JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any reference to Justice that includes an adjective is no Justice at all. There are no flavors or shades to Justice. Justice either is or isn't. What they're really saying when they want their version of "justice" is that they want an outcome that matches their narrative. It doesn't work that way. Sometimes what's just doesn't feel fair. People are going to feel let down on both sides from time to time. It helps us hold ourselves to a higher standard than we otherwise would.
Yea … kinda … okay not really. What you term "justice" in your head is what could be called punitive justice, or the seeking of a just outcome through the use of punishment.

As a society, we collectively agree on the idea of a crime, the criteria needed to be guilty of such, and the repercussions that should follow. Some people have a hard on for punishment. Others have different ideas on what will lead to behavioral change and how to get there and, as a result, an improved society.

For example, offering GED courses or Associate Degree classes, detox, and mental health services to prisoners while they are in the system are all restorative justice techniques, as opposed to punitive justice like solitary confinement or hard labor.

Whether you think the philosophy of restorative justice has any merit or not is up to you - but it's definitely a real thing striving for the same thing punitive justice does: a change in behavior leading to lesser recidivism and societal betterment by turning an individual societal leach into a contributing member.

Yea … kinda … okay not really. What you term "justice" in your head is what could be called punitive justice, or the seeking of a just outcome through the use of punishment.

As a society, we collectively agree on the idea of a crime, the criteria needed to be guilty of such, and the repercussions that should follow. Some people have a hard on for punishment. Others have different ideas on what will lead to behavioral change and how to get there and, as a result, an improved society.

For example, offering GED courses or Associate Degree classes, detox, and mental health services to prisoners while they are in the system are all restorative justice techniques, as opposed to punitive justice like solitary confinement or hard labor.

Whether you think the philosophy of restorative justice has any merit or not is up to you - but it's definitely a real thing striving for the same thing punitive justice does: a change in behavior leading to lesser recidivism and societal betterment by turning an individual societal leach into a contributing member.
Meh, kill 'em, let God sort 'em out.

:s0111: sorta

No, I was talking about the courts. I don't know where you got all that from. What I'm saying is social justice and restorative justice are misnomers. They are movements of their own and often have little or nothing to do with Justice.

No, I was talking about the courts. I don't know where you got all that from. What I'm saying is social justice and restorative justice are misnomers. They are movements of their own and often have little or nothing to do with Justice.
The "Big Lie" - which works every time it's used. Like "Affordable Care Act" of which only "Act" applies.

Well, you need morons before you can have oxymorons.

I thought oxymorons required oxycontin?

I have the solution….

1BA0339A-211E-4145-A83F-062251BF7184.jpeg

LMFAO! Dude used up his "second chance" pretty quick.

It's comical to me that gun owners in Chicago who fail to follow the bs restrictions would probably face legal jiu jitsu from this judge. But some half wit felon facing multiple gun charges gets a "second chance".

Just a normal day in Chicago catch, forgive four prior felonies and release system

What the f is "restorative justice"? Restore them to the community with no punishment so they can commit more crimes?

What the f is "restorative justice"? Restore them to the community with no punishment so they can commit more crimes?
They believe that you can shame criminals into not repeating their offence while making the victim feel better. But they use fancier words. Might work on a shoplifter but the more serious stuff is rarely committed by people burdened with a conscience.

You're just repeating yourself and not understanding the point that I'm trying to make.

When you say "Justice" - what you really mean is punishment, no? Someone steals your car and wrecks it, so the courts decide they owe you some cash and get to spend 2 years in jail. That's justice, right?

What if the same thing happened over in our friendly Taliban controlled desert town? Maybe instead they force the thief to give his car to you and he loses his left hand as a reminder not to steal. Ah, justice, right?

Or, what if, the thief gets sentenced to 2 years in jail but is given the opportunity to get an Associates degree while there, so that maybe, just maybe, he can find some opportunity on the other side? Is that not justice?

Social justice is a completely separate topic and should be taken off the table so as not to cloud the issue, regardless of what you think of it. Restorative justice is a paradigm/philosophy for creating the consequences that will be served up to one who breaks the law. It contrasts with punitive justice.

The system we have in the US is mostly punitive...given our recidivism rates, it is clear that it is not working. That's a big discussion though.

You're just repeating yourself and not understanding the point that I'm trying to make.

When you say "Justice" - what you really mean is punishment, no? Someone steals your car and wrecks it, so the courts decide they owe you some cash and get to spend 2 years in jail. That's justice, right?

What if the same thing happened over in our friendly Taliban controlled desert town? Maybe instead they force the thief to give his car to you and he loses his left hand as a reminder not to steal. Ah, justice, right?

Or, what if, the thief gets sentenced to 2 years in jail but is given the opportunity to get an Associates degree while there, so that maybe, just maybe, he can find some opportunity on the other side? Is that not justice?

Social justice is a completely separate topic and should be taken off the table so as not to cloud the issue, regardless of what you think of it. Restorative justice is a paradigm/philosophy for creating the consequences that will be served up to one who breaks the law. It contrasts with punitive justice.

The system we have in the US is mostly punitive...given our recidivism rates, it is clear that it is not working. That's a big discussion though.
No. Justice is based upon the perspective of the victim. Punishment is based upon the perspective of the perpetrator. Using the term "restorative justice" implies the perpetrator is a victim, and the victim has no one standing for them.

"When you say "Justice" - what you really mean is punishment, no?"
No. I think I've made myself clear on that.

Clockwork Orange is a dystopian prediction about the efficacy of the attitude that criminal behavior is a natural victim response and the social programs which arise from that theory.

"Justice" is the determination of guilt or innocence. Incarceration was always deemed "rehabilitation". Only doing time is ineffective "rehabilitation". Training may make the difference for some.

It's also a valid question whether support programs are effective or even work.
I don't condone police brutality, nor am I going to second guess (or judge) the LEO or the deceased in the Wendys incident. However, widen the angle on the lens and loosen the strictures held on "sanctity of life." In a different view, the societal cost of crime beckons the brutality to the fore.
As far as the OP, Armando was just plain dumb - seriously dumb.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top