JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
CENTERVILLE — A man was wounded by shrapnel from a toilet when his concealed weapon accidentally went off while he was using the bathroom, police said.

It happened Tuesday at the Carl's Jr. restaurant at 385 N. 800 West. Police said the 26-year-old man had gone into the bathroom to use the toilet, armed with a .40-caliber Kahr P40 handgun. The man, who has a valid concealed weapon permit and was lawfully in possession of the gun, had it in a holster inside his pants.

"While pulling his pants up the gun fell out of the holster, striking the tile floor," Centerville Police Lt. Paul Child said Wednesday. "When the gun hit the floor, it went off, and the bullet struck the toilet, shattering it and sending sharp pieces of porcelain flying."

The man was hit by some porcelain shards, lacerating his arm. No one else was injured, but an employee of the restaurant in the next-door women's restroom heard the gunshot and panicked.

"She was shaken, she was upset and was complaining of some chest pain," Child said.

The man walked into the restaurant area, holding his wound and asked an employee to call 911. Police and paramedics responded to the call of shots fired inside the restaurant and ended up treating the man for the cuts to his arm. The woman also was treated at the scene.

Yep. BS. I dropped a cocked and locked 1911 out of a fanny pack many moons ago and it didn't go off. Learned right then and there to make sure the zipper is closed. :eek:

Whoa whoa whoa....there is big difference between a quality 1911 and a Kahr. My buddy has a small Kahr .40 and I wouldn't carry that death trap if it was all I had.

I thought Kahrs were pretty well regarded. I think this may be the first thread where people aren't singing their praises.

I also don't really buy this guys story.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your reasons for calling a Kahr .40 a "death trap".

I have dealt with two Kahr's and they were both chambered in .40. Both were the small model (don't know the model) where you can barely get your hand around it. The first one was fine enough. It only jammed once. The second one was complete poop. Stove piped a couple of times and the slide stop accuated while rounds were still in the magazine. Not the kind of gun you want to carry. I'll have to wait to be disproven on my opinion about Kahr's. However I come from a 1911 and glock family, so I expect excellence without exception from a gun. :s0155:

I have dealt with two Kahr's and they were both chambered in .40. Both were the small model (don't know the model) where you can barely get your hand around it. The first one was fine enough. It only jammed once. The second one was complete poop. Stove piped a couple of times and the slide stop accuated while rounds were still in the magazine. Not the kind of gun you want to carry. I'll have to wait to be disproven on my opinion about Kahr's. However I come from a 1911 and glock family, so I expect excellence without exception from a gun. :s0155:

Maybe it was the ammunition?

Maybe it was the ammunition?

It could have been. Some guns like certain ammunition and it is possible it just didn't like what we were feeding it. However, he did say that this happens every so often and that is just something he'll have to accept as a part of this gun. For me, a gun is carry proven when I could feed it anything and it'll chew right threw it.

I suspect he was stoned.
We all know the old Confucious saying....He who stands on toilet is high on pot. I had to say it....:eek:

It could have been. Some guns like certain ammunition and it is possible it just didn't like what we were feeding it. However, he did say that this happens every so often and that is just something he'll have to accept as a part of this gun. For me, a gun is carry proven when I could feed it anything and it'll chew right threw it.

I would say that your friend has a damaged Kahr PM40, and should be sent in for repair. I carry a PM9 or CW.45 daily because I know that they will fire when needed, as they have for me at the range with hundreds of rounds of mixed ammo in the past with out a single FTF. You really shouldn't be brand bashing here unless you know what you are talking about. The only time that you could consider a Kahr to be a death trap, is if you were on the wrong end of it.

I would say that your friend has a damaged Kahr PM40, and should be sent in for repair. I carry a PM9 or CW.45 daily because I know that they will fire when needed, as they have for me at the range with hundreds of rounds of mixed ammo in the past with out a single FTF. You really shouldn't be brand bashing here unless you know what you are talking about. The only time that you could consider a Kahr to be a death trap, is if you were on the wrong end of it.

Usually the failure you're describing is what happens when the slide release lever is improperly installed by the user. The little spring needs to be on top of the slide stop. I'll bet it's below and causing problems.

Geeze swoop, have a lot of cash invested in Kahr's? Sound a little overly defensive.......:huh:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top