JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Off duty cop should be treated like any private citizen. They aren't exempt
Who suggested he's not? And cops are authorized to be cops on the clock or not. Based on the video I think the cop can articulate a reasonable fear that the people being drawn on by the victim were in danger, hence he was prompted to act with lethal force. My guess is this will go down as a justified shooting based on the facts thus far.

I am all about looking out andng crime in my 'hood, but I know that using a firearm in many circumstances like that, the odds are not in my favor (especially in this current legal climate).

On that note, I've followed a shop lifter, discretely. I was in the parking lot of a store, about to shop, and saw a short scuffle with what looked like a guy trying to steal a woman's backpack. Bystanders did nothing but stare as he walked away. I decided to follow him from a distance, and watched as he shed his sweatshirt, and then hid in a quickie mart down the block. I was on the phone with dispatch the whole time giving them status updates, up until then time police made contact (and an arrest). I never got near the guy or let him see me.

Officer shook my hand and said, "couldn't have done it without you." Turns out the woman who tried to stop the guy at entrance of the store was a loss prevention employee, and there's not much they can do (legally) once the thief is out of the building. I know they roll the cost of shoplifting into the price consumers pay, and was hoping to help mitigate that... plus, less one peice of trash roaming around is better for myself and family.

-Robert
I'm surprised you actually got a PD response. It would be a miracle in Portland proper.
The stores won't let their employees take effective action anymore because of lawsuits. Checker tries to stop crook, crook falls down and says ouch and gets shiester attorney who has shiester Doctor on standby. Attorney wins the jackpot if the crook is a minority. Store corporate pays through the nose to settle.

Last Edited:
There are a lot of details missing in the video, but no state that I'm aware of allows you to hold shoplifters at gunpoint. I suspect there's more to this story and the cops are only releasing the bare minimum as there's an ongoing investigation.
This is one of the RARE times when the news is sharing enough for me to not worry they are trying to paint this a certain way at least. Could VERY well be more to it but, the outside camera's show the shooter go after these people from the place they supposedly stole, to where he shot them. Now it would NOT surprise me in the least if this was not some "good guy" trying to stop some "do bads" and the media is hiding something. Just as written, taken as being "real", makes a good lesson to those who choose to carry. Don't try to be a Cop because you have a gun.
I have been carrying for over 4 decades. The state I grew up in was WAY ahead of most of the US on CC. We had what amounted to shall issue, even though it was not written as shall issue for decades, since before I was old enough to buy a gun. Since I started playing on the net I have heard an over the top number of people claim they were just waiting for their chance to "play Cop" since they could legally carry. It has always had me shaking my head that so many even said they wanted to do this. So I hope maybe some who think that way will maybe read stuff like this and maybe stop before they pull some stunt like this? :eek:

This is one of the RARE times when the news is sharing enough for me to not worry they are trying to paint this a certain way at least. Could VERY well be more to it but, the outside camera's show the shooter go after these people from the place they supposedly stole, to where he shot them. Now it would NOT surprise me in the least if this was not some "good guy" trying to stop some "do bads" and the media is hiding something. Just as written, taken as being "real", makes a good lesson to those who choose to carry. Don't try to be a Cop because you have a gun.
I have been carrying for over 4 decades. The state I grew up in was WAY ahead of most of the US on CC. We had what amounted to shall issue, even though it was not written as shall issue for decades, since before I was old enough to buy a gun. Since I started playing on the net I have heard an over the top number of people claim they were just waiting for their chance to "play Cop" since they could legally carry. It has always had me shaking my head that so many even said they wanted to do this. So I hope maybe some who think that way will maybe read stuff like this and maybe stop before they pull some stunt like this? :eek:
Well, this isn't "the news." It is a direct video from Phoenix PD. I want to know what happened before the body cam was switched on, ie, how did we arrive at the scene of a guy holding two or more people at gunpoint? What did witnesses say? Was there a threat from the alleged shoplifters? Was the victim connected in any way to the store? Or was he just being a vigilante? Lots of questions remain to be answered. But in the end we have a noncompliant armed citizen shot by a LEO. Hence, will probably go down as a justified shooting. And a really good object lesson for all of us who choose to carry.

Sadly I have seen this happen more times than I can remember here. A CPL has always been super easy to get here. This sadly has lead to some amazing cases of over the top poor judgment. The worst part is the media just loves it when they can run with it. :(
I wonder how many of these instances involve new gun owners? Or maybe it's just how everyone is so quick to anger nowadays? Or maybe general anxiety? Just thinking out loud, not making any particular point.

