JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what was this person charged with?
The odd thing is the ear-witness heard a very loud report first and then some lower level ones.. and the "perp" was carrying a .22? hinky times

I say make it a profession with educational standards nearly that of a doctor and having to pass incredibly invasive psychological tests and background checks rivaling that of a CIA trainee. After a 'basic training' similar to Marine Corps then they go to Police Academy. If they pass all this then lets pay them a salary commensurate with all they went through. My point is lets RAISE the bar, and not lower it.

Implying anyone with the intelligence to pass such tests would willingly work for and enforce laws passed by malignant narcissist politicians.

Implying anyone with the intelligence to pass such tests would willingly work for and enforce laws passed by malignant narcissist politicians.
And then the controlling union thugs are sainted big-brains? not so much
If we're going to start anywhere, drug test all the government slag, not just truck drivers and the like. toe the line, heh

With the mentality of the country and after the school shootings, the guy was an idiot for pushing the envelope when people are on hair triggers already. Being within the constitution and all still can get you killed.
I agree. One can 'chest thump' himself all he wants about whats right and wrong and what you do or do not have to 'comply' with but none of this amounts to a hill of beans when you are shot because of your pride (or stupidity).

Take a look at where the 1200 block of Puget Drive is located by my count it is over 1/4 mile from the school. And they don't mention if he was walking towards or away from where the school is located. He may have not even know if there was a school in the area.

Living here in Silverton with the 9 + schools (not including preschools in churches) I'm not sure you could get more then 1/4 mile away from a school without some effort.

I missed the part where this was a "lawful arrest".

Remember that "reasonable suspicion" isn't much... it's not even "probable cause." A cop could say "based on the fact that the guy was sweating, twitching, and not even acknowledging my existence, I feared he might be about to cause harm to the public." That would likely meet "reasonable suspicion" in just about any case, 911 calls and rifle or not.

"If you follow my line of logic." I don't know if it was or not.

The bottom line is, and I'm not saying that this happened in this case, many people do not understand the simplest of things. Often, cops command, "don't move!".. and then they/the tardness decides that that's the best time to do a little dance while trying to get at that pesky itch at their crotch or somesuch.
Happens every day. save your handjive and shenanigans for elsewhere

Still no additional facts but I find it interesting that they haven't charged him with anything yet... Perhaps he wasn't doing anything illegal...

The bottom line is, and I'm not saying that this happened in this case, many people do not understand the simplest of things. Often, cops command, "don't move!".. and then they/the tardness decides that that's the best time to do a little dance while trying to get at that pesky itch at their crotch or somesuch.
Happens every day. save your handjive and shenanigans for elsewhere

Hate to break it to you, but if a cop says "don't move" and you begin dancing, you still didn't break any law.

Given the lack of details, the guy could've been shot for simply walking around his house to take out raccoons with .22 CB rounds. This is something that my dad has done in the past, either with .22CB or an air rifle. You can see my comment on this in the ST comments section - based on the scant evidence shown in the media coverage, a cop could've come up on my dad's property and shot him for about the same reasons. Since my dad often has headphones on when doing yard work, he probably would have not "responded to police commands."

Hate to break it to you, but if a cop says "don't move" and you begin dancing, you still didn't break any law.

Given the lack of details, the guy could've been shot for simply walking around his house to take out raccoons with .22 CB rounds. This is something that my dad has done in the past, either with .22CB or an air rifle. You can see my comment on this in the ST comments section - based on the scant evidence shown in the media coverage, a cop could've come up on my dad's property and shot him for about the same reasons. Since my dad often has headphones on when doing yard work, he probably would have not "responded to police commands."

And I hate to break it to you but you can be justifiably shot even when you're not breaking any laws. It's about perspective with cops, just like it is with non-cops defending themselves. Articulation is everything. Why'd you shoot? Have a good reason, one other people will say, "Oh yea, I probably would have shot too?"

