Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Man shoots down drone hovering over house

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by edslhead, Jul 31, 2015.

1. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Merideth, 47, lives in Hillview, Kentucky. As WDRB-TV reports, a neighbor heard gunshots and called the police. Merideth allegedly told the police that a drone was hovering over his house, where his teen daughter (he has two) was sunbathing. So he pulled out his gun and gave it a merry death.

The drone's owner, police say, said he was flying it to take pictures of a neighboring house.

However, Merideth told WRDB: "Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor's house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they've got under their back yard. I went and got my shotgun and I said, 'I'm not going to do anything unless it's directly over my property.'"

And then it allegedly was.

Merideth explained: "I didn't shoot across the road, I didn't shoot across my neighbor's fences, I shot directly into the air."

He says that shortly after the shooting, he received a visit from four men who claimed to be responsible for the drone and explaining that it cost $1,800.

Merideth says he stood his ground: "I had my 40 mm Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, 'If you cross my sidewalk, there's gonna be another shooting.'"

There appears not to have been another shooting. However, Merideth was arrested for wanton endangerment and criminal mischief. There is, apparently, a local ordinance that says you can't shoot a gun off in the city.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/man-shoots-down-drone-hovering-000032027.html

45alive likes this.
  2. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

:s0012:10ft off the ground he could have used a stick and had a lot more fun beating it.

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

This stuff is happening more and more. If I had one in my back yard with my kid sunbathing - id probably have done something stupid like sending some bird shot up after it. May be illegal but its a hellofa lot safer then using a "legal" arrow shot out of a compound bow in the middle of the 'burbs...

ConcreteJungle and hker71 like this.
  4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Sounds like we'll need our own attack drones that'll ropeadope it or something with a sacrificial weighted string or something. oops!

5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Drone Wars! Coming soon to a neighborhood near you...

6. Swshield9mm

Swshield9mm Oregon Member

Didnt some one post a video of a drone firing a hand gun last week? I think joe is on to something lmao :D

Joe13 likes this.
  7. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Taking pictures of my daughters? Your damn right Id shoot it down too.

He should sue the two men.. There is a reason these things need to be thwarted at times. Im all about freedom and the use of new technology but come on, a shotgun blast in the air that hit its intended target with NO wounded.. Just a destroyed perv drone? Where is the harm?

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a powerful, built in anti drone weapon!

Well........powerful anti camera weapon! I'll just strip and step out!:p

Loptr, 45alive, Stomper and 9 others like this.
  9. Joe13

Hahaha!

Just showed this story to the wife and she said I had better shoot the dang thing out of the sky as well if out daughters in the backyard and its hovering our property being pervy.

10. Swshield9mm

Swshield9mm Oregon Member

11. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

I used to have a single shot multi-pump pellet/BB gun that I'd load a pellet into the usual way and then put 5 BB's down the barrel as well. With 5 or more pumps it worked great out to maybe 15 yards on rattlers...and it was quiet.

Anyone here into reloading shells? Maybe experiment with some 12 or 20g. shells packed with streamers/pieces of fishing line and airsoft pellets (like big party poppers).

hker71, clearconscience and edslhead like this.
  12. edslhead

I was thinking pellet gun also. Quiet and probably would disable the thing. Smelt net or slingshot might take it out too. If I lived out in the county definitely a shotgun.

ConcreteJungle and hker71 like this.
  13. Joe13

In my area, any projectile propelled by any propellent is considered to be a discharge of a firearm in a populated area. Paintball guns, airsoft, BB all fall under that rule here (as far as I know..).

Arrows apparently do not apply nor would I guess bolts from a crossbow but then I'm sure there is some sort of gross negligence endangering the lives of others rule that would apply

14. edslhead

Bass fishin rod with a bait caster loaded with Tuff Line would do the trick.

15. oknow

For loading a shotgun shell with fishing line and such you could do that by hand. Primer only no powder

FortRock and Caveman Jim like this.
  16. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Smart guy would figure a way to fly a target off of the drone to teach people shooting on the fly. Be better than clays cause you could check your pattern.:D

Caveman Jim likes this.
  17. Joe13

Slingshot loaded with that ball linked stuff they use for lamp cord pulls - the metal ones they use for dog tags.

FortRock and Caveman Jim like this.
  18. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

a "droniata"

Flopsweat, oknow and Joe13 like this.
  19. oknow

Done did that. Long string with political sign board with target stapled to it then a weight below that. We used that for pistol practice. Great moving target.

Just Jim likes this.
  20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Or your own drone follows drone home. Punch owner in mouth. lol