JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can you say Waterboy????

Man taken to hospital after shooting self in knee

February 5, 2009

A Salem man was taken to the hospital this afternoon after he shot himself in the knee with a pistol, officials said.

Matthew Maceira, 29, was cleaning the 40 caliber semi-automatic handgun in his home in the 4200 block of Nina Ave SE at about 2:30 p.m., Salem police Cpl. Larrey Owens said.

Maceira had not removed the weapon's magazine, and the gun fired and hit his left knee, Owens said. Police think the shooting was accidental.

Maceira was wearing a brace on his knee at the time of the shooting, Owens said. His two children, who arrived home from school soon after the incident, remain in the care of family while Maceira is being treated at Salem Hospital.

No one else was injured.

It's scary how absent minded some individuals are with their firearms! At least he wasn't showing his children how to properly handle and clean a firearm. My daughter loves to watch and help me wipe down the guns when I'm cleaning them. It's always a great opportunity to talk to her about firearms.

A friend of mine was attending the FBI firearms course at Quantico when one student arrived late for the classroom session.
The instructor asked if the student's pistol was unloaded and was advised, no it wasn't.
"Go outside and empty your weapon, then." The student left the classroom.

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM.

They all went outside to see what was going on. There was the student, with his gun's slide locked back and brass all around him on the sidewalk.

True story. End of course for that applicant.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads