JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is an OLD link from Jul '15 but it did work for me. Maybe if you did a search(Google) on the Internet it might show up. It was posted of the Springfield XD Forum. I went back and Registered and then it wouldn't let the link work. Very strange. Sorry about that.:(
:(:(

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court

this seems like what your story was though.

They never let him board with the firearm. stories all over about people flying into NY or NJ and being arrested when they try to leave with a firearm as the airline agent checking your bags informs TSA and then you get arrested for felony possession of an unlicensed firearm (in that state) as NJ and NY require gun owners to have a state issued license from their state to possess a firearm within their borders...

Mr. Smith; I want to thank you for finding the right article. I looked at several different ways of finding it but simply didn't. Because of health issues I'm not able to spend large amounts of time working on a computer. That's why my posts are shown as coming from my phone.
Thanks again.:):):)

Published January 18, 2011
Last Update December 23, 2015

Another reason for national reciprocity.
NJ Airports near NYC are run by the Port as such follow NYC Gun Laws.

You can fly in, claim your gun. You are good to go so long as when you leave the property you obey NJ laws - example no expanding / defensive bullets.

The problem is when you leave. You check your gun, as you would at SeaTac or PDX, then the agent reports you to the airport police, who now have you, thru signed paperwork and camera footage, committing a felony.

In most cases NJ has kept the gun, offered a plea deal - pay a fine and get a misdemeanor charge (not felony) and you agree to not darken their state in a bad way again. People will take that deal, given the alternative.

Where else could that happen? CA?

In most cases NJ has kept the gun, offered a plea deal - pay a fine and get a misdemeanor charge (not felony) and you agree to not darken their state in a bad way again. People will take that deal, given the alternative.
If you read the second article, you will see that that is just what happened to that guy. Now he's even gone as far as taking the case to the Supreme Court asking if he can sue the police because they haven't returned his firearm.

If you read the second article, you will see that that is just what happened to that guy. Now he's even gone as far as taking the case to the Supreme Court asking if he can sue the police because they haven't returned his firearm.

It is probably sitting right next to the ones confiscated during the aftermath of Katrina.

I agree but even driving can be a real problem. It shouldn't be but it is.
Agreed, but at least I have more control, and am not "in the system" as much when driving. A polite smile and good attitude has kept my 5/5 record of never being searched.

I have family in VA and as such have the occasion to fly into Dulles once or twice a year. Getting Diverted to NY, Baltimore, NJ, or into DC itself has always been a big concern.
This year I'll be sending a "spare" CCP ahead of time to just keep there at my Dad's place for when I visit.

Sounds like a very good idea to me. Just make sure whoever meets you at the airport brings your gun with them. Just driving from the airport can be dangerous.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top