JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Man Robbed In Tigard Shopping Center Parking Lot

A 22-year-old Tualatin man called 9-1-1 and reported he was robbed by gunpoint. The victim told police the incident occurred just after he exited his parked vehicle. The robbery reportedly happened in the parking lot of a Tigard shopping center located at 13500 SW Pacific Highway just after 8:00 pm on Sunday evening, March 27th. Once notified, Tigard Police Officers checked the location for witnesses and evidence.

According to the victim, two suspects approached him from behind as he headed away from his car. The first suspect, described as white or Hispanic, demanded the victim's wallet. The suspect was further described as having a light complexion and wearing a black hooded sweatshirt at the time. His age is unknown. The victim recalled seeing a colored heart tattoo with an arrow on the suspect's right forearm. During the ordeal the second suspect, described as an adult white male, heavy set and approximately 5'9" tall, struck the victim on the head with the handgun he was carrying. The victim did not require medical treatment for any injuries.

Police reports indicate the suspects emptied the victim's wallet of its contents and threw it to the ground as the pair ran to a nearby vehicle. The suspect vehicle is described as a green, mid-90s Honda Civic. The suspect vehicle was being driven by a third suspect. The victim was not able to obtain the license plate.

Tigard Police is asking anyone with information surrounding the incident to contact 503-639-6168.

I don't know if there's any more detail on any of the newspaper websites. I got this by dint of being signed up for City of Tigard Police Media Releases emails.

The location was the shopping center w/ Bi-Mart and Gun Broker in Tigard, in the SW Portland 'burbs.

So what can a fella really do in a situation like this 'cept hold still while they pistol-whip you and hope they stop there? If you CC, and picturing the set-up anyway you want from the available information, what would you do?

Why didn't the bad guys jump someone just leaving an ATM?

MrB+

What can you do? Change trajectory once or twice depending on the gap and if they change to follow me, I will draw first. Been there, done that

If they draw there will be no warning excepting some loud noises

My wife shops at the H Mart next to that Bi-Mart all the time. I generally make a point of going along when she shops after dark, being the well-trained hubby that I am. The trouble is that she feels "safe" with me, so I generally can't convince her to CCW unless she's alone.

Now picture that scene: two of them, two of us, and we BOTH draw down on them. Oregon's a risky place to be a stickup artist! Plus this happened right next to The Gun Broker, which seems like an especially poor choice of parking lots to me.

I don't have a CCW so I don't know much about the various laws etc but I was thinking about this specific scenario the other day. If you were standing at the trunk of your car and someone came up to you and put a knife (or what they told you was a knife) to your back and said "give me your wallet or I will stab you" would you be able to turn around and shoot him legally in self defense? I had a friend who had this happen to him a couple of years ago and I have always been curious.

My wife shops at the H Mart next to that Bi-Mart all the time. I generally make a point of going along when she shops after dark, being the well-trained hubby that I am. The trouble is that she feels "safe" with me, so I generally can't convince her to CCW unless she's alone.

Now picture that scene: two of them, two of us, and we BOTH draw down on them. Oregon's a risky place to be a stickup artist! Plus this happened right next to The Gun Broker, which seems like an especially poor choice of parking lots to me.

My wife currently packs a S & W M65 .357 with full power loads and is quite proficient with it..including reloading. Any pack that tries us together is going to get shot up, one way or the other

You still may get cut.. I teach JKD

I've had my share of scraps in this life and I can tell you the best mind-set in an impending knife fight is to realise there will be a winner, a loser, and you're both going to be bleeding by the time it's over. Oh, and a high block of the opponent's striking knife arm with a reciprocal stab to the arm pit will end the fight in moments.

I have my chl, I'm not trained specificaly to handle self defense senarios or anything...with that said I would think a person could try to move around alot while going for your gun. its not easy to hit a moving target and most robbers don't intend to shoot you for not cooperating but you never know I guess. If there is room to manuever side to side, grab your gun and shoot then go for it. If not, then take the pistol whip?

My questions is this: You take the pistol whip to the head and they flee to their car, it hurt but your not knocked out. Can you go for your pistol and fire on them while they are fleeing to the car with your money? I would doubt it's legal but I think its good question.

that sure is unsettling. things here, in and around portland has gotten so bad. seams like every day there is something in the news about robberies or stupid gang shootings. i dont remember it being THIS bad when i was a kid.

stay vigilant and watch out for eachother

Nope, there's no longer a direct threat to you, that's not a good shoot situation. If they walked away and started to come back then perhaps, yes.

That's when you yell out "Hey you jackasses forgot my gold watch".. When they come back to get it, they are once again a direct threat and bang bang baby..... :shooting:

I have my chl, I'm not trained specificaly to handle self defense senarios or anything...with that said I would think a person could try to move around alot while going for your gun. its not easy to hit a moving target and most robbers don't intend to shoot you for not cooperating but you never know I guess. If there is room to manuever side to side, grab your gun and shoot then go for it. If not, then take the pistol whip?

My questions is this: You take the pistol whip to the head and they flee to their car, it hurt but your not knocked out. Can you go for your pistol and fire on them while they are fleeing to the car with your money? I would doubt it's legal but I think its good question.

Now let's add in an additional aspect.. you getting beat up, stabbed or shot is one thing.. what if you are with your mom, wife and or children? I would hope that if nothing else would make you fight back hard, that would

For me I am my wife's bodyguard, and even if I am alone I still need to get back home in order to continue to perform this function. I take any attempt to harm me or mine very seriously and I will use all legal force to prevent it. Note that two attackers, even unarmed give you the legal right to shoot.. it's legally called disparity of force or in JKD we call it mass attack. Same if you are weak, elderly, etc and a lone strong thug attacks you

that sure is unsettling. things here, in and around portland has gotten so bad. seams like every day there is something in the news about robberies or stupid gang shootings. i dont remember it being THIS bad when i was a kid.

stay vigilant and watch out for eachother

It wasn't that bad years ago... anywhere. The USA has been invaded by the third world, bringing third world violence, and nasty drugs like meth have also taken their toll. Even hiding in the suburbs or small rural towns won't guarantee your safety these days

that sure is unsettling. things here, in and around portland has gotten so bad...r

City of Tigard > Tigard Mapping Services

Almost information-overload. Don't know if other places do anything like this, but for City of Tigard, go to this link and hit 'Neighborhood Crime Spotter.' It doesn't always seem to load right, so be a little patient and/or try re-loading. Brings up a map of the city, with categories of crimes on the left side. Don't miss the 'Other Crimes' button at the bottom-left.

The other, simple 'Crime Spotter' has worked in the past for me but didn't seem to wanna play today. That one, given an address or intersection would bring up everything within a certain radius, with links to detailed info on each crime.

MrB+

Wife asked me, why didn't she hear about this on the news? My first answer was that, well, they've got to cover Japan and Libya, and the rest of what went on in Portland, plus the weather and sports. Some days they just don't get to touch on every thing in our little corner of the world.

The actual answer, or at least a strong, supporting reason occurred to me a little while ago: No victims or culprits to interview, no chalk outlines, no puddles of blood. No pictures.

MrB+

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top