Because you don't know what the cops know/think nor how they're perceiving you and the situation... it seems to me that the best thing, for self-preservation sake, when carrying a firearm openly and being yelled at by police, is to comply. I know people around here HATE feeling like they should EVER have to do ANYTHING a cop EVER tells them to do, so long as they're not obviously committing crimes, and I agree on a philosophical level, but we're talking about surviving the encounter right now.

Again... we don't have enough info to know what the case was, in this story.

I'm just going to say something here. I hear what some people are saying about not antagonizing the police when they're lawfully going about their business and not being an ***. Both of which are perfectly sensible things to do. However... and this is a BIG HOWEVER.... the point of a 2nd amendment is so that the police CAN'T do this to society as a whole because it allows people to have the tools to shoot officials that go too far. But... here's the thing... if you want to keep those rights... you sure as heck better be ready to put your life on the line to defend them.

The police have become too militarized... and that is the key. They are out of control because they aren't being trained to think... they're being trained to use violence to solve everything. I think that gun owners need to start organizing and showing up in large numbers at local government meetings and demanding that the city counsel start disarming and demilitarizing the police.

The problem here is that noone is actually DOING anything to remove weapons and militarized behavior from the police.

However the issue here is also this... if the founding fathers had taken this same attitude of "you should just do whatever the police say so they won't kill you" in their time... we'd still be a colony wouldn't we? Rights don't come cheaply. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to get them and keep them. Maybe we need to have a few innocent gun owners die for their rights...tree of liberty and all that. If you value your rights, then you're willing to die for them. If you have a few people die because of overzealous cops you'll have people flock to the cause against them or take up arms against them. I think the main reason there's not been more outcry about the government and its heavy handed tactics is that there's not been a lot of deaths. Have a few people die at the hands of police ignoring rights... and there'd be some real trouble.

And I hate to break it to you but you can be justifiably shot even when you're not breaking any laws. It's about perspective with cops, just like it is with non-cops defending themselves. Articulation is everything. Why'd you shoot? Have a good reason, one other people will say, "Oh yea, I probably would have shot too?"

Because you don't know what the cops know/think nor how they're perceiving you and the situation... it seems to me that the best thing, for self-preservation sake, when carrying a firearm openly and being yelled at by police, is to comply. I know people around here HATE feeling like they should EVER have to do ANYTHING a cop EVER tells them to do, so long as they're not obviously committing crimes, and I agree on a philosophical level, but we're talking about surviving the encounter right now.

Remind us again why those 2 old Asian ladies were shot at by the cops in Kalifornia a few months back. Why was their truck turned into a naturally vented vehicle?
What happened to those cops?
Where they charged with attempted murder or at the very least aggravated assault with a deadly weapon?
Anyone have any doubts whatsoever that a civilian would have been?

Remind us again why those 2 old Asian ladies were shot at by the cops in Kalifornia a few months back. Why was their truck turned into a naturally vented vehicle?
Is it remotely possible to ask that you stay in the context of the thread and not segue in into something not related to the thread? We are discussing the Edmonds, WA situation and nothing else.

Still no additional facts but I find it interesting that they haven't charged him with anything yet... Perhaps he wasn't doing anything illegal...
And he may NOT have been doing anything illegal - but HE is the one who is SHOT and SUFFERING - is there anything difficult to understand here? For Crying out loud HE DID NOT COMPLY and got shot! Go pitch yer bee-yotch to the Edmonds PD and tell us how that works out.

I can be justifiably shot, when not committing a crime, because of the police officer's perspective?

A "non-cop" who shoots someone who is not a direct threat to them, is probably going away to prison.

I will agree that we don't know any of the specifics in this case, but what I'm surprised by is that you and several others here still find ways to make excuses for what currently looks like a man who was shot for simply carrying a rifle. No mention if he aimed it at a cop, or even threatened the cop at all. He just apparently got shot because he didn't do what the cop told him to do - if he even heard the cop at all?

Doesn't take a very long stretch to apply this sort of logic to anyone who might be shot while open carrying.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top