JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Be careful when meeting private parties to sell a firearm!

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/man-shot-while-trying-sell-phone/nh9xy/

A man was shot Tuesday after meeting to sell a gun in Federal Way, police said.

The shooting happened at a duplex at 33000 22nd Place South.

Police initially said a man met with two people at his residence to sell a phone. The two people tried to steal the phone and ran away on foot.

Police then said the man was selling a gun and not a phone.

The man then caught up with one of the suspects, a struggle ensued and the suspect shot the man. He was shot with the same gun, police said.

The victim then called 911.

Police did not release a suspect description of the suspect.

The man was cooperating with police and was taken to Harborview Medical Center to be treated for his wound.

Police are still investigating the incident.

I don't understand what false flag story means, it's not fake if that's what you meant. I saw that on kiro 7 and thought I'd share to let everyone know to be on guard when meeting up with buyers, especially from armslist or non feedback sites.

Places like craigslist are a breeding ground for activity like that. Always meet people from there in a Very heavily populated area of have someone with you that is also armed and prepared. Seems like every month someone gets robbed meeting someone off craigs list.
I have used it many times, but very cautious how I meet people there.

Yeah, anytime I'm selling anything on craigslist, I always try to meet at a store or a starbucks for normal items. For firearms, I try to meet in the parking lot of a costco or grocery store, right under a security camera, then just point it out to the buyer so they look straight at it, then proceed with transaction. Ditto, armed, and make sure you have one in the pipe!

Inviting a complete stranger to your home to sell a gun?

What could go wrong?:eek:

Glad the guy is going to be OK, but he's definitely a candidate for a darwin award. I have always used a public firing range with plenty of people around when doing private sales with someone I don't know. It's just safer for all involved.

That was my first thought too. I never bring anyone to my home unless it is a big item that cannot be transported. Then I will meet them elsewhere and evaluate them, as well as phone in their plate to a friend and the wife. Also have a neighbor watch the place and the person while transaction the business.
Craigslist has no real checks and balances or tracers per se, and it attracts all kinds of dregs.
Met a guy once over in Clackamas in front of freddies to sell a Samurai Sword that was so sharp you could get a shave walking within ten feet of it. I handed it to him and said if he wanted to take it out of the sheath to go to the front of the vehicle and I stayed at the rear with a hand in my pocket on a 45. He was a bit on the iffy side. Come to find out he was a martial arts teacher and just took on the "oriental mob" look for his classes.

Glad the guy is going to be OK, but he's definitely a candidate for a darwin award. I have always used a public firing range with plenty of people around when doing private sales with someone I don't know. It's just safer for all involved.
I almost never invite anyone to my home that I don't know personally - someone who wants to buy something? Never.

The exceptions have been motorcycles or motorcycle parts and those are generally people I meet on motorcycle forums and that has been fairly rare. I have been aware of the risk too - not so much of them coming and robbing me right then, but of them coming later when I am not home.

It is kind of stupid to rob a person at the moment of the prospective sale. Learn their home address, back out of the sale, watch until they leave, and then burglarize their residence - you will probably get a lot more guns that way.

But then criminals are fairly stupid. :rolleyes:

Private sale in my home? No way, no how. Public places, with people around. And what the heck is he doing showing them a loaded gun? And then chasing the guys that stole his LOADED gun?! Some very poor choices were made here, and he got very lucky. And the anti's just got yet another piece of crap story for their campaigns against private gun sales. Thanks a lot dumba$$!!

I once bought a rifle from a county sheriff deputy (King Co. IIRC) - he had me come to his house and he open his gun safe while I was there.

I thought that was a bit strange. Of course, his patrol car was parked in his driveway.

Just the same, someone could wait until the house was empty and then robbed it.

20+ years ago I was selling a rifle in the Little Nickel and I had a guy come to my house to look at it. He seemed like a great guy. He was at my place probably and hour. That whole time we talked guns and I showed him pretty much everything in my safe. After he left and I started putting stuff away I realized he had stolen a Sig pistol. I filed a police report and did all the required stuff. Less than two weeks later he came back, cut the power meter off the shop to kill the power and pried the entire steel door jamb out of the wall and stole the entire safe. He was eventually caught and did 5 years in the pen for it. Still I got basically nothing back and the insurance covered about 15% of what I lost.

A very expensive lesson. This was in small town Idaho where we did not lock our house doors and left the keys in the vehicles much of the time. A town of 3000 people a 120 miles away from the closest "real" town (Boise)

I never do sales/purchases at my home! Large public area, check licence plate and note the vehicle and description of the other party. If someone like a tradesman comes to the house I make sure he gets a chance to see Lilly! She's pretty menacing!
Oh, forgot. Pistol ready! Also, I stick with our classifieds. Hope the fellow recovers compleatly!

Last Edited:
You can be sure that this was not a typical good guy firearms transaction. Thieves crooks and bad guys making a deal. First it was loaded, Second obviously the "buyers" where criminals.

Guns, drugs, purebred dogs, jewelery....

Anything high dollar bought off any classifieds should be regarded as a hostile situation IMO.

Situational awareness > all, but a fast trigger finger comes in a close 2nd.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top