JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally while I applaud those that 'exercise' open carry, so that peeps become more educated to gun rights and such....concealed eliminates the worry of someone calling in a 'man with a gun' on you....and concealed certainly gives you the tactical advantage to pull it out or not...bad guys that get a drop on you, might not be as nervous about shooting you, if they don't think your armed...

The idea that the cops are on your side, when it comes to gun rights, is a little naive...the fact that 'officer safety' has now taken precedence over your civil rights...might mean that you could be taken down at gunpoint, cuffed, with a big knee on your neck...then when everything checks out...you probably will get a ticket or charge for something to give the officer, some rationale for probable cause, ect...it then costs you $5000 in attorney fees, maybe a night in jail, it might all go away, but your gun will probably be forfeit, unless you want to drop a grand to make a 'case' to get it back...

Now even if you were approached by a cop, calmly, you got stopped, questioned, and basically given the 'attitude test' ...let's see if you pass...if he's in a good mood that day, or not...if he's a younger cop, he probably wants to take you down for something....either way, your being detained....fun...right?

The days of the wild west where everyone had a gun on them, and everyone was used to it...is over...

Probably the only real way to truly exercise open carry in an educational fashion with the least risk is to do so in group...housewives, kids coming along...groups....safety in numbers....to some park, restaurant.....ect..

Anyone who hasn't seen this thread should read it and see the vid, imho.

It makes me certain that I don't want to have the responsibilities of a cop. Link

Ah, but we have some people on this forum who don't want the facts. They just want to knee-jerk bash cops. We can't let facts stop their paranoia, now can we? :)

While it may well turn out that the cops were wrong here (or not, we don't know) let's not stop the cop bashers' fun in the meantime, before all the facts are public, OK? :)
There was absolutely no mention of brandishing or anything like that, the article claimed a man was simply open carrying, so as it stands right now, the cops are in the wrong.

There was absolutely no mention of brandishing or anything like that, the article claimed a man was simply open carrying, so as it stands right now, the cops are in the wrong.

As it stands right now, we don't know the whole story. Period.

I'm up for waiting for the whole story. If it turns out the cops did wrong, nail them. In the meantime, how about innocent until proven guilty?

As it stands right now, we don't know the whole story. Period.

I'm up for waiting for the whole story. If it turns out the cops did wrong, nail them. In the meantime, how about innocent until proven guilty?

Do you honestly think that the police and/or media would have failed to mention if the guy had been brandishing the weapon, or behaving in a threatening manner? If he had actually been doing anything threatening then I am pretty sure the headlines would have been more along the lines of "Crazed gunman arrested in local supermarket", and that he would have been arrested not just ticketed and released. The quotes from the officers also in my opinion lead me to believe that they had an imperfect understanding of open carry laws at best. If I was on a jury I would certainly expect to know every possible detail before passing judgement, but I think there is enough information to draw a reasonable conclusion on a message board. If additional information comes out that shows the man was behaving in a threatening manner I will happily eat my words, but I really doubt that will happen.

Do you honestly think that the police and/or media would have failed to mention if the guy had been brandishing the weapon, or behaving in a threatening manner? If he had actually been doing anything threatening then I am pretty sure the headlines would have been more along the lines of "Crazed gunman arrested in local supermarket", and that he would have been arrested not just ticketed and released. The quotes from the officers also in my opinion lead me to believe that they had an imperfect understanding of open carry laws at best. If I was on a jury I would certainly expect to know every possible detail before passing judgement, but I think there is enough information to draw a reasonable conclusion on a message board. If additional information comes out that shows the man was behaving in a threatening manner I will happily eat my words, but I really doubt that will happen.

Fair enough. Let's let the whole story come out. Again, if the cops did wrong here, I'll be just a ticked as anyone. :s0155:

this man has had his rights violated and if you think otherwise you should go chain yourself to a tree; don't forget your hemp sweater

Yeah, I agree. That old fashioned right of being innocent until proven guilty is just a nuisance. It just gets in our way and slows things down.

Let's get our horses and our ropes and string 'em up. :)

Most WA cops are clueless about this law and how onerous it is. I have spoken to Joe Waldron about it but he says there is not enough momentum to get it overturned. That's going to be up to us

I have personal experience with this several years ago because one of my ex neighbors was a single female, 40 something, pill popping lunatic who once saw me check out crashing noises in my backyard at 12 midnight with my mossberg, (I have a shed full of tools and section 8 housing/meth/druggies/gangs nearby, several recent burglaries at that time, turned out to be another neighbor noisily working in his shed) and one week later she called the cops and no doubt hysterically described what she "thought" she saw. Two cops show up at my door (good cop/bad cop routine.. bad cop "do you have a shotgun?") at first I refused to say anything except "what kind of a question is that to ask a man?" :D and "I have nothing to say" and then finally I got them to tell me why they were there.. so knowing what it was about and that they couldn't touch me I told them what happened, and they finally split on friendly terms

So even on your own land you can get hassled. This absurd law must be overturned ASAP

Sounds like my neighborhood. Across the greenbelt that borders my back yard is a very sketchy neighborhood, and my house has been broken into once. Makes me a little nervous when the dogs are in the house and the motion detector flood light in the back yard kicks on. I've wondered around the back yard with the AR a few times.

Fair enough. Let's let the whole story come out. Again, if the cops did wrong here, I'll be just a ticked as anyone. :s0155:

According to an article I just read the police admitted that Kirby "...made no menacing statements or gestures to anyone at 5000 E. Fourth Plain Blvd., police say. He simply stood around near stores for 10 to 15 minutes before someone called 911." Here is a link to the complete article as well. I would say that makes it a pretty clear-cut case of the police being in the wrong.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/23/prosecutor-reviews-man-with-gun-case/

The thing that really irks me about this,, is that the guy has to hire a lawyer regardless whether the police were wrong or not,, that is out of pocket expense for exercising the right to open carry. no disrespect to any LEO reading this,, but i almost think police know that regardless of whether they are wrong or not that they(the police )realize that it costs a private citizen cold hard cash to prove there innocents. and maybe they do this to people as a financial deterent for there own adgenda of having people not open carry.

What is right and wrong? In Washington it is legal to carry a firearm openly. In Washington A Leo gave a ticket to a guy carrying a firearm and took his gun.

That's messed up! Yes you can..No you can't! Eah? :confused:

According to an article I just read the police admitted that Kirby "...made no menacing statements or gestures to anyone at 5000 E. Fourth Plain Blvd., police say. He simply stood around near stores for 10 to 15 minutes before someone called 911." Here is a link to the complete article as well. I would say that makes it a pretty clear-cut case of the police being in the wrong.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/23/prosecutor-reviews-man-with-gun-case/

Like I said, when the facts are in, if the police really violated his rights this way, nail them. I open carry once in a while and I wouldn't sit still for any abuse over it, out it public.

If the police wanted to just ask me about it, that wouldn't bother me, but they shouldn't detain me and they sure better not charge me with a crime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top