Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Man Shot at Illinois Gunshow.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MA Duce, Feb 27, 2011.

1. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Saw on the news this evening that a man picked up a weapon at a gunshow booth and it discharged!!!!! The muzzle was pointed at the roof but the round hit a steel structural member and the ricochet went through a bystander's chest. The victim will recover.

WTF? My thoughts and questions. Was his finger on the trigger? Luckily he had it pointed away from people. If the action on a displayed weapon at a gunshow is closed when you pick it up, do you clear it?? I know I do, I never touch a weapon with a closed action without clearing it. How would you like to be the insurance carrier for the vendor???

2. mjn

mjn Tri-Cities, Wa Active Member

I clear EVERY SINGLE weapon I pick up. Mine.. friends... don't matter. The world is full of ignorant people.

3. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Exactly.

4. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

here all guns are made safe and locked open with plastic cable ties in every show, any gun you wish to bring in is treated the same.

5. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I learned that you clear every weapon handed to you even if you watched the person handing it to you clear it, I taught my children this fromthe first firearm they handled.

6. lowridedon

lowridedon se pdx New Member

Amen. A gun can never be cleared too often. I clear guns I've already done myself. Just got back from the range. Check them into the range bag and checked again into the safe.

7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I was at a gun shop a couple months ago and a guy was telling his story about bring a gun to that shop and working the action

And being surprised it was LOADED!!???

He hadn't cleared it,before or after he bought it and took it to the gun store.

I kinda wanted to biff him for being stupid enough to admit to this.

My 28yo son still clears every gun handed to him.

Oh and the kid at Boehners? in Gorst told me they ASSume the new Marlins that are zip tied,are unloaded.
    I told him I couldn't look at the gun then.

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

+1 It's just a good habit to get into.

9. oasis618

oasis618 Tacoma, Wa Active Member

This. Can't clear a gun that is zip tied through the action, out the muzzle and back around the top of the slide.

10. accurateone

accurateone Eastern Washington Member

Clear every weapon, keep finger off trigger, don't point at anything not willing to destroy! So, how did this Weapon get through the ZipTie stage without being cleared? What kind of weapon was it? A S/A handgun properly Zip Tied can't come to battery. A revolver properly ZipTied can't release the hammer. S/A or DAO. Was it a derringer, rifle, what?
    A1

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  11. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

It did it on it's own? Must be one of those evil posessed guns. Betcha $10 he picked it up and pulled the trigger.
    I don't like how PDX gunshows require zip ties (makes it impossible to try the trigger) but with idiots doing things like this I can see their reasoning for it.

12. Solo

Solo Portland, OR Member

Musta' been a Remington 700...

I've always believed in "an ounce of prevention." I would agree, always VERIFY. I don't fondle weapons at gun shows unless I'm seriously considering buying it.

13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

All these guys have either a set of clippers or a knife to cut the zip tie
    If they don't want to,you can walk away from the booth

14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Makes you wonder if an anti went to the show with some live ammo and loaded one so an "accident" would happen then they could try and close the show down.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
    80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    Washington Arms Collector member
    Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

15. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

I think it was a Mini-14 that was discharged as the rifle was being put back on the table. Apparently, the magazine was taken out, but there was a round in the chamber. The round went through a wooden post, through one guy's arm, and through another's chest. Not a ricochet.

I'd like to know more about the two people responsible here -- the owner (who had a loaded firearm on the table at a gunshow) and the guy who cracked off the round. What was their level of experience and training? I'm curious to know whether the lesson is, "Newbs should not handle firearms until properly trained" or "Even the well-trained sometimes screw up and put peoples' lives at risk."

16. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

17. Celtic Armory

Celtic Armory Port Orchard, WA Member

I only voted no because the WAC shows I go to all firearms (both carried and tabled) have their actions cleared and zip tied in a fashion that prevents them from having ammo in their chamber. Though I do check the ties before picking any up.

18. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

ATF investigating shooting at gun show

See this article. Interesting that the BATF is now investigating :
    I didn't know that there were FEDERAL rules against having loaded weapons at a gun show. Does anyone know what rule this is?

19. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I didn't either, here it's up to the promoter or the property lease/rental agreement, although maybe OR is different?