I wonder how many of these instances involve new gun owners owners? Or maybe it's just how everyone is so quick to anger nowadays.
No idea but, I have lost track of the people who "claimed" they were chomping at the bit to do something just like this. Many of them are probably keyboard cowboys but, if even 10% really want to do this? Sooner or later some of them will have a chance. Odds are VERY good they will end up wishing they had not played Cop when its all over. Little late then of course

I have heard an over the top number of people claim they were just waiting for their chance to "play Cop"

So I hope maybe some who think that way will maybe read stuff like this and maybe stop before they pull some stunt like this?
One would hope so but after reading some of the posts on another forum I previously mentioned (where I got called a coward) I doubt if they read/see stuff like this it will change anything.

Like I previously said however there were several who seemed to be using religion to justify above and beyond actions if they were in a crime/shooting situation.

Since Brookins, the "good guy" with a gun, had no right to detain the shoplifters in the first place, what the officer came upon was a kidnapping in progress with an armed kidnapper. His response was appropriate. Sorry for all involved, but the officer did nothing wrong.
What if they stole the last pack a Slim Jims?!!!

No idea but, I have lost track of the people who "claimed" they were chomping at the bit to do something just like this. Many of them are probably keyboard cowboys but, if even 10% really want to do this? Sooner or later some of them will have a chance. Odds are VERY good they will end up wishing they had not played Cop when its all over. Little late then of course
I hear what u are saying. That kind of goes along with the "I'm fed up up"/quick to anger thing. I think the "quick to anger" thing is largely fueled by social media etc that tries to get us to have an emotional response to everything. If we are bombarded with having a knee jerk emotional response all day everyday we are more likely to jump to that kind of reaction in the real world. Just my theory.

I sadly remember the rheinhole murderer in Portland who shot someone in cold blood. Weeks before he killed someone he said, " I'm tired of this sh!t, I need a peice". Also there are photos of him "stalking" pickup trucks with American flag in the Portland rally which I think was about a week or two before if I remember correctly (I have the pics somewhere). In those pics he was reaching into his pack like he was ready to draw (but no pics show the actual gun so it's just speculation on my -and others- part). So it goes both ways I guess, the social media, MSM polarizes poeple into its "us" against "them" whether it's right or left views. But America has always had differing views and always will. It just seems now the polarization is just pushed like mad all the time and poeple are quick to anger, quick to react against "them".

And Covid isolation makes it even worse I think. It seems to me most all of the mass shooters of years past were isolated poeple and the more we are isolated the less likely we are to work with others, listen to their point of view, be reasonable etc. Sadly I don't have a solution, just speculating on what I think I'm seeing in society.

I hear what u are saying. That kind of goes along with the "I'm fed up up"/quick to anger thing. I think the "quick to anger" thing is largely fueled by social media etc that tries to get us to have an emotional response to everything. If we are bombarded with having a knee jerk emotional response all day everyday we are more likely to jump to that kind of reaction in the real world. Just my theory.
I have been saying for a good while that the push to let all crime be ignored is going to lead to a lot of this. The story here about the guy who killed the scum who was stealing hit CAT while he was sleeping in the vehicle as an example. Many are at the breaking point with crime. This is going to push a few to just shoot someone. :(

I must be on the right forums because I haven't seen much of this wannabe hero talk anywhere. Haven't heard it from anyone I know or anyone I've met. Last I looked at the stats, CPL holders are one of the most law-abiding demographics in the U.S.

Sadly I have seen this happen more times than I can remember here. A CPL has always been super easy to get here. This sadly has lead to some amazing cases of over the top poor judgment. The worst part is the media just loves it when they can run with it. :(
This is why it is critical to get proper training, whether the government requires it or not. By training I mean knowing when NOT to pull your roscoe, which is about 99.99% of the time.

No idea but, I have lost track of the people who "claimed" they were chomping at the bit to do something just like this.
Yeah, it's good IMO to wargame this sort of thing out in your head periodically and have your general options thought out. In this case it's simple for me; try to stay out of the way. Even if there are shots coming my way, my first priority is to the ongoing safety and wellbeing of my family. That means first make sure they are out of danger, and then do whatever it takes to get safe myself.

If that means venting someone, fine, but I expect that it's much more likely to involve getting out right with them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top