JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It sounds like the domestic disturbance wasn't even necessarily at the shooter's house. In that case the cop should have left and came back with a warrant for the right place or go around to the right place. Just said he ended up at the back of Hitcho's house. Need more details but cops are going to win in court 90% of the time.

Brutus Out

Well this cop was the 10% that didn't win in court.....But he did manage to do something, where others have failed. He got to be judged by 12 (gauge) and carried by 6.

Well this cop was the 10% that didn't win in court.....But he did manage to do something, where others have failed. He got to be judged by 12 (gauge) and carried by 6.

Yes, but the property owner got life for defending his dog and his property, so, the cops lost the battle and won the war. This one is on the Chief of Police for telling his officer to shoot the dog. He'll have to live with it now.

Brutus Out

Yes, but the property owner got life for defending his dog and his property, so, the cops lost the battle and won the war. This one is on the Chief of Police for telling his officer to shoot the dog. He'll have to live with it now.

Brutus Out

Yes true but this mindset by their superiors reminds me of that king in Braveheart. Something along the lines of "King Longshanks next orders the archers to fire. When one of his men points out the arrows will kill English soldiers as well, he doesn't care: "Yes... but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves. Attack. Send word of our victory"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYFGRD1T9wQ

I can't wrap my mind around the justification and support that a shotgun blast to the back of the head is getting from some here. Could the situation been handled better? Likely. But to call this a good shoot is deplorable.

Agreed. But on the other side of the coin, how is a police dog's life equal to my life? Big double standard.

edit:
By the same logic, a police officers life must be infinitely more valuable than the life of an average citizen, and the life of a family pet is like a cockroach, hence the policy of shooting a dog as a matter of policy. Now you know why many of us see cops as thugs.

I can't wrap my mind around the justification and support that a shotgun blast to the back of the head is getting from some here. Could the situation been handled better? Likely. But to call this a good shoot is deplorable.

No kidding. I'm about as conservative leaning hard toward libertarian as they come (and responding to Kevatc!?!?! :)) but all the LEO bashing that goes on here makes me sick. Don't you guys realize you sound just like the hysterical Seattle soccer Swinger club moms who paint all guns owners with the same broad brush? Grow up

Had the citizen submitted to authority, civil lawsuit could have been initiated later.
Law is big on "reasonable and prudent" as well as "authority having jurisdiction"
The judge cares not what we THINK is proper.

Carry an Oregon issued CCL? We should know much more better than "the thundering herd".
Act as though at any time or place you will be asked to give account for your actions.

Refresher:
POSSESSION AND USE OF WEAPONS
<broken link removed>
[FONT=&quot]166.180 Negligently wounding another[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]166.190 Pointing firearm at another; courts having jurisdiction over offense[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]166.210 Definitions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]166.220 Unlawful use of weapon[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms[/FONT]
166.279 Forfeiture of deadly weapons
[FONT=&quot]166.293 Denial or revocation of license; review[/FONT]
166.300 Killing or injuring another with firearm as cause for loss of right to bear arms

BTW, anyone recall the most dangerous call a law officer can get?
Domestic dispute.

Something tells me you're right.

Regardless, nobody won here. Everyone emerges a loser in this... Especially the children.
Tragic event that should have never happened.

Actually I read most of the comments in a couple of dif storys & there was a winner,
The neighbor, and he was the caller of the police as well. He had been harassing this
man also and for some time. Misplaced agression seems likely

Had the citizen submitted to authority

That's the thing, that police officer had no authority. Authority is perceived. It is nothing more. It's a persona much like an ego. You can live up to it or die trying. The cop got the latter. Its best not to take on such a stupid and divisive persona. In retrospect the homeowner was the authority to that police officer. And the court system is acting as the authority to that homeowner now. Whoever has the biggest stick in the room, is the authority & no matter how much respect you have for those that have a self thought perception of themselves, as 'Being The Authority', well sometimes those with the biggest stick in the room, definitely need to get their *** kicked a time or two. Its always been that way & it always will be..... Submitting and letting someone take away your freedom until they deem it ok for you to have that freedom back (after court), isn't freedom, you're being coerced by the pressure of what will happen to you if you don't submit, therefore you can not freely give up anything. You're being forced & probably confused, which is the way they like it. Anyways whatever you get back after you pass their 'requirements' in court, certainly isn't freedom. This man obviously experienced the straw that broke the camel's back after repeated harassment from the neighbor via the police. Unfortunately for that police officer he got the exact same sentence the homeowner got, but carried out much sooner.

Court battles have already been fought, the man would have recieved nothing in compensation for the killing of his dog had he done nothing. Possibly not even an apology from the department.

The issue is, did the police have a right and authority to be on the homeowner's property? And what conveys that authority to them?

With no warrant and no probably cause, it is my understanding that they should have left the property when instructed by the homeowner. In which case they were trespassing by not leaving, and threatening to kill the man's pet when they should be leaving the property.

But the key is a different report I read where they had already tased the dog, and then the officer pointed his gun at the homeowner. That is assault, and he had reason to believe he would be shot. So if the answer to my first questions is they had no authority to be there, then the homeowner was justified.

I don't think it was worth it in this case, and he may pay the price himself, but it is possible he is technically legally justified... even if the judge/jury didn't see it that way. Let's see how the appeals process works out. The system does seem to be rigged to protect those working for the system.

If I hear "shoot the dogs" and see someone draw a pistol shaped object from a holster on their belt, I'm not going to wait for a trigger pull to find out if it's a stun gun or not. Neither would any officer worth a damn.
I understand. If it were me, and had I been in the position, I it have required a lot of self control not to shoot the SOB myself. But the cop's actions still does not make it right to get shot & killed. Perhaps, I am being naive, but, I stun guns are not lethal to dogs, or are they?

I guess therein lies the difference. There are many human beings that don't deserve to live, despite their genus. Being a homo sapien doesn't automatically make you superior or above retribution in my eyes.
Well, that's were we clearly disagree. We have very different world views. That will keep us at opposite sides of the fence, and that's fine. I respect yours.

George Hitcho Jr. trial in shooting of Freemansburg cop begins - Morning Call

Still a good shoot Redcap? I don't think your hero's neighbors would agree.
Yeah, your regular "model citizen"! pfffs!

The issue here for me is the increasing overall arrogance of many departments, and the miitarization of what is supposed to be "civilian peace officers"..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top