle brake on it so that takes a bunch of the pain away.

Duct tape her down to the rest. That'l take some kick out:D

Ehhmmm, he,he,he
bevisandbutthead.jpg
I bet you don't dare firing that with a string,he,he,he

I have a 500 Magnum with a 10" barrel and that I can shoot my 350 grain max load rounds pretty much all day long with. I did discover this past weekend that when I go to the 700 grain at around 1000 FPS my hands start getting sore quickly.

I would suggest porting or a brake. Mine has a pretty good muzzle brake on it so that takes a bunch of the pain away.

Yea, seems like 300 grs hurt more than the 240s. Out of 100 each, I still have 30ish or so 300s left. That's all.

I'll keep doing my curls every evening and see if I can get some range time this wekend.

Last Edited:
Firing .38 caliber rounds from a .357 has very little kick.

That has been my experience with .38s in full-sized .357 Mag revolvers; the .38s are an absolute delight to shoot, but the full-house .357s are a bit more spunky, though not unpleasant. When you get into snub-nose territory (and I've shot many and currently carry one with a CHL) it is a little different.

If I buy a hand gun caliber bigger than my 10 mm it will be in a lever gun.
I've tried to se the value in large caliber hand guns but they need to be as heavy as a lever gun to be enjoyable and so you can get follow up shots

How does everybody go about minimizing felt recoil for revolvers?

I'm shooting Ruger SRH in .454 Cassull and the last year I moved to full power loads, 240 grs ~ 2000 fps and 300 grs ~ 1600 fps. The felt recoil is kind of harsh. Doing more than a dozen or so rounds per session is not enjoyable.

I've tried to allow the recoil to flip the muzzle more by not holding my arms completely straight, but rather keeping an angle at the elbow. Not sure if there are more than one way to do this, but it didn't help me that much.

The very best way to reduce recoil is to let me shoot it untill you get tired. :D

Got to shoot a 454 one time and fell in love with it, not sure why but the bigger the caliber the better I shoot.

I think you might be on to something here. I need to make it back to the gym again. Other parts of my body is starting to reveal it's age as well. But I have been pretty good at them curls lately:View attachment 315155

Already have the Hogue grips with the soft rubber, but it almost feels like they could make it feel worse. It's like they grab the hand and allow for extra efficient recoil transfer. I've been toying with the idea of switching to some slicker grips that could allow the grip to slide a little in the hand. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Not to keen on porting. I tried my buddy's ported 460XVR at full power and though the recoil didn't feel as bad as my .454, the shockwave and noise traveling backwards made it feel like someone lit off a stick of dynamite in front of my nose.

Even though I shoot pretty stout loads,(Haven't chronoed them), through my G29/G20 they never feel as harsh as the SRH.

I think I'll start with some strengthening and maybe using gloves and see where that takes me.

Cheers!

It'd be interesting to do something like this:
But I don't want to sacrifice my SRH

View attachment 315148

Ha!

I just went and found that video in my history list to post on here, but I see you beat me too it:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top