JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone see the Man vs. Wild Urban Survival episode? I just seen it tonight, I think it was a rerun though.

Anyways, if you have not seen it its pretty much like all the other episodes, just putting himself in risky situations.

I got a few things from the episode though, how to make a torch out of roofing felt was a good one, as there would be alot of that around. Then that second torch he made out of the antifreeze and some sort of medication that I dont recall (I need to research it)

Also making the fire out of the car battery and the headlight was pretty slick!

Other than that the show was just his wild and crazy stunts and IMO they left out many portions of survival. They should of left him there for a week like they do with most of his other shows. And shown how to gather water and food...

I got a few good ideas added to the memory bank, so that is a plus..

Anyone see the Man vs. Wild Urban Survival episode? I just seen it tonight, I think it was a rerun though.

Anyways, if you have not seen it its pretty much like all the other episodes, just putting himself in risky situations.

I got a few things from the episode though, how to make a torch out of roofing felt was a good one, as there would be alot of that around. Then that second torch he made out of the antifreeze and some sort of medication that I dont recall (I need to research it)

Also making the fire out of the car battery and the headlight was pretty slick!

A car battery and steel wool work even better.

Other than that the show was just his wild and crazy stunts and IMO they left out many portions of survival. They should of left him there for a week like they do with most of his other shows. And shown how to gather water and food...

I got a few good ideas added to the memory bank, so that is a plus..

My son and I watched if and of course had to make plenty of jokes such as setting traps at the McDonalds drive through................and how [English accent]humans are high in protein and vit-a-mins.[/English accent]

A car battery and steel wool work even better.

if thats the case a 9volt would be the easiest to handle :s0155:

I just figure in a serious SHTF in an urban or even rural setting and you are savaging for anything useful there would be plenty of car goodies to take..

I am thinking to deep into this lol.. Matches and lighters would last plenty of time. It would be months if not year when I would be to the point where I would have to use a car battery to start a fire :s0112:

snl-macgruber.jpg

And what was up at the end of the episode? He just crawls out of a sewer and there are suddenly cars and people around?

yeah, right.... things so bad for so long the matches and Bics are all gone, and he's gonna find a car battery that's still hot enough to start a fire?

Only in Hollywood.

Actually, steel wool does work pretty well, but so would any piece of ordinarly wire, or even metal. Get your kindling close, short the battery with the wire, the tinder right in the spark...... once it goes, add in kindling and voilá...... a magnifying glass or camera lens does the same, focus the sun's rays on the tinder.... except, here in the Pacific Northwet you might have to wait a month or two for enough sun to work. Now THAT might make a good episode.... surviving winter hereabouts with things pretty well fallen apart.

The dude that does "Survivorman" did an urban survival special a couple years back for if youre stuck in a huge flood. It was actually pretty good and had a lot of useful info.

Behr Grylls or whatever his name is.. he's a joke.

Les Stroud Survivorman is more realistic on how you would be.

THere are a few things that you can learn but what pisses me off the most lately is the surge in "END OF DAYS" crap that's flooding the media outlets. Whip people into a frenzy then see what happens. I guess ratings sell..

Behr Grylls or whatever his name is.. he's a joke.

Les Stroud Survivorman is more realistic on how you would be.

THere are a few things that you can learn but what pisses me off the most lately is the surge in "END OF DAYS" crap that's flooding the media outlets. Whip people into a frenzy then see what happens. I guess ratings sell..

Their shows may be different but if you dropped the both of them in the middle of **** and asked me to bet which one would make it out first, or at all my $$ would be on the former special forces vet. His show may be fancied up for certain tv audiences but he is far from a 'joke'.

Last Edited:
Their shows may be different but if you dropped the both of them in the middle of **** and asked me to bet which one would make it out first, or at all my $$ would be on the former special forces vet. His show may be fancied up for certain tv audiences but he is far from a 'joke'.

I kind of agree but would like to see Bear get dropped in a situation by himself. He has who knows how many camera men with him and who knows who else:huh: After watching both I do like Survivorman better but after reading his bio:huh:

I kind of agree but would like to see Bear get dropped in a situation by himself. He has who knows how many camera men with him and who knows who else:huh: After watching both I do like Survivorman better but after reading his bio:huh:

They just did an episode that shows his camera crew...he has at least three guys with him in every episode. But usually one guy follows him EVERYWHERE and on EVERYTHING. I'm sure there are guys even behind the scenes of the crew as well...probably someone with a satellite phone and GPS unit.

Also remember that Bear intentionally places himself in potentially deadly situations to demonstrate survival techniques...like jumping in a frozen lake etc...
I like both shows though.

A couple notes about that episode; #1) the chemicals to create fire are glycerin or ethylene glycol or other ethanols and Potassium permanganate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_permanganate What PP is really used for is as a disinfectant but I don't know too many modern first aid kits that i have ever seen that contains this. It was definitely staged as all his acts are.

As an oxidant, potassium permanganate can act as a disinfectant. For example, dilute solutions are used to treat canker sores (ulcers), disinfectant for the hands and treatment for mild pompholyx, dermatitis,[4][5] and fungal infections of the hands or feet.[6] Potassium permanganate, obtainable at pool supply stores, is used in rural areas to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from well and waste water. Historically it was used to disinfect drinking water.[7]

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_reaction_between_potassium_permanganate_and_ethylene_glycol

I've done this experiment myself and it does take some time to react and is pretty cool, look on youtube for videos of it.

#2) I also do Commercial HVAC for a living and he was crazy to get into that ductwork, they must have mapped it out ahead of time because in most cases ductwork can't hold a lot of weight, but he was in some heavy duty stuff. Many times the duct will drop straight down buildings, he was lucky that when he dropped out it wasn't 20 or 30 feet up from the floor.

#3) I haven't seen a building over 3 stories that didn't have a roof access though. Your better off getting into a building like that through roof vents or skylights than going blindly into ductwork.

#4) The show is definitely just that; a entertainment show. Most of everything he does would get the average person killed. Why climb all over the place for a dove egg? You would be better served making more rat traps. I love how he went down the elevator shaft.. who in there right mind would try that unless you were a rock climber or just asking for it, the risks way outweigh the rewards in 99% of what he does.

#5) I love watching these shows for what they are, but I usually take away from them what not to do. I also watched the show titled; Shooting Skills and I thought finally we would see Bear carrying some firearms and shooting stuff up but I was disappointed it was just a background on the camera crew which was good any way and I feel sorry for those guys having to try and keep up with Bear...lol I wish I in that good of shape!

#6) not relating to the show but in most cases with a 9v or 12v battery and most any bare wire you can create enough heat to start a fire, but did you know you can also do the same with a pencil lead? Take the lead from a pencil and short it across a car battery and bamm bright light and intense heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q098hrLE5R4

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top