JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I thought he was familiar to me. Man, I wish he would have made different choices that day. I agree with what you say in another post, he probably has set us back as gun owners even further in this state - and we DO NOT need that right now. I wonder what new law Portland/Mult Co is going to pass now as a result?

He has always carried while filming.

I've watched a lot of his videos and in them he does take a lot of abuse. Every video I've seen only starts right before he draws.

Nothing backs up the claim of feeling threatened and his attempts to back away are shown in the videos. He always has been passive.

Remember that Skye Fitzgerald a year ago ran into him with his car and broke his shoulder. He has taken abuse and he is well known in the establishment crowd in Portland.

His defense is on his camera.

Many others had this incident on camera too.

Take a look at this video of the incident:

Thanks @Lance Jacobs . I have seen that footage as well. It does show him being advanced on, but it also shows him well away from the crowd (at least what I can tell) when he pulls his weapon. At least that is my Saturday afternoon quarter backing perception. Again, IMHO I think he could have saved himself a lot of trouble, if he had just NOT DONE that......

This one is a real mixed bag for me. Mike and I have been friends for many years.
Do I think he used good judgement in this situation, No, I do not.
Do I agree with his politics, not really, but I support his passion and right to do what he does with every fiber of my body.
I personally think the lesson here (for which he looks like he is going to pay dearly for) is about when and why to pull a weapon. I cannot get into his head, but pulling a gun, is always going to be a last resort for me, and if I DO pull a gun, I had better damn well be sure the situation calls for it, and I intend to use it.
I think (with out knowing his exact circumstance) that he should have been a little thicker skinned in this situation, and just avoided as best as he could the people who were allegedly advancing on him. If we ever do get to see the footage from his camera, that led up to his pulling a gun, we might understand better why he did. Based on the "other" footage that I have seen, I question his judgement.

Pulling a gun should always be a last resort. Better to have some pepper spray or a taser with you to initially pull out if threatened in a situation like this. Pointing a gun at anyone is always going to open up a huge can of legal worms. If the only means of defense that you have available is a gun, then you paint yourself into a corner.

At best case, a good attorney might be able to get him off, but at a huge financial cost. At worst case, he is convicted of a felony, and loses his right to forever own firearms.

The other bad thing for him is that any trial would be conducted in Portland. There might not be very many conservatives on the jury. :(

It was rather interesting to hear the Mayor of Portland speak at that rally, and ask the citizens of Portland to all put down their weapons, and disarm themselves.

I wonder, will people who conceal carry in Portland, all now comply with the Mayor's request?

So many government officials seem to be of the opinion that disarming the public is the solution to our current problems.

I never herd of this guy but if he wants to be a journalist he needs to play by journalist rules and not be the story. If he wants to be the anti-anti-protester then maybe he should know people are going to get in his face. The last video does not put him in a good position by my understanding of CC.

It's like starting a fight then saying I had to pull a gun to defend myself. Anyone who thinks they will go to a BLM, Klan or abortion rally and change the oppositions view is a true nut case. Go, take your pictures, hope a naked bike ride will happen by then go home.

I come on firearm, motorcycles and maybe a naughty site here and there because that's what I'm into. Other sites, I leave them people be, because you can't win them over.

I have to say I may not agree politically with the guy who filmed that video but he did a really good job of trying to defuse the situation and keep the crowd from advancing any closer to the gun-carrier.

Watching that video also makes be really grateful to live in little old Newberg instead of Portland. There is no way in hell I would voluntarily put myself within 10 miles of one of those protests!

I just dont know what to think. He had every right to be there and exercise his own 1A rights. The protesters were definitely attempting to intimidate him and were trying to keep him for exercising his 1A rights. Definitely some size missmatch between him and some of the protestors. The one bigger guy with no shirt was showing pre-attack indicators. An attorney could articulate those things. He helps himself by holstering as people back off. The guy filming him states the guy is afraid to turn his back, which does show that reasonable people on scene identified there was a perceived threat on the part of the guy with the gun.

Doesn't make it smart though. Smart and legal are two very different things.

1) I question the wisdom of anybody going to any of these gatherings at this point in time. The possibility of violence is demonstrable. Why people took their kids to the DFW gathering is beyond me.

2) Why take a weapon to such a gathering? I understand that there is a danger there. But it should be obvious that the actual greater danger is getting into a mess like this guy did.

^ This x1000. Don't willingly go into a bad situation (first) looking to draw attention to yourself (second), and then act surprised when bad things happen.

Ability - disparity of force (check)
Opportunity - close enough to kill you (check)
Jeopardy - (no check)

I guess I don't understand....

If I'm on way peaceably from a to b, and a "mob" comes up on me and I'm fearful for my life its one thing.

If I'm intentionally at, and injecting myself into a "mob"? Not so much a legal leg to stand on I'd imagine.

---and---

What a waste of resources! These folks seem to think that it's just some kind of a big game.

Last Edited:
thanks. makes sense why he was there and why he was armed. Did they guy that broke his arm go to jail?

I met him briefly at the capital protest over sb 941. I'm not surprised that he was down there filming

That was William Saunderson who had his arm broken last year by Skye Fitzgerald. Skye tweeted Ginny Burdick and Earl Blumenauer for help. Next thing you know that case was dropped.

Meanwhile millions of gun owners stayed home, minded their own business and are enjoying their weekend unencumbered by the foolishness of the zombie hoard.

I wouldn't be there with these idiots. If I were a Peace Officer, it would be a different story. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near these "problem children". It would simply complicate my life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top