JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i watched the video again and he says they waited until the morning to find the bear because its dangerouse to track bears in the dark. Not something I would have not thought of, headlamps are much more affordable than go-pros... I cant imagine some of the meat didnt spoil.

I am impressed with the spearmanship and the spear design. Id like to know if he made the spear or purchased it... I cant imagine he made the blade so, probably purchased. The video shows the blade portion achived full penetration... impressive, wickedly impressive.

It looks like a standard Cold Steel offering. I didn't click. I didn't want to see. No law against that. Even with a middling aminal, it's sometimes well advised to wait a bit with the following.

Even with a middling aminal, it's sometimes well advised to wait a bit with the following.

true, but not overnight... meat can spoil. Its one thing if you cant find the animal but its goes against the reason to hunt to allow meat to spoil cause you werent feeling like staying up all night. Ask any hunter here what theyve gone thru to pack out a kill in the evening time. Last year I was up till midnight in a coastal monsoon packing elk out....

the guy said he didnt have backup, but when they tracked the bear the next morning one of his friends has a rifle.

maybe give the bear 30 minutes to pass peacefully for safety and then track him, but they should have tracked him right away.

I am not going to watch the video, although a bit curious I suppose.

Maybe today while the ladies are out of the house.

I've heard bear meat is good but it sounds like he possibly messed up a great potential bear skin rug...:(.

At the price I have seen for some 2nd hand, it probably would have paid for most of his trip.

It looks like a standard Cold Steel offering.

I think your right CS95ESa.jpg

Cold Steel 95ES Assegai Spear with Long Shaft 6 ft. 9 in. Overall, Secure-Ex Sheath

Ray

Hunting over bait isn't hunting and leaving the animal until the next day is wrong. Did he gut it and bag the meat maybe, or just walk away. I don't mind his using a spear, but the rest of the story is in bad taste.
Clearly you've never baited bears. Its a lot of hard work, and there is nothing guaranteeing you will even see a bear let alone kill one. Many people shoot animals with a bow, then leave them to bleed out. if its evening, don't push the animal, come back the next morning when they have died in place with a short tracking job. My .02

Many people shoot animals with a bow, then leave them to bleed out. if its evening, don't push the animal, come back the next morning when they have died in place with a short tracking job. My .02

I dont know if bowhunters leave them overnight though. However one hunts... leaving an animal overnight without gutting and skinning it in our climate your going to spoil some meat...

Clearly you've never baited bears. Its a lot of hard work, and there is nothing guaranteeing you will even see a bear let alone kill one. Many people shoot animals with a bow, then leave them to bleed out. if its evening, don't push the animal, come back the next morning when they have died in place with a short tracking job. My .02
Hunting methods are subjective and have a lot to do with how you were raised and taught. When I was very young I followed old men and hounds at night chasing coons, and we treed a Bear now and then during the day. I have killed Bear during the day, but never had any jelly donuts with me, that's all.

I watched the video. And I've hunted in the past. For some reason, I don't find excitement or enjoyment like he did in killing. And bear meat is definitely an acquired taste, so I doubt he was doing it to feed his family. I more tend to think he was doing it to film it and brag about the fact that nobody else has done it "without a blind". Sorry, video cameras haven't been around long enough to film when spear hunting was just a way to survive. He didn't do something that had never been done before, he just has the technology to film it and brag about it.

Pretty ballsy IMO, going after a bear with a pointy stick isn't something I'd want to attempt anytime soon.

Whats he going to do for an encore, maybe go after a bunch of Hells Angels with a spork or charge a machine gun nest with a butter knife?

I watched the video. And I've hunted in the past. For some reason, I don't find excitement or enjoyment like he did in killing. And bear meat is definitely an acquired taste, so I doubt he was doing it to feed his family. I more tend to think he was doing it to film it and brag about the fact that nobody else has done it "without a blind". Sorry, video cameras haven't been around long enough to film when spear hunting was just a way to survive. He didn't do something that had never been done before, he just has the technology to film it and brag about it.
I fixed a large Fall Bear roast one time when we had a crowd over and everyone loved it, even after I told them what it was. No gamey taste at all and I didn't try to mask the flavor with spices.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top