JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you clear teh action of weapons which are closed at a gunshow??

• Yes

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Never thought about it.

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
Reactions
Saw on the news this evening that a man picked up a weapon at a gunshow booth and it discharged!!!!! The muzzle was pointed at the roof but the round hit a steel structural member and the ricochet went through a bystander's chest. The victim will recover.

WTF? My thoughts and questions. Was his finger on the trigger? Luckily he had it pointed away from people. If the action on a displayed weapon at a gunshow is closed when you pick it up, do you clear it?? I know I do, I never touch a weapon with a closed action without clearing it. How would you like to be the insurance carrier for the vendor???

I learned that you clear every weapon handed to you even if you watched the person handing it to you clear it, I taught my children this fromthe first firearm they handled.

Amen. A gun can never be cleared too often. I clear guns I've already done myself. Just got back from the range. Check them into the range bag and checked again into the safe.

I was at a gun shop a couple months ago and a guy was telling his story about bring a gun to that shop and working the action

And being surprised it was LOADED!!???

He hadn't cleared it,before or after he bought it and took it to the gun store.

I kinda wanted to biff him for being stupid enough to admit to this.

My 28yo son still clears every gun handed to him.

Oh and the kid at Boehners? in Gorst told me they ASSume the new Marlins that are zip tied,are unloaded.
I told him I couldn't look at the gun then.

Clear every weapon, keep finger off trigger, don't point at anything not willing to destroy! So, how did this Weapon get through the ZipTie stage without being cleared? What kind of weapon was it? A S/A handgun properly Zip Tied can't come to battery. A revolver properly ZipTied can't release the hammer. S/A or DAO. Was it a derringer, rifle, what?
A1

Last Edited:
Saw on the news this evening that a man picked up a weapon at a gunshow booth and it discharged!!!!!
It did it on it's own? Must be one of those evil posessed guns. Betcha $10 he picked it up and pulled the trigger.
I don't like how PDX gunshows require zip ties (makes it impossible to try the trigger) but with idiots doing things like this I can see their reasoning for it.

Musta' been a Remington 700...

I've always believed in "an ounce of prevention." I would agree, always VERIFY. I don't fondle weapons at gun shows unless I'm seriously considering buying it.

Makes you wonder if an anti went to the show with some live ammo and loaded one so an "accident" would happen then they could try and close the show down.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

I think it was a Mini-14 that was discharged as the rifle was being put back on the table. Apparently, the magazine was taken out, but there was a round in the chamber. The round went through a wooden post, through one guy's arm, and through another's chest. Not a ricochet.

I'd like to know more about the two people responsible here -- the owner (who had a loaded firearm on the table at a gunshow) and the guy who cracked off the round. What was their level of experience and training? I'm curious to know whether the lesson is, "Newbs should not handle firearms until properly trained" or "Even the well-trained sometimes screw up and put peoples' lives at risk."

Here's a news article: <broken link removed>
Summary: Guy handling rifle, it "went off" (yeah right), shot goes through 4x6 wooden post, one guy's shoulder, hits another guy in the back and came out his chest. Guy that got shot in the back/chest is in critical but stable condition.

I only voted no because the WAC shows I go to all firearms (both carried and tabled) have their actions cleared and zip tied in a fashion that prevents them from having ammo in their chamber. Though I do check the ties before picking any up.

ATF investigating shooting at gun show

See this article. Interesting that the BATF is now investigating :
Emery said the investigation into the incident is ongoing. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is working with the sheriff's office to determine if federal rules against having loaded weapons at a gun show were violated and if so, by whom, said the sheriff.

I didn't know that there were FEDERAL rules against having loaded weapons at a gun show. Does anyone know what rule this is?